This thread currently has 8,502 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
September 27, 2016, 9:59pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

I said to my wife before the game I would take a 1 - 0 win before the game no matter how we do it, happy Town fan tonight am I.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
RoboCod
September 27, 2016, 10:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from promotion plaice
I said to my wife at before the game I would take a 1 - 0 win before the game no matter how we do it, happy Town fan tonight am I.

And your wife?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 44
Hagrid
September 27, 2016, 10:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,383
Gold Stars: 532
Get in!!!!!! And that is all that needs saying
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 44
Cloudy
September 27, 2016, 10:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
How many times in recent years have we lost games like that??

Left in very late and all thanks to Bolawinra, nobody else would have got to that poor ball from Vose but having got there, he beat the defender and it certainly looked like a stonewaller. Bogle put it away with aplomb

Earlier Jackson missed a chance that Swin would have buried!

Much better game from Danny Andrew, defended well and put in a couple of crosses of the highest quality. Davies not at his best IMO.

Pearson and Collins looked assured, Maccas handling was very good and a superb save late on to deny he fat geezer. Summerfield is growing on me and Comley goes about his business quietly and effectively. Sadly I think Chambers gave us more defensively than offensively

Great 3 points, two clean sheets on the bounce and another home fixture on Saturday. Be there if there is any way you can

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 44
Marinerdan
September 27, 2016, 10:07pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Newport were hilarious.

Waste time for 87 minutes. Concede. Go full 'Benny Hill mode'

Relegation beckons.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 44
chaos33
September 27, 2016, 10:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Bloody good result, ground out. Chuffed.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 44
promotion plaice
September 27, 2016, 10:10pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from RoboCod

And your wife?  

Well she was thinking about her sowing patterns at some stages during the game which I challenged her about it "calmly of course" but she is a Geordie and follows both Town and Newcastle so she was happy as well.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 44
speedy
September 27, 2016, 10:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +10 / -10
Approval: +445
Very happy with the result.

Their keeper made a couple of cracking saves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 44
ginnywings
September 27, 2016, 10:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Cloudy
How many times in recent years have we lost games like that??

Left in very late and all thanks to Bolawinra, nobody else would have got to that poor ball from Vose but having got there, he beat the defender and it certainly looked like a stonewaller. Bogle put it away with aplomb

Earlier Jackson missed a chance that Swin would have buried!

Much better game from Danny Andrew, defended well and put in a couple of crosses of the highest quality. Davies not at his best IMO.

Pearson and Collins looked assured, Maccas handling was very good and a superb save late on to deny he fat geezer. Summerfield is growing on me and Comley goes about his business quietly and effectively. Sadly I think Chambers gave us more defensively than offensively

Great 3 points, two clean sheets on the bounce and another home fixture on Saturday. Be there if there is any way you can

UTM

Which is why Andrew had a better game when Chambers came over to the left. Andrew gets a lot of stick but doesn't get much help from Vose defensively in most games.

I thought Comley was superb and the best player on the pitch. Reminded me of that guy we had on loan from Ipswich whose name escapes me. It wasn't the best game in the world but the standard is still way beyond the lost years. Hurst and Doig have tightened us up and we are not as open, but we are not creating as many chances lately either, but when you keep clean sheets, you only need the one goal.

Looked solid at the back, did some good stuff in midfield at times but we couldn't seem to find that elusive pass or cross in the final third. They seemd to block just about everything we attempted. They were better than i expected but don't look much of a threat going forward. Solid and organised but no end product, Bet they were gutted when that pen was given and converted but serves them right for all the timewasting.

Two pens, two wins and six points in 4 days. Lovely stuff and roll on Saturday, which should be tasty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 44
Meza
September 27, 2016, 10:27pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,639
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from ginnywings

Which is why Andrew had a better game when Chambers came over to the left. Andrew gets a lot of stick but doesn't get much help from Vose defensively in most games.

I thought Comley was superb and the best player on the pitch. Reminded me of that guy we had on loan from Ipswich whose name escapes me. It wasn't the best game in the world but the standard is still way beyond the lost years. Hurst and Doig have tightened us up and we are not as open, but we are not creating as many chances lately either, but when you keep clean sheets, you only need the one goal.

