This thread currently has 6,697 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
benny1618
July 27, 2016, 3:04pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 2
I would question the lads need to write a blog, however he is just yet another victim of a strange coaching set up we have in this country. Unfortunately size and speed still matters too much in junior football and you only need to look at the local junior game to see how much pressure is put on youngsters to win rather than develop. This pressure is one of the reasons local adult football is in decline.
Anyway going off piste.
Good luck to the lad for the future, as others have said, get your head  up keep scoring goals and developing your game and if you are good enough it will happen, but as I'm sure you are aware the chances are very slim. Just look around the changing room with Clee Town and you will see any number of local lads who were with Town academy and didn't progress as far as they would have liked.
Enjoy the game for as long as you are able.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 44
Kris2
July 27, 2016, 3:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
That's just how it is at that level you are given a chance for success but there are no equal outcomes and for each kid that makes it there are 10 times as many that don't. Sometimes you get knocked back and you keep going and have success sometimes you realise it's not possible and move on. The cream always rises to the top. Very few people will make it as pro footballers at league level. If so many people could make it we'd have a lot more top English players in the international side.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 44
Hagrid
July 27, 2016, 3:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
dave C knocking the club again! surely not!

I was not too bad a player when I was younger, but due to having chrons disease I had problems with height and weight, and I was told I was too small to play, it happens, you get on with it, nothing article to me
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 44
dapperz fun pub
July 27, 2016, 3:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,047
Gold Stars: 84
Gtfc have not produced a player for yonks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 44
jock dock tower
July 27, 2016, 3:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Good job a young Lionel Messi never came knocking on BP's door, eh?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 44
bax
July 27, 2016, 3:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Gtfc have not produced a player for yonks

Except for Venney, Clifton and Max Wright who are in the first team squad? Or Dayle Southwell now playing for Wycombe?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 44
Rodley Mariner
July 27, 2016, 3:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from buckstown
I've done a lot of years in junior football and its a common trend for clubs to insist the dad goes with a child as they want to see how big they are and therefore how big the kid is likely to be.
Football in general tends to treat kids as disposable and its a pretty brutal process with so few making it. I tend to advise parents now not to go when the kids get invited to training especially at 9 or 10. If they're good enough they'll still be knocking at 12 and 13. Trouble is the parents and the kids are blinded by the potential and frightened their kid will be left behind.
The best kid I've ever seen signed for a championship side, screwed his education up and got dumped. It's a great shame but I don't see it changing much

Maybe you should recommend the parents do go but wear platforms and a couple of big coats?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 44
DocTower
July 27, 2016, 3:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
So the kid has been told by his parents and mates how good he is , how he's going to make it big time , told how much money he could earn . Bit of a reality check as it will be for hundreds of others , bit of a " Poor Me " write up . Go get a proper education  then decide where your  future lies .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 44
barralad
July 27, 2016, 3:39pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Davec

Some of the stuff you put on here slagging off the club reminds me of that lad Rattray who used to post on here but got kicked off. Are you Aaron?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 44
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 27, 2016, 3:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
For a few years now there has been a trend to talk kids up and not to criticise them or even show the realities of life. This is true of most things, not just football.

If the lad was good enough he would have been kept on. The club would have at the very least given him a decent shot at another position that doesn't require physical stature. John McDermott started out as a weedy midfield kid from Middlesboro who became a weedy winger before being converted to a pacy full back.

It is true that not too many league strikers in recent years have been really small and those that are generally play alongside a target man. It seems unlikely to me that he would have been rejected solely because the side was going to play 4-3-3 because no side would play 4-3-3 for 90 minutes week in and week out.  If this lad was good enough to do a job then a club of higher standing than Cleethorpes Town would have taken him.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › poor behaviour from GTFC

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.