5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
July 27, 2016, 4:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Blog does come across as a bit of a whinge but can understand the lads frustration and upset.  It's a brutal system.

The age old 'good enough big enough' argument is currently championed by Josh Venney but I think there's still that mentality that if you're too slight you're going to struggle, especially in and around the level Town are at.

It's really simple, clubs like Town simply can't afford to wait and see if lads bulk up a bit.  Money is too tight to pin it on maybes.  We've seen ourselves first hand that when you're in the depths of the Conference it's not about planning for the future, it's about clawing like intercourse just to get out of there.  After that you can then start to think about a bit of future development.

There will be loads of lads like the blogger who are full of potential but have huge doubts over them physically.  But the focus is on the short term so rather than keep five or six of those lads for another year that money goes towards a quite average but physically capable player for the first team.  It might not be right but it's the nature of football.

I took in a few youth team games last season and I have to say how surprised I was with how small Town were in comparison to many of their opponents.  Be that just a freak occurrence that a particular year group are small or an actual philosophy of the club to develop talent based on ability not size, knowing that the physical side may come later on for a few of them.  I don't know which it is but I know which I hope it is.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 44
Davec
July 27, 2016, 4:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 42
I'm certainly not Aaron!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 44
rancido
July 27, 2016, 4:40pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,641
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from Davec

Just another opportunity for one of the " regular knockers " to have a pop at GTFC ! I would imagine that this same scenario has been repeated at every professional football club in Great Britain. Non-league teams are mostly composed of players who have been rejected by Youth Team set-ups at Professional Clubs and I bet a lot of these self same players thought they were world beaters by their family and friends.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 44
Hagrid
July 27, 2016, 4:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Davec
I'm certainly not Aaron!

I think you are, something ive said before
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 44
Davec
July 27, 2016, 4:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 42
Think what You like, try and prove it though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 44
oldun
July 27, 2016, 5:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
This sob story happens to involve Town, but don't have a go at the club. These things happen all the time at all clubs, it's part and parcel. Get over it young man and if you want to be a pro footballer work hard at your game and try other routes. If you are good enough someone will spot you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 44
MeanwoodMariner

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I too was told at 15 by GTFC I wasn't good enough to get a YTS deal. Absolutely disgusting behaviour from Town. But what was Town's loss was the West Yorkshire Wednesday night 5-a-side League's gain.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 44
mariner91
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,734
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Davec

Either way, you like to regularly have a go at the club but on this occasion you're way off the mark. How is it poor behaviour to release someone who, I'd bet my right bollock, won't ever play a match as a professional?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 44
livosnose
July 27, 2016, 5:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,175
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Davec

That's the sort of thing Aaron would say  

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 44
Green27
July 27, 2016, 6:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
Those grapes taste so sour he could probably make a decent bottle of wine

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › poor behaviour from GTFC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.