Looked solid at the back, did some good stuff in midfield at times but we couldn't seem to find that elusive pass or cross in the final third. They seemd to block just about everything we attempted. They were better than i expected but don't look much of a threat going forward. Solid and organised but no end product, Bet they were gutted when that pen was given and converted but serves them right for all the timewasting.

Two pens, two wins and six points in 4 days. Lovely stuff and roll on Saturday, which should be tasty.

Liam Trotter Ginny?

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 44
Mrs Doyle
September 27, 2016, 10:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Newport kept bombing those corners and long throw ins in the box for fat man and co it looked only a mater of time before one got converted but credit to our defense and Macca we held out fat man Parkin did have a header he should have scored but put wide.
They did their homework and had two men on Chambers .

Boggles holds the ball up a lot better and lays off good balls he took his penno well.

Credit to Hurst he brought Bolo and Tuton on and his trickery unlocked them. All in all a great battling three points but I do like the look of Collins he is very cool,confident and uses his voice to help others.

Onwards to saturday and the monkey hangers we owe them one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 44
ginnywings
September 27, 2016, 10:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Meza

Liam Trotter Ginny?

That's the guy. Him and Comley look very elegant and glide across the pitch. Comley just seems to know where to be and is very cool and calm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 44
MuddyWaters
September 27, 2016, 10:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Collins and Comley the stand out performers for me, honourable mentions for Bogle, Andrew and Pearson. Still think that having Summerfield and Vose in the same midfield is a bit of a luxury.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 44
KingstonMariner
September 27, 2016, 10:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Newport kept bombing those corners and long throw ins in the box for fat man and co it looked only a mater of time before one got converted but credit to our defense and Macca we held out fat man Parkin did have a header he should have scored but put wide.
They did their homework and had two men on Chambers .

Boggles holds the ball up a lot better and lays off good balls he took his penno well.

Credit to Hurst he brought Bolo and Tuton on and his trickery unlocked them. All in all a great battling three points but I do like the look of Collins he is very cool,confident and uses his voice to help others.

Onwards to saturday and the monkey hangers we owe them one.

Twice in the last two games against us he's done that.  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 44
barralad
September 27, 2016, 10:48pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Not a great game but a great result. I cannot remember Macca being quite so commanding in his area. Is it the influence of Collins steadying the ship? Two clean sheets on the bounce from a team that was giving away goals like sweets suggests he must be having a positive effect. Macca made a couple of very good saves as well as being master of his 18 yard box.
Going forward Town were brilliant in the first fifteen yards of Newport's half but the final ball let us down countless times. Personally I'm not sure whether that is the result of certain players thinking faster than their team mates or a tendency for over-elaboration.
Bolarinwa looks like the phrase impact substitute was invented with him in mind.
Bogle, after a first half talking to from the ref settled down although his decision making was a little off tonight. However the way he brought the ball down and shot in the same instant which their keeper saved magnificently was worthy of a match winning goal in any match on any day.
I thought Summerfield played really well and Pearson is one player in particular benefitting from playing with Collins-didn't put a foot wrong tonight.
Newport were poor but could still manage a couple of very decent efforts. Parkin was generally well managed by Collins/Pearson. The look on his face when he missed a first half free-ish header had "What the f**k am I doing here" written all over it-priceless.
35 points from safety....
Bring on the Monkey-Hangers.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 44
Kris2
September 27, 2016, 10:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Newport were such a boring team to play against, it reminded me of games against somebody like Barnet nothing interesting really happens just lots of the ball pinging about and we seemed to settle into that rhythm for a while of lots of pretty tippy tap passes without pressing on goal but the moments we did press we did well and got a couple of saves out of the Newport keeper, Vose and Bogle work well together but a lot of the time it seems like nobody else knows what they will do both Jackson and Tuton seemed to not quite read passes at times. Defensively we did well at times the passing was sloppy and always seemed to find a Newport player but we didn't give them a way through and were solid against a side who isn't afraid to play rough.

