Kris2
September 27, 2016, 11:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Watching Jackson tonight and reading his tweets, he's clearly short of confidence. Tuton in on Saturday for me.

And how long have you been  living in the bushes outside his house?
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
Tommy
September 27, 2016, 11:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Decent 1st half performance without working their goal too much. We played a bit of football though and Vose was dangerous drifting into the central area behind the strikers quite a bit.

Andrew, after a brilliant ball from Summerfield, played a fantastic ball in for Jackson who couldn't adjust his feet quick enough to take advantage.

Second half there wasn't a lot of football played as the long run of long throws and corners disrupted any rhythm/flow to the game. Think we still just did enough to deserve the 3 points though despite our only further real effort at goal was Bogle's fantastic quick chest and shot.

Macca did well tonight, looked assured coming for high balls, something he doesn't always do.

2 centre backs were very good. Thought Andrew was good too and he put another great ball in the box 2nd half which no-one attacked.

Summerfield and Comley were both very good. Vose as well.

Chambers works as hard as anyone in a GTFC shirt in recent years but unfortunately he's got no end product. Time and time again he gets into a good position and either stalls and can't decide what to do, or doesn't have the composure to execute anything.

Bolarinwa could've come on ten minutes earlier for me based on the above. He immediately started causing them problems even if he couldn't quite find an end product initially. Made the penalty when he had absolutely no right to do anything. Did well just to keep it in play, then despite gifting it to the defender he sprinted back on, robbed him and drove into the box. Couldn't quite tell if it was a pen or not but was pleasantly surprised to see the ref pointing to the spot.

I'd probably start saturdays game with what we had on today after the double substitution. Would be nice to see a better better movement across the line from the front two when we (especially Vose) has the ball 25-30 yards from goal. And we could do with getting a goal from open play as soon as possible before it drags on into a long run without one.

Up to 6th but still a right division with not many points in it, so important we don't get too carried away.

UTM

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
Marinerz93
September 27, 2016, 11:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
We had a decent first half followed by a largely anonymous second half. I felt the substitutions should have happened a lot earlier and we need to stop aimlessly lobbing it over the top. Some of Vose's play is becoming too predictable as he seems reluctant to take his man on near the 18 yard box.

I hope Hartlepool bring more than 39.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
OllieGTFC
September 27, 2016, 11:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Hartlepool bringing 40 well least it's most than 39 ahha

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
Golden fox
September 27, 2016, 11:54pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
Hopefully a big crowd in attendance on Saturday (5k+)The lads deserve it , an ok start,  after the last few results has turned into a really good one . Long may it continue . UTMM . Fox
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
mimma
September 27, 2016, 11:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Anybody noticed, we are one point behind 2nd. placed Loo'un?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 28, 2016, 12:00am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Happy with the result tonight which we just about deserved as it was only their keeper who had to make any serious saves although that was not too many.

Pretty much happy with everyone's contribution but accept Jackson looks short of confidence but I would stand by him.

My main reservation at present, for home games at least, is structure of our team going forward with Vose Nd Chambers wide we do not get enough players in the box for crosses and do not pick up enough second balls in the attacking third. Would like us to play with one wide player on Saturday, and big Tom probably worth a start, with Vose playing more centrally allowing Bogle & Jackson opportunity to drift wide left as required.

Failing that another 1-0 will do me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
OllieGTFC
September 28, 2016, 12:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
I know it's very earlier but could this be a change of fortune for the club can it really be our year yet again ? Surely if it is Hursty will go down as one of the most successful manager we have had since king Buckley long may it continue!! UTM

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
chaos33
September 28, 2016, 12:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
Maringer
September 28, 2016, 12:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
I have to say that I didn't think Newport were that bad.

A bit basic in their style of play (to say the least) but they worked their socks off to deny us space, Parkin caused us problems at times and they put us under a heck of a lot of pressure at times in the second half from the endless long throws/corners into the box which we struggled to clear well enough.

That said, we played much more football than them and defended well enough to earn a second clean sheet in a few days and I don't think McKeown put a foot wrong today, dealing with plenty of difficult balls into the box. Long may the defensive improvement continue!

I think the point made that we played some really good stuff at times up to the final third where it was a bit of a let down is quite correct. We need to do a bit better with the final ball/pass because otherwise, teams will double-up on us and shut us down. Great work from Bolarinwa to earn the penalty, but it was only an error by their defender that let him get back on the ball.

My chief concern was that we were bullied off the ball too often in the second half, being reduced to punting it long at times when we're not set up for that style of play. If we're going to be a passing team, we need to find a way to keep the ball moving even when under a lot of opposition pressure.

I'm enjoying the differences this season as we've got some really good footballers on the books now and I feel we should be a real threat on the counter if we can just start making some better decisions when on the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.