This thread currently has 8,466 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Mrs Doyle
September 27, 2016, 10:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Newport kept bombing those corners and long throw ins in the box for fat man and co it looked only a mater of time before one got converted but credit to our defense and Macca we held out fat man Parkin did have a header he should have scored but put wide.
They did their homework and had two men on Chambers .

Boggles holds the ball up a lot better and lays off good balls he took his penno well.

Credit to Hurst he brought Bolo and Tuton on and his trickery unlocked them. All in all a great battling three points but I do like the look of Collins he is very cool,confident and uses his voice to help others.

Onwards to saturday and the monkey hangers we owe them one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 44
ginnywings
September 27, 2016, 10:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Meza

Liam Trotter Ginny?

That's the guy. Him and Comley look very elegant and glide across the pitch. Comley just seems to know where to be and is very cool and calm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 44
MuddyWaters
September 27, 2016, 10:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Collins and Comley the stand out performers for me, honourable mentions for Bogle, Andrew and Pearson. Still think that having Summerfield and Vose in the same midfield is a bit of a luxury.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 44
KingstonMariner
September 27, 2016, 10:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Newport kept bombing those corners and long throw ins in the box for fat man and co it looked only a mater of time before one got converted but credit to our defense and Macca we held out fat man Parkin did have a header he should have scored but put wide.
They did their homework and had two men on Chambers .

Boggles holds the ball up a lot better and lays off good balls he took his penno well.

Credit to Hurst he brought Bolo and Tuton on and his trickery unlocked them. All in all a great battling three points but I do like the look of Collins he is very cool,confident and uses his voice to help others.

Onwards to saturday and the monkey hangers we owe them one.

Twice in the last two games against us he's done that.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 44
barralad
September 27, 2016, 10:48pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Not a great game but a great result. I cannot remember Macca being quite so commanding in his area. Is it the influence of Collins steadying the ship? Two clean sheets on the bounce from a team that was giving away goals like sweets suggests he must be having a positive effect. Macca made a couple of very good saves as well as being master of his 18 yard box.
Going forward Town were brilliant in the first fifteen yards of Newport's half but the final ball let us down countless times. Personally I'm not sure whether that is the result of certain players thinking faster than their team mates or a tendency for over-elaboration.
Bolarinwa looks like the phrase impact substitute was invented with him in mind.
Bogle, after a first half talking to from the ref settled down although his decision making was a little off tonight. However the way he brought the ball down and shot in the same instant which their keeper saved magnificently was worthy of a match winning goal in any match on any day.
I thought Summerfield played really well and Pearson is one player in particular benefitting from playing with Collins-didn't put a foot wrong tonight.
Newport were poor but could still manage a couple of very decent efforts. Parkin was generally well managed by Collins/Pearson. The look on his face when he missed a first half free-ish header had "What the f**k am I doing here" written all over it-priceless.
35 points from safety....
Bring on the Monkey-Hangers.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 44
Kris2
September 27, 2016, 10:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Newport were such a boring team to play against, it reminded me of games against somebody like Barnet nothing interesting really happens just lots of the ball pinging about and we seemed to settle into that rhythm for a while of lots of pretty tippy tap passes without pressing on goal but the moments we did press we did well and got a couple of saves out of the Newport keeper, Vose and Bogle work well together but a lot of the time it seems like nobody else knows what they will do both Jackson and Tuton seemed to not quite read passes at times. Defensively we did well at times the passing was sloppy and always seemed to find a Newport player but we didn't give them a way through and were solid against a side who isn't afraid to play rough.

Collins and Pearson did well with what they had to do,Andrew and Davies a little bit off at times but they made some decent tackles. Midfield wise Vose made some good moves beating players and finding passes maybe one too many passes at times when he could have just run at the defence instead of dragging the ball out wide, Chambers similar issues seems afraid to take a shot at goal, Summerfield was better tonight he's a strange one when he's good he's really good but then he'll not turn up one week just needs to consistently put out these performances where he's pressing and attacking, Comley has been good to have around he holds the midfield well and makes some good tackles. Bogle kept strangely quiet though had a really good shot saved before the penalty which he slotted away perfectly, Jackson hovered around but didn't manage to get much going for himself, Tuton much the same held the ball up well at times.

Bolarinwa did well coming on he's strong and fast which was giving them problems which won a penalty in the end while he was chasing what seemed a lost cause suddenly he had the ball and the chance came, he's a good player to have around he's willing to go for every ball and battle to keep hold of it and that constantly gave them problems. It's nice to actually have options on the bench.

I wonder how Parkin has a job at this point I guess at one time in his career he was a good striker but now he's just overweight and overpaid looking 10 years older than he is, he looks like he just plays Sunday league with the lads at work and after goes to the pub for a few pints and a kebab after, makes up for his abilities leaving him by just being a heavyweight thug jumping all over everyone and knocking people around, probably should have been sent off I guess he can still score a few goals but really he shouldn't be playing league football.