Collins and Pearson did well with what they had to do,Andrew and Davies a little bit off at times but they made some decent tackles. Midfield wise Vose made some good moves beating players and finding passes maybe one too many passes at times when he could have just run at the defence instead of dragging the ball out wide, Chambers similar issues seems afraid to take a shot at goal, Summerfield was better tonight he's a strange one when he's good he's really good but then he'll not turn up one week just needs to consistently put out these performances where he's pressing and attacking, Comley has been good to have around he holds the midfield well and makes some good tackles. Bogle kept strangely quiet though had a really good shot saved before the penalty which he slotted away perfectly, Jackson hovered around but didn't manage to get much going for himself, Tuton much the same held the ball up well at times.

Bolarinwa did well coming on he's strong and fast which was giving them problems which won a penalty in the end while he was chasing what seemed a lost cause suddenly he had the ball and the chance came, he's a good player to have around he's willing to go for every ball and battle to keep hold of it and that constantly gave them problems. It's nice to actually have options on the bench.

I wonder how Parkin has a job at this point I guess at one time in his career he was a good striker but now he's just overweight and overpaid looking 10 years older than he is, he looks like he just plays Sunday league with the lads at work and after goes to the pub for a few pints and a kebab after, makes up for his abilities leaving him by just being a heavyweight thug jumping all over everyone and knocking people around, probably should have been sent off I guess he can still score a few goals but really he shouldn't be playing league football.

As dull a game as it was being able to get this 1:0 wins is important as any 3 points we get and that gives us two wins in a row to build on. Expecting a tougher more interesting game on Saturday.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 44
KingstonMariner
September 27, 2016, 10:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from promotion plaice

Well she was thinking about her sowing patterns at some stages during the game which I challenged her about "calmly of course" but the she is a Geordie and follows both Town and Newcastle so she was happy as well.

Like a lot of kids of mixed marriages, do your kids go to a Saturday school to learn their mother's language?

"Now children conjugate the verb to go."

y'am gannin
yoor gannin
wor gannin

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 44
moosey_club
September 27, 2016, 10:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
3 points .....but honestly.....we huffed and puffed but rarely truly  threatened their goal for all our play....one save of note forced by Vose first half, Jackson wasted the cross of the night when the ball struck his standing leg...
second half we looked devoid of ideas..slowly patiently passing the ball while letting Newport get behind the ball....Summerfield hit the post but no great goal threat generally....the standard substitutions on the 70 min mark (well 71 mins tonight) actually gave us what was needed, an impact sub, Tombola fast and direct with one intention....rescued a poor pass from Vose, superbly kept alive, left his man for dead...from where i was in the upper Smiths i didnt really see what happened but was suprised to see the ref blow for a penalty. Was he pulled back ?

Nicely dispatched by Omar and then Hurst slings on Boyce and invites them on for the last 6/7 minutes....cue squeaky bum time but we held out.

Third game in a row where we havnt sparkled up front...Jackson doesnt do it for me at the moment...looks like he has absolutely zero conviction in everything he is doing....better as a sub i think.

Newport...absolutely cr@p. You can see why they are where they are.

A change in the starting 11 for me on Saturday.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 44
Mariner_09
September 27, 2016, 11:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
My MOM was Shaun Pearson, looking more like the Shaun Pearson who was as solid as a rock for 3 years in the Conference before being dropped. Andrew (who I have been critical of) looked better tonight with Chambers in front of him who probably gives him more protection than Vose does, but was still susceptible to some poor defensive decisions.

Collins, absolutely what was required. Reassuring, commanding, organises the defence excellently and looks very composed on the ball. I thought Davies did well again, was solid if unspectacular.

Comley looks like a player to me. A good combination of footballing quality and bite in the midfield, he reads the game well for a 20 year old and can play incisive passes also. Summerfield also played well for me, he's a proper footballer along with a bit of energy, what we've needed for a while.

Vose looked threatening in the first half but his finally ball was often (not always) but often lacking and in the second half he was almost anonymous but still carries a threat.

