4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
January 3, 2017, 8:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Maybe though it's best to address the issue now so it isn't an issue when we lose, if other teams have it and JF is so tight as to not allow additional coaching staff and S&C trainers then we are handicapping ourselves.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 35
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2017, 9:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Mariner_09
Maybe though it's best to address the issue now so it isn't an issue when we lose, if other teams have it and JF is so tight as to not allow additional coaching staff and S&C trainers then we are handicapping ourselves.

How do you know that JF is the one not allowing it? You don't. Town fans have to accept there is only so much money in the pot for playing & coaching. Simple economics you have to manage your outgoings based upon your incomings..JF and PH are not at fault for all the short comings of the squad and playing set up. That argument is getting very boring now.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 35
Mariner_09
January 3, 2017, 9:12am
Whiskey Drinker
If you noticed I said "if" yes there is an implication in my post, but we need to make sure we can compete against sides in this league, if by March-April time we are utterly knackered and others look fit then that could be a cause.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 35
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2017, 9:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
If you noticed I said "if" yes there is an implication in my post, but we need to make sure we can compete against sides in this league, if by March-April time we are utterly knackered and others look fit then that could be a cause.

Fair point, when you get to that stage of the season the danger is that players will be mentally drained as much as physically. I know they are footballers but 9/10 months of train, travel, play - train, travel, play must grind you down a bit. I am a fan of some form of winter break but it will never happen in the EFL.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 35
ginnywings
January 3, 2017, 9:17am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC

How do you know that JF is the one not allowing it? You don't. Town fans have to accept there is only so much money in the pot for playing & coaching. Simple economics you have to manage your outgoings based upon your incomings..JF and PH are not at fault for all the short comings of the squad and playing set up. That argument is getting very boring now.

Good points. The manager will have a budget and it's up to him how he wants to spend it. If he is successful and gets more bums on seats, then he is in a stronger position to ask for more if he feels he needs to add to his playing or backroom staff, which has already happened with Gary Whild coming into the set up. We have to trust that the manager knows what he is doing and gets the best out of what he has to work with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 35
MuddyWaters
January 3, 2017, 9:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
But if the gate is 500 per home game above budget hypothetically then the spend budget should be reviewed . Just normal business practice.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 35
ginnywings
January 3, 2017, 9:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from MuddyWaters
But if the gate is 500 per home game above budget hypothetically then the spend budget should be reviewed . Just normal business practice.

Yes, that's what i'm getting at. The gates have been good this season and maybe it is that which is driving the new signings, as we already have a big squad. Extra income could also be used to mitigate the seasons losses- that is for the board to decide.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 35
Mariner_09
January 3, 2017, 9:50am
Whiskey Drinker
I doubt the club budgeted for average gates of 5000 or more, maybe 4300 or something like that but if we say on aveage those 700 people spend £20 each on a programme, ticket, pie, beer or in the club shop then that's an extra 14k per home match, over the 12 games we've played at home that is £168,000 extra than budgeted, now I expect that the Checkatrade Trophy games cost the club a few quid so lets say we have 120k extra in the pot, that could sign a couple of really good players at this level.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 35
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2017, 9:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Good points. The manager will have a budget and it's up to him how he wants to spend it. If he is successful and gets more bums on seats, then he is in a stronger position to ask for more if he feels he needs to add to his playing or backroom staff, which has already happened with Gary Whild coming into the set up. We have to trust that the manager knows what he is doing and gets the best out of what he has to work with.

Also some of the surplus from gates receipts could be aimed at deal extensions for the likes of Omar & Danny Collins. Shaun Pearson (amongst others) is out of contract at the end of this term so it could also support agreeing terms prior to the end of this season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 35
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2017, 9:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
I don't want to sound like a "reliable source" but JF has told someone who I think is pretty sensible that an average gate of over 4,800 means that the playing budget gets a boost.

The interesting word in there is "average" so it takes time for any excess gate receipts to land in the hand of the manager as like any SME financial budget it is based upon a period of retrospective performance rather than week to week spikes.  

In reality Marcus may not feel the benefit of the current jump in attendances until the close season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fitness & conditioning

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.