Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst - Confident
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 299 Guests

Paul Hurst - Confident

This thread currently has 4,418 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
October 24, 2016, 1:26pm
Guest User
One thing that really does jump off the page for me with Paul's departure is his confidence. He is working in perhaps the most insecure job there is, football management. Regardless of the fact that he may have been attracted to the Shrews by a decent improvement to his personal terms, he has never the less taken on a club that is currently rock bottom and looking like relegation cannon fodder. It would have been very easy for him to comfortably stay put at Grimsby, secure a top ten place or even possibly a play off place, in relative security. Finishing off  a half decent first season back in the Football League season with Grimsby would have been yet another enhancement to his CV for any positions that came up at the end of the season.

So I would have to take my hat off to Paul Hurst in admiration for somebody that has the courage and confidence in his own ability as a coach and manager to take on what is going to be a really difficult job. The bloke must really have a lot of self belief.

I will miss Hursty. He was in my opinion a cracking manager at Grimsby. Never got too excited and went about his business in a very professional way. He steadied the ship so to speak, and that was no easy job for a guy that was also finding his feet in club management. He didn't suffer fools and made some really good signings for us. Got us back to the Football League after putting in a lot of hard work.

I don't think there is a manager out there that won't be subject to criticsim at some stage in his career. Paul got his fair share of this - but nobody can ever argue that he did the job he was paid for and did it very well. Grimsby was club in pain, hurting from 6 long years in none league football. Paul Hurst took his time and got us back into the Football League. John Fenty & Co need congratulating too on recognising that Paul needed supporting and not sacking.

I wish him all the best and I will watch his progress form afar now with great interest. Tough job you've took on there Paul.

Exciting times ahead for Town now and I hope and pray that Mr Fenty appoints a good manager at a time when there are some really good candidates out there.
lew chaterleys lover
October 24, 2016, 1:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,715
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 120790
One thing that really does jump off the page for me with Paul's departure is his confidence. He is working in perhaps the most insecure job there is, football management. Regardless of the fact that he may have been attracted to the Shrews by a decent improvement to his personal terms, he has never the less taken on a club that is currently rock bottom and looking like relegation cannon fodder. It would have been very easy for him to comfortably stay put at Grimsby, secure a top ten place or even possibly a play off place, in relative security. Finishing off  a half decent first season back in the Football League season with Grimsby would have been yet another enhancement to his CV for any positions that came up at the end of the season.

So I would have to take my hat off to Paul Hurst in admiration for somebody that has the courage and confidence in his own ability as a coach and manager to take on what is going to be a really difficult job. The bloke must really have a lot of self belief.

I will miss Hursty. He was in my opinion a cracking manager at Grimsby. Never got too excited and went about his business in a very professional way. He steadied the ship so to speak, and that was no easy job for a guy that was also finding his feet in club management. He didn't suffer fools and made some really good signings for us. Got us back to the Football League after putting in a lot of hard work.

I don't think there is a manager out there that won't be subject to criticsim at some stage in his career. Paul got his fair share of this - but nobody can ever argue that he did the job he was paid for and did it very well. Grimsby was club in pain, hurting from 6 long years in none league football. Paul Hurst took his time and got us back into the Football League. John Fenty & Co need congratulating too on recognising that Paul needed supporting and not sacking.

I wish him all the best and I will watch his progress form afar now with great interest. Tough job you've took on there Paul.

Exciting times ahead for Town now and I hope and pray that Mr Fenty appoints a good manager at a time when there are some really good candidates out there.

I think it just points to a bust up behind the scenes, again, and he wanted to get away. Money may have played a part, but he had the benefit of reasonable money here and as you say was secure. I guess we will never know the real reasons.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 24, 2016, 1:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Something to do with wanting more backroom staff

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
1mickylyons
October 24, 2016, 1:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Whatever PH failings he is at the very least a steady pair of hands his type don't get relegated too often and that will suit any Shrews fanI just hope they dont want to be entertained and are prepared to travel if they want to see their team win?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
Dan
October 24, 2016, 1:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551

I think it just points to a bust up behind the scenes, again, and he wanted to get away. Money may have played a part, but he had the benefit of reasonable money here and as you say was secure. I guess we will never know the real reasons.