Bogle, needed the ref to calm him down to get his game going and his hold up and build up was excellent as it has been all season and on another day that ridiculous touch, swivel, shoot would have gone in. He still needs to keep his head right though. He still flaps his arms around and shrugs his shoulders when it's not going for him.

And also Jackson was much the same as Saturday if a bit more threatening but he needs a goal for some confidence desperately.

Overall, excellent, if lucky result. Didn't see the challenge on Tombola but there weren't many protests. Tombola also comes in for Chambers on Saturday for me. They did play like a conference side with long balls and game based on set plays and long throws (which were dangerous incidentally) but Pearson and Collins are very good in the air and didn't appear especially panicked by any of them.

I thought tonight had 0-1, Jon Parkin, written all over it but I am pleasantly surprised.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 44
MuddyWaters
September 27, 2016, 11:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from moosey_club
3 points .....but honestly.....we huffed and puffed but rarely truly  threatened their goal for all our play....one save of note forced by Vose first half, Jackson wasted the cross of the night when the ball struck his standing leg...
second half we looked devoid of ideas..slowly patiently passing the ball while letting Newport get behind the ball....Summerfield hit the post but no great goal threat generally....the standard substitutions on the 70 min mark (well 71 mins tonight) actually gave us what was needed, an impact sub, Tombola fast and direct with one intention....rescued a poor pass from Vose, superbly kept alive, left his man for dead...from where i was in the upper Smiths i didnt really see what happened but was suprised to see the ref blow for a penalty. Was he pulled back ?

Nicely dispatched by Omar and then Hurst slings on Boyce and invites them on for the last 6/7 minutes....cue squeaky bum time but we held out.

Third game in a row where we havnt sparkled up front...Jackson doesnt do it for me at the moment...looks like he has absolutely zero conviction in everything he is doing....better as a sub i think.

Newport...absolutely cr@p. You can see why they are where they are.

A change in the starting 11 for me on Saturday.

Watching Jackson tonight and reading his tweets, he's clearly short of confidence. Tuton in on Saturday for me.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 44
Kris2
September 27, 2016, 11:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Watching Jackson tonight and reading his tweets, he's clearly short of confidence. Tuton in on Saturday for me.

And how long have you been  living in the bushes outside his house?
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
Tommy
September 27, 2016, 11:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Decent 1st half performance without working their goal too much. We played a bit of football though and Vose was dangerous drifting into the central area behind the strikers quite a bit.

Andrew, after a brilliant ball from Summerfield, played a fantastic ball in for Jackson who couldn't adjust his feet quick enough to take advantage.

Second half there wasn't a lot of football played as the long run of long throws and corners disrupted any rhythm/flow to the game. Think we still just did enough to deserve the 3 points though despite our only further real effort at goal was Bogle's fantastic quick chest and shot.

Macca did well tonight, looked assured coming for high balls, something he doesn't always do.

2 centre backs were very good. Thought Andrew was good too and he put another great ball in the box 2nd half which no-one attacked.

Summerfield and Comley were both very good. Vose as well.

Chambers works as hard as anyone in a GTFC shirt in recent years but unfortunately he's got no end product. Time and time again he gets into a good position and either stalls and can't decide what to do, or doesn't have the composure to execute anything.

Bolarinwa could've come on ten minutes earlier for me based on the above. He immediately started causing them problems even if he couldn't quite find an end product initially. Made the penalty when he had absolutely no right to do anything. Did well just to keep it in play, then despite gifting it to the defender he sprinted back on, robbed him and drove into the box. Couldn't quite tell if it was a pen or not but was pleasantly surprised to see the ref pointing to the spot.

I'd probably start saturdays game with what we had on today after the double substitution. Would be nice to see a better better movement across the line from the front two when we (especially Vose) has the ball 25-30 yards from goal. And we could do with getting a goal from open play as soon as possible before it drags on into a long run without one.

Up to 6th but still a right division with not many points in it, so important we don't get too carried away.

