Garth
July 30, 2016, 10:27am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I liked Craig Clay but he isn't in the same league as McAlister. I understand everyone saying Toto will be a big miss but we need to remember that Toto made many errors in many games that wouldn't go unpunished at a higher level plus he wasn't the greatest passer of a ball. At the risk of upsetting a few, I would rather he was here than Shaun.

Well you have upset me, for heading the ball, toughness and sheer reliability even if not as fast as mistake a match Toto, my vote goes to Shaun.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
lew chaterleys lover
July 30, 2016, 10:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 75
I'd be interested in other peoples view regarding the need for such a dramtic rebuild of the squad and what people think of our contract renewal policy. I think PH may have decided early on that he wanted to go with a 4-3-3 formation this season or a derivative of it. But did we really need to release so many lads that had done us proud? Only pre season I know but I am not convinced by this new squad of players, I am worried we will struggle going on what I have seen so far. I am not convinced PH will be able to get his players to buy into a 4-3-3 seeing as he signed Frankie Artus, and Paddy Mccaughlin to play in a three man midfield before having to abandon it shortly afterwards then had those two as square pegs in round holes for the rest of their days at BP.

I am upset we have lost the majority of our promotion winning squad. I don't believe we needed this massive rebuild. I'd have liked to keep Nathan, Padraig and Craig Clay. Happy to lose Nsalia and Robertson (with a heavy heart). I understand Tait moving to the SPL, gutted to lose Nolan to a league one club but those I can understand why we couldn't compete. I am still angry we allowed Amond, a 37 goal centre forward to move on to a smaller club. The way he left after being offered a two year deal in January then going on to bag 37 goals and the club offering a ONE year deal in June is clearly a urine take by the club. If we are moving to a 4-3-3 then maybe Padraig wouldn't have fitted in? He'd played there for Morcambe, when he'd played there for us he did look ineffective.

I just think we handle contract negotions badly, perhaps as JF has had his hands burned in the past and had to pay off clowns. We hear of take it or leave it time limited offers, where if we were to negotiate slightly or try to accomodate a request or so maybe we would be able to keep proven assets like Carl Magnay, Jon Nolan (who could have been offered an extension after a few weeks of being here) and Richard Tait. We don't seem to reward excellence by tying players down to contracts mid season.

I think your post reinforces the old adage that we all have differing opinions on players. The players you mention helped us to a poor 4th in non league so I can totally understand the need to re build the squad for a division (and a good deal more quality) above.

Time will tell but had we kept the same squad and then did badly, people would be screaming at the lack of ambition so you cannot win I suppose.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
July 30, 2016, 10:37am
Guest User

I think your post reinforces the old adage that we all have differing opinions on players. The players you mention helped us to a poor 4th in non league so I can totally understand the need to re build the squad for a division (and a good deal more quality) above.

Time will tell but had we kept the same squad and then did badly, people would be screaming at the lack of ambition so you cannot win I suppose.

I can understand that point of view.

And 21 points behind the champions of course. I just think the manager has gone too far, clearly we did need an overhaul but did we need such wholesale changes? And how did our position over contract renewals influence the shape of the new squad?

Like you say, time will tell.
Reply: 12 - 22
MuddyWaters
July 30, 2016, 10:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Garth

Well you have upset me, for heading the ball, toughness and sheer reliability even if not as fast as mistake a match Toto, my vote goes to Shaun.

I understand that - just think that Shaun will get found out in this league.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
Rodley Mariner
July 30, 2016, 10:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from 75

Good post, but am I alone in thinking PH's record is just about average really. We never really looked like winning the league at any point over his sole and the joint managerial partnership. When you keep knocking at the door, eventually someone will answer. Minimum expectations at this club at that level were play offs, he's never exceeded minimum expectations and gets a lot of the supporters backs up. He has credit in the bank now, but wait until we lose five on the bounce.

I think there's a bit of a contradiction in your posts. If last season was average, meeting minimum expectations etc, why would you wish we'd kept that squad together for a shot at a higher league? I think the easy thing for PH to do would've been to keep far more of last seasons squad but he's rebuilt for a higher league. Higher risk but higher potential reward maybe?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
W.T.F
July 30, 2016, 10:46am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +29
Gold Stars: 2
The squad we have now (with vernon or another target man) plus toto almond and nolan would have been one hell of a squad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
July 30, 2016, 10:58am
Guest User
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I think there's a bit of a contradiction in your posts. If last season was average, meeting minimum expectations etc, why would you wish we'd kept that squad together for a shot at a higher league? I think the easy thing for PH to do would've been to keep far more of last seasons squad but he's rebuilt for a higher league. Higher risk but higher potential reward maybe?

Sorry, you miss my point. I believe the manager has been average throughout his tenure, not the players.
Reply: 16 - 22
July 30, 2016, 11:01am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I understand that - just think that Shaun will get found out in this league.

I think he will exel. He is excellent at reading the game, wins his headers, makes his clearances and leads by example. I think we missed him through the spine of the team last season. Especially away from home when you need your lads to stand up and win their battles. Shaun knows his limitations, which is another strength of his. He is good at what he does and I hope he will be a key player next season for us.
Reply: 17 - 22
ginnywings
July 30, 2016, 11:14am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Aside from Toto and Amond, i'm not fussed about any of the others apart from Tait and Nolan but both of those were understandable from the players point of view and i wish them well. I still don't understand why people held Clay in such high regard. He was bang average for me and has been replaced with better. My only concern with all the departures is the loss of squad unity, which is what usually gives a team momentum when they start to move upwards. The usual scenario is to replace players gradually as you move up the pyramid, but Hurst has just gone for it wholesale; some of it by choice and some of it where the choice has been made for him. He did say that whatever happened last year, the squad needed a shake up as players get stale listening to the same old message.

I've been a critic of Hurst but he has got all his teams promoted (eventually) and for me he deserves a season of re-assessment and re-building to see how he goes at this higher level. It's new to him too but he strikes me as a man who is single minded in what he does. Unless we are in danger at the wrong end of the table, i am just going to sit back and see what happens, hopefully watching a better standard of football along the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
Madeleymariner
July 30, 2016, 11:24am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Got to say I would rather have kept Toto than Gowling who had an absolutely shocking end to the season from what I saw
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Contracts and squad rebuild

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.