As dull a game as it was being able to get this 1:0 wins is important as any 3 points we get and that gives us two wins in a row to build on. Expecting a tougher more interesting game on Saturday.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 44
KingstonMariner
September 27, 2016, 10:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from promotion plaice

Well she was thinking about her sowing patterns at some stages during the game which I challenged her about "calmly of course" but the she is a Geordie and follows both Town and Newcastle so she was happy as well.

Like a lot of kids of mixed marriages, do your kids go to a Saturday school to learn their mother's language?

"Now children conjugate the verb to go."

y'am gannin
yoor gannin
wor gannin

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 44
moosey_club
September 27, 2016, 10:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
3 points .....but honestly.....we huffed and puffed but rarely truly  threatened their goal for all our play....one save of note forced by Vose first half, Jackson wasted the cross of the night when the ball struck his standing leg...
second half we looked devoid of ideas..slowly patiently passing the ball while letting Newport get behind the ball....Summerfield hit the post but no great goal threat generally....the standard substitutions on the 70 min mark (well 71 mins tonight) actually gave us what was needed, an impact sub, Tombola fast and direct with one intention....rescued a poor pass from Vose, superbly kept alive, left his man for dead...from where i was in the upper Smiths i didnt really see what happened but was suprised to see the ref blow for a penalty. Was he pulled back ?

Nicely dispatched by Omar and then Hurst slings on Boyce and invites them on for the last 6/7 minutes....cue squeaky bum time but we held out.

Third game in a row where we havnt sparkled up front...Jackson doesnt do it for me at the moment...looks like he has absolutely zero conviction in everything he is doing....better as a sub i think.

Newport...absolutely cr@p. You can see why they are where they are.

A change in the starting 11 for me on Saturday.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 44
Mariner_09
September 27, 2016, 11:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
My MOM was Shaun Pearson, looking more like the Shaun Pearson who was as solid as a rock for 3 years in the Conference before being dropped. Andrew (who I have been critical of) looked better tonight with Chambers in front of him who probably gives him more protection than Vose does, but was still susceptible to some poor defensive decisions.

Collins, absolutely what was required. Reassuring, commanding, organises the defence excellently and looks very composed on the ball. I thought Davies did well again, was solid if unspectacular.

Comley looks like a player to me. A good combination of footballing quality and bite in the midfield, he reads the game well for a 20 year old and can play incisive passes also. Summerfield also played well for me, he's a proper footballer along with a bit of energy, what we've needed for a while.

Vose looked threatening in the first half but his finally ball was often (not always) but often lacking and in the second half he was almost anonymous but still carries a threat.

Bogle, needed the ref to calm him down to get his game going and his hold up and build up was excellent as it has been all season and on another day that ridiculous touch, swivel, shoot would have gone in. He still needs to keep his head right though. He still flaps his arms around and shrugs his shoulders when it's not going for him.

And also Jackson was much the same as Saturday if a bit more threatening but he needs a goal for some confidence desperately.

Overall, excellent, if lucky result. Didn't see the challenge on Tombola but there weren't many protests. Tombola also comes in for Chambers on Saturday for me. They did play like a conference side with long balls and game based on set plays and long throws (which were dangerous incidentally) but Pearson and Collins are very good in the air and didn't appear especially panicked by any of them.

I thought tonight had 0-1, Jon Parkin, written all over it but I am pleasantly surprised.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 44
MuddyWaters
September 27, 2016, 11:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from moosey_club
3 points .....but honestly.....we huffed and puffed but rarely truly  threatened their goal for all our play....one save of note forced by Vose first half, Jackson wasted the cross of the night when the ball struck his standing leg...
second half we looked devoid of ideas..slowly patiently passing the ball while letting Newport get behind the ball....Summerfield hit the post but no great goal threat generally....the standard substitutions on the 70 min mark (well 71 mins tonight) actually gave us what was needed, an impact sub, Tombola fast and direct with one intention....rescued a poor pass from Vose, superbly kept alive, left his man for dead...from where i was in the upper Smiths i didnt really see what happened but was suprised to see the ref blow for a penalty. Was he pulled back ?

Nicely dispatched by Omar and then Hurst slings on Boyce and invites them on for the last 6/7 minutes....cue squeaky bum time but we held out.

Third game in a row where we havnt sparkled up front...Jackson doesnt do it for me at the moment...looks like he has absolutely zero conviction in everything he is doing....better as a sub i think.

Newport...absolutely cr@p. You can see why they are where they are.

A change in the starting 11 for me on Saturday.

Watching Jackson tonight and reading his tweets, he's clearly short of confidence. Tuton in on Saturday for me.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.