UTM

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
Marinerz93
September 27, 2016, 11:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
We had a decent first half followed by a largely anonymous second half. I felt the substitutions should have happened a lot earlier and we need to stop aimlessly lobbing it over the top. Some of Vose's play is becoming too predictable as he seems reluctant to take his man on near the 18 yard box.

I hope Hartlepool bring more than 39.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
OllieGTFC
September 27, 2016, 11:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
Hartlepool bringing 40 well least it's most than 39 ahha

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
Golden fox
September 27, 2016, 11:54pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +339
Hopefully a big crowd in attendance on Saturday (5k+)The lads deserve it , an ok start,  after the last few results has turned into a really good one . Long may it continue . UTMM . Fox
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
mimma
September 27, 2016, 11:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Anybody noticed, we are one point behind 2nd. placed Loo'un?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 28, 2016, 12:00am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Happy with the result tonight which we just about deserved as it was only their keeper who had to make any serious saves although that was not too many.

Pretty much happy with everyone's contribution but accept Jackson looks short of confidence but I would stand by him.

My main reservation at present, for home games at least, is structure of our team going forward with Vose Nd Chambers wide we do not get enough players in the box for crosses and do not pick up enough second balls in the attacking third. Would like us to play with one wide player on Saturday, and big Tom probably worth a start, with Vose playing more centrally allowing Bogle & Jackson opportunity to drift wide left as required.

Failing that another 1-0 will do me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
OllieGTFC
September 28, 2016, 12:07am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
I know it's very earlier but could this be a change of fortune for the club can it really be our year yet again ? Surely if it is Hursty will go down as one of the most successful manager we have had since king Buckley long may it continue!! UTM

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
chaos33
September 28, 2016, 12:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
Maringer
September 28, 2016, 12:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
I have to say that I didn't think Newport were that bad.

A bit basic in their style of play (to say the least) but they worked their socks off to deny us space, Parkin caused us problems at times and they put us under a heck of a lot of pressure at times in the second half from the endless long throws/corners into the box which we struggled to clear well enough.

That said, we played much more football than them and defended well enough to earn a second clean sheet in a few days and I don't think McKeown put a foot wrong today, dealing with plenty of difficult balls into the box. Long may the defensive improvement continue!

I think the point made that we played some really good stuff at times up to the final third where it was a bit of a let down is quite correct. We need to do a bit better with the final ball/pass because otherwise, teams will double-up on us and shut us down. Great work from Bolarinwa to earn the penalty, but it was only an error by their defender that let him get back on the ball.

My chief concern was that we were bullied off the ball too often in the second half, being reduced to punting it long at times when we're not set up for that style of play. If we're going to be a passing team, we need to find a way to keep the ball moving even when under a lot of opposition pressure.

I'm enjoying the differences this season as we've got some really good footballers on the books now and I feel we should be a real threat on the counter if we can just start making some better decisions when on the ball.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
Madeleymariner
September 28, 2016, 12:27am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Just seen Bogles pen, really well placed keeper nowhere near it even though he went the right way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
Mrbusdriver
September 28, 2016, 2:35am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +70
Quoted from Mariner_09
My MOM was Shaun Pearson, looking more like the Shaun Pearson who was as solid as a rock for 3 years in the Conference before being dropped. Andrew (who I have been critical of) looked better tonight with Chambers in front of him who probably gives him more protection than Vose does, but was still susceptible to some poor defensive decisions.

Collins, absolutely what was required. Reassuring, commanding, organises the defence excellently and looks very composed on the ball. I thought Davies did well again, was solid if unspectacular.

Comley looks like a player to me. A good combination of footballing quality and bite in the midfield, he reads the game well for a 20 year old and can play incisive passes also. Summerfield also played well for me, he's a proper footballer along with a bit of energy, what we've needed for a while.

Vose looked threatening in the first half but his finally ball was often (not always) but often lacking and in the second half he was almost anonymous but still carries a threat.

Bogle, needed the ref to calm him down to get his game going and his hold up and build up was excellent as it has been all season and on another day that ridiculous touch, swivel, shoot would have gone in. He still needs to keep his head right though. He still flaps his arms around and shrugs his shoulders when it's not going for him.

