Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from livosnose

That's the sort of thing Aaron would say  

Does anyone miss him.
I do 😂😂

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 44
Tommy
July 27, 2016, 10:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from RoboCod
Jamie Vardy was deemed too small by Sheff Wednesday and released. He then had to decide between  dropping down the leagues significantly and making himself known by sheer effort and commitment and working his way up the football ladder, or writing a blog about it.

Spoke to a guy at the Wednesday academy recently and he says it's a misconception/myth that Vardy was released for being too small. He said he was released because at the time he just wasn't good enough.

But absolutely agree with your point.

I also don't doubt that some kids ARE disregarded/released due to their size though. Not saying this lad would've made it but it's daft to release a nippy and mobile finisher because he isn't 6 foot tall. If that wasn't the real reason then just tell him. Only the Coaches will know I suppose.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 44
KingstonMariner
July 28, 2016, 1:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner
Blog does come across as a bit of a whinge but can understand the lads frustration and upset.  It's a brutal system.

The age old 'good enough big enough' argument is currently championed by Josh Venney but I think there's still that mentality that if you're too slight you're going to struggle, especially in and around the level Town are at.

It's really simple, clubs like Town simply can't afford to wait and see if lads bulk up a bit.  Money is too tight to pin it on maybes.  We've seen ourselves first hand that when you're in the depths of the Conference it's not about planning for the future, it's about clawing like intercourse just to get out of there.  After that you can then start to think about a bit of future development.

There will be loads of lads like the blogger who are full of potential but have huge doubts over them physically.  But the focus is on the short term so rather than keep five or six of those lads for another year that money goes towards a quite average but physically capable player for the first team.  It might not be right but it's the nature of football.

I took in a few youth team games last season and I have to say how surprised I was with how small Town were in comparison to many of their opponents.  Be that just a freak occurrence that a particular year group are small or an actual philosophy of the club to develop talent based on ability not size, knowing that the physical side may come later on for a few of them.  I don't know which it is but I know which I hope it is.

I think it's been a feature for years. I'm always surprised how footballers are in general, but Town's homegrown crop always seemed shorter than many to me. I remember Woodses' side that won that competition at QPR were like mini-dynamos compared to the tall QPR lads. The philosophy in football these days seems to be find and big, rangy athlete and encourage him to play with a ball, rather than find talented ball-players and educate them to become rounded footballers.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
newfootballer
July 28, 2016, 2:33pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
School of hard knocks I know and it's never pleasant to be written off as such when not much you can do about your height ( I was in that place once....15 and only 5'1"!!) but if you're good enough, you can make it still

Maybe Dave Boylen ( or if he were still around the club Dave Gilbert ) could give this lad a bit of advice...they didn't do so badly

When I was a young player that question of being big enough was always being thrown at me, some of the comments being made were that they never believed I could mix my ability against anybody who was bigger than me.

My dad knew that I had to believe in my own ability so this is what he made me say before the start of the game
WHEN THE BALL IS ON THE GROUND EVERYBODY IS THE SAME SIZE  ITS WHAT YOU DO WITH THE BALL THAT MATTERS NEVER FORGET THAT
"
.  When you think it about the ball is more on the ground in a football match than it is in the air, not unless of course the managers who are in charge just want you to kick the ball forward and hope for the best
On a final comment I would say that you really had to believe in what you were doing, and I had a target because i wanted to play for Grimsby Towns first team, and I achieved it after a lot of people who should now better said I would not go any further than the youth team. Well they were wrong was they not.Dave Boylen

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
fleabag1970
July 28, 2016, 5:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Quoted from Davec

Why ??  

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › poor behaviour from GTFC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.