ginnywings
January 3, 2017, 10:06am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I don't want to sound like a "reliable source" but JF has told someone who I think is pretty sensible that an average gate of over 4,800 means that the playing budget gets a boost.

The interesting word in there is "average" so it takes time for any excess gate receipts to land in the hand of the manager as like any SME financial budget it is based upon a period of retrospective performance rather than week to week spikes.  

In reality Marcus may not feel the benefit of the current jump in attendances until the close season.

It will be assessed now the transfer window is open. We have had half our home games, we are out of the cups, so no extra income there and MB said there was a meeting last week about this and the summer window. Attendances will have been collated and decisions made on further playing budgets. At least that is what i imagine will have happened as i have no clue in reality. There was a Telewag article earlier in the season saying that we had gone past 1 million in gate receipts for the first time in yonks and was beyond expectations. Bringing in better players now can only keep the crowds coming back or increasing hopefully, so it's the old speculate to accumulate scenario.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 35
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2017, 10:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from ginnywings

It will be assessed now the transfer window is open. We have had half our home games, we are out of the cups, so no extra income there and MB said there was a meeting last week about this and the summer window. Attendances will have been collated and decisions made on further playing budgets. At least that is what i imagine will have happened as i have no clue in reality. There was a Telewag article earlier in the season saying that we had gone past 1 million in gate receipts for the first time in yonks and was beyond expectations. Bringing in better players now can only keep the crowds coming back or increasing hopefully, so it's the old speculate to accumulate scenario.

Possibly but we may also sit on the surplus for a bit just in case we get half a dozen "below average" gates, who knows? What you may see though is a strange phenomenon for us and that is if Omar goes in this window any player we look at may have an inflated price tag as selling clubs will know we are sat on a bit of cash,

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 35
Cloudy
January 3, 2017, 10:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I'd be very surprised if the budget is worked out at an average of 4800 or anywhere close. They tend to budget conservatively ( which is sensible because if we were struggling at the bottom we would be perhaps struggling to reach 4000).

I would expect the budget to be set at around 3800- 4000 tops and as we are averaging over 5k that has to give the budget a boost hence we can get a couple more in this window.

The actual income per attendee is around £11 a head after VAT and costs. Expenditure on food and beers surely goes to the Caterers/Providers with a nominal sum to the club?
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 35
ginnywings
January 3, 2017, 10:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Cloudy
I'd be very surprised if the budget is worked out at an average of 4800 or anywhere close. They tend to budget conservatively ( which is sensible because if we were struggling at the bottom we would be perhaps struggling to reach 4000).

I would expect the budget to be set at around 3800- 4000 tops and as we are averaging over 5k that has to give the budget a boost hence we can get a couple more in this window.

The actual income per attendee is around £11 a head after VAT and costs. Expenditure on food and beers surely goes to the Caterers/Providers with a nominal sum to the club?

I think you are right. The budget will be worked out with a known loss built in which the directors will cover. Bigger crowds will lower that known loss and at some point the crowd size will eradicate the losses or even move into profit. The board will then decide in the window whether to spend more on staff or use the income another way. The consistently bigger crowds this season must be a welcome boost to the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 35
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2017, 10:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I think you are right. The budget will be worked out with a known loss built in which the directors will cover. Bigger crowds will lower that known loss and at some point the crowd size will eradicate the losses or even move into profit. The board will then decide in the window whether to spend more on staff or use the income another way. The consistently bigger crowds this season must be a welcome boost to the club.

It pretty much works like this I think all income will go into the trading account - The P&L, which is basically income minus costs. Once costs have been taken out any positive surplus (profit) can be moved to the balance sheet in simple terms the savings account period by period usually monthly..

Any decision to release money from the balance sheet back into the budget which is part of the P&L will be made on how strong that balance sheet looks and matched against a forecast of what income will look like in the coming months. That income could be underwritten guaranteed funds in the form of director commitment or sponsorship and obviously gate receipts, commercial income, match day sundry revenue etc...  

What the above actually looks like and when Marcus will see any of it only the club and its accountants know but all being well it will filter through now to a degree to keep the feel good factor alive now and then in the form of a larger budget in the summer when player availability is usually better.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 35
HertsGTFC
January 3, 2017, 11:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Cloudy

The 4800 number is what we need to add to the existing playing budget not establish it, possibly I did not make it clear when I posted. Did the £11 ex vat attendee figure come from the accounts?    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fitness & conditioning

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.