And also Jackson was much the same as Saturday if a bit more threatening but he needs a goal for some confidence desperately.

Overall, excellent, if lucky result. Didn't see the challenge on Tombola but there weren't many protests. Tombola also comes in for Chambers on Saturday for me. They did play like a conference side with long balls and game based on set plays and long throws (which were dangerous incidentally) but Pearson and Collins are very good in the air and didn't appear especially panicked by any of them.

I thought tonight had 0-1, Jon Parkin, written all over it but I am pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for this. Before I get to watch the game, trust your write ups. You have a good understanding of football mate.

[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_3629.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_5619.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_18128.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://avatars.jurko.net/uploads/avatar_22656.gif[/img][/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
psgmariner
September 28, 2016, 6:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Comley was my man of the match. He was everywhere and for a defensive midfielder he is very skillful. Him and Vose were brilliant at slowing the game down and keeping possession.

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
Davec
September 28, 2016, 7:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Well this is the sort of game we often struggle with Isn't it, we've seen it time and time again when teams park the bus at Blundell Park we often come unstuck, especially in the conference, so I'm particularly pleased to come away with this one with all 3 points.

First, as mentioned previously we played some excellent attacking play but lacked the final ball all to often because Newport had some many men behind the ball, Vose and Bogle forced their keeper into a few saves down low, and other than Summerfields daisy cutter and Andrew's ball which Jackson got caught unprepared there wasn't much of note.

2nd half was very hit and miss, again only one team to come out and play football but as time went on it got very frustrating, I could see the players and the management getting frustrated, Bogle's tremendous instant turn and shot deserved a goal and their keeper made a terrific save, Bolarinwa made an instant impact when he came on, he looks leggy, but once he gets going, he's got a ridiculous amount of pace which will frighten any defender at any level, his final ball is sometimes lacking so I'm just wondering if he's better off cutting inside getting into the box causing mass panic and drawing fouls, rather than attempting to cross? Anyway he did expertly well to rescue a poor Vose ball, got a foot on it right on the line, his momentum carried him forward into the stand nearly, taking the corner flag out in the process, he got back up, robbed the ddefender, surged inside and ended up drawing a foul, and Bogle slotted the penalty away with aplomb for his 9th of the season

Mckeown controlled his box very very well, better than I've ever seen from him.

Collins and Pearson looked solid, Collins has made our defence much better, Comley was my MOTM, covered every blade of grass, his passing was excellent, shows good spacial awareness, he was outstanding.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
1mickylyons
September 28, 2016, 7:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
A grinding 1-0 win which in the past we would have drawn or lost Newport came for a point and set up accordingly and caused us problems ONLY with the long throw.I thought Town passed the ball quite well til the final pass then we seemed to over hit the pass if we can keep it tight at the back in the next 4 games that table could be very interesting?UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
oldun
September 28, 2016, 7:48am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
As PH has said, there are no easy games and this was a case in point. Newport had a game plan carried it out quite well, but apart from relying on Parkin, long throws and corners they offered little. At the other end they made it difficult for us. We kept going, playing some quality approach play at times, but could not find that final telling pass. The whole team put a lot of effort and skill in. I was really impressed by Comely, he bossed the central midfield, hunting down the ball and setting up our play. I see such potential for him. I also thought Summerfield had his best game for us. Apart from a couple of stray passes he was excellent. Really impressive how he managed to up the anti towards the end when they were throwing everyone forward. He was everywhere. Need to find goals from other players though, not just Bogle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 44
arryarryarry
September 28, 2016, 9:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from oldun
As PH has said, there are no easy games and this was a case in point. Newport had a game plan carried it out quite well, but apart from relying on Parkin, long throws and corners they offered little. At the other end they made it difficult for us. We kept going, playing some quality approach play at times, but could not find that final telling pass. The whole team put a lot of effort and skill in. I was really impressed by Comely, he bossed the central midfield, hunting down the ball and setting up our play. I see such potential for him. I also thought Summerfield had his best game for us. Apart from a couple of stray passes he was excellent. Really impressive how he managed to up the anti towards the end when they were throwing everyone forward. He was everywhere. Need to find goals from other players though, not just Bogle.