Honestly, I doubt it's a bust up. He achieved what he set out to do with town. Job done, he's looking for a new challenge. 6 years as manager of the same club is practically unheard of. Can't blame him for wanting a change.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 24, 2016, 2:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 120790

This is really naive. Hurst did a decent job here even if his personality didn't suit some people. By dint of good fortune, huge help from the supporters and a bit of ability he eventually managed to get the club back to where it should have been.

Confident? No. Sensible? Yes. Given that achievement, his star was at its peak in Grimsby he thinks. You could nearly hear the cogs going round in his head over the weekend.

"Criticism will break before long as because that gang of never satisfied clowns on the Fishy will be after my head at Christmas if the home form doesn't improve. The budget is spent, there is no chance of JF spending more on backroom staff that I want.

If I stay at BP the only way is down, the only way out is the sack.

So who wouldn't take a new start? Who wouldn't jump at the chance to leave all that sh!t behind and move up a notch at the same time. All I have to do is teach them how to defend, keep them up and hey presto I'm a hero again and ....... oh, is that Rotherham I hear on the phone?"

He has some ability in spotting players and he can coach a defensive game but he is a poor tactician especially during matches. However his clean sheet mentality and priority may be what the Shrews need right now. It's when they need a bit more than just a clean sheet and he has to dredge up some 3 pointers when the fun will start. I wish him well though. He did his best at BP and you can't ask for more than that.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
1mickylyons
October 24, 2016, 2:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
It could be argued the key to PH being promoted was the 110k the fans lobbed into his war chest
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
October 24, 2016, 2:24pm
Guest User
Quoted from 1mickylyons
It could be argued the key to PH being promoted was the 110k the fans lobbed into his war chest

It's what paid for Bogle.
Reply: 7 - 16
mariner91
October 24, 2016, 4:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,644
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from 120790

He was in charge for five and a half of those years?!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
chaos33
October 24, 2016, 4:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360

This is really naive. Hurst did a decent job here even if his personality didn't suit some people. By dint of good fortune, huge help from the supporters and a bit of ability he eventually managed to get the club back to where it should have been.

Confident? No. Sensible? Yes. Given that achievement, his star was at its peak in Grimsby he thinks. You could nearly hear the cogs going round in his head over the weekend.

"Criticism will break before long as because that gang of never satisfied clowns on the Fishy will be after my head at Christmas if the home form doesn't improve. The budget is spent, there is no chance of JF spending more on backroom staff that I want.

If I stay at BP the only way is down, the only way out is the sack.

So who wouldn't take a new start? Who wouldn't jump at the chance to leave all that sh!t behind and move up a notch at the same time. All I have to do is teach them how to defend, keep them up and hey presto I'm a hero again and ....... oh, is that Rotherham I hear on the phone?"

He has some ability in spotting players and he can coach a defensive game but he is a poor tactician especially during matches. However his clean sheet mentality and priority may be what the Shrews need right now. It's when they need a bit more than just a clean sheet and he has to dredge up some 3 pointers when the fun will start. I wish him well though. He did his best at BP and you can't ask for more than that.

As usual an excellent post. I agree.
I would add though that I'm astonished at the size of the gamble from Shrewsbury on a man with 10 minutes of league management experience to his name and I think they are likely to find themselves relegated. I care not either way.

I sort of wish Hurst well, but what he and Doig did on Saturday eroded a fair amount of respect I had for them. After the ill prepared, non scoring team folded pathetically, a coward sent out a liar to be his fall guy and answer the inevitable questions he didn't have the guts to take responsibility for - and this a strategy from a man who's big on honesty.

Cheers then lads. Good luck with the new job and that.

UTFM

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst - Confident

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.