To be honest, did we actually offer that much more apart from the two long range shots, I thought it was a poorish game and we lacked width again until Bolarinwa came on.

Newport especially first half looked worse that many teams in the National League, although they improved a bit second half, if it wasn't for that daft challenge by their left back they would have gone away with a point.

I just feel that having Vose on the left who slows the game down too much for me and vary rarely tries to get past the full back and Chambers who doesn't seem capable of getting past the full back, we aren't getting the ball into the penalty area enough for me.

We are looking more solid as a defensive unit, I just wish we could put more pressure where it matters.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
Theimperialcoroner
September 28, 2016, 9:52am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,187
Gold Stars: 102
Not been to a game for a few weeks and was impressed.
Hit the post twice, their keeper pulls off an outrageous save and we looked to play swift attacking football.
Macca was much better in the air and he had to be. Pearson and Collins remind me of Lever and Handyside, a wall and a football combination. Vose looks fitter and bloody good. And then Bogle, the way he has finally learnt he can put himself about and be horrible to play against is the biggest positive of all. This means he's added that to his natural skills and we look to have a player on our hands. Enjoy him whilst we can as he'll be gone soon and hopefully we'll be very well compensated for that loss. There are plenty of teams who need to take that sort of gamble.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
The Yard Dog
September 28, 2016, 9:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
We have to remember that is a entire new team that has been assembled by PH, that has only played 10 league games together and in some cases just a few games.  The fact they have gelled together quite quickly is a bonus, yes they are missed passes and a lack of understanding at times, however the more they play together the better the understanding and positioning.

At present it good being a GTFC fan, exciting times lay ahead, lets take it a game at a time and enjoy the ride.

Its nice to see a up beat fishy these days, good points and opinions without pages of crap and bickering.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
acko338
September 28, 2016, 11:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,222
Gold Stars: 33
A string of good results to keep up from now onwards, starting with Saturday.

I believe that Bolinwara will develop and become a key player as the season progresses, with pace on the wing, opening up opponents in later periods of games - the move up will still take some adjusting for him and we will see the benefit in later games as he learns the trade at a higher level than before.

The competition for squad places is excellent at the moment, and if Diz is struggling to get a first team place, then Hurst MUST be pleased with how the team is developing for this level.

Diz will still feature as will Gowling once fit again, but the standard is now being set - "I'm in the team - you've got to displace me" attitude.

If Collins has given Macca his "confidence mojo" back, then the defense can become really mean and hence the rest of the team have less to make up for in the "goals for" section.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
Southwark Mariner
September 28, 2016, 7:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 82
Is 6th the highest we've been in the football league since pre-match Tuesday 8th August 2006?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 44
Grantley
September 28, 2016, 7:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
We were 3rd after the opening day!

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 44
Southwark Mariner
September 28, 2016, 7:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Grantley
We were 3rd after the opening day!

ha! Good point!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
A Brace Of Tees
September 28, 2016, 9:13pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +701
Gold Stars: 3
Main difference between this season and last is the speed at which we counter attack now. The first half had several examples of this where we broke away far more quickly than the team was capable of doing last season.

Vose is a real class act - doesn't matter that he doesn't have lightning pace when he has the ability to pick out passes which would be beyond most players in this league.

Admittedly things got a bit sloppier for a period in the second half as Newport started to impose their horrible game plan, like some pi$$ed up, bullying pub team, but justice was done in the end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
rancido
September 29, 2016, 8:36pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 120891[b
]Main difference between this season and last is the speed at which we counter attack now[/b]. The first half had several examples of this where we broke away far more quickly than the team was capable of doing last season.

Vose is a real class act - doesn't matter that he doesn't have lightning pace when he has the ability to pick out passes which would be beyond most players in this league.

Admittedly things got a bit sloppier for a period in the second half as Newport started to impose their horrible game plan, like some pi$$ed up, bullying pub team, but justice was done in the end.

Both Davies and Andrews take every opportunity they can to play the ball forward as quickly as possible from defence.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.