Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from grimsby pete

O h it must be an English thing then,

Only non English players push themselves to be the very best,

I did not know that,

Seriously I do not miss seeing   Ronaldo, and co playing in our country,

I am only interested in Town players and the top English players getting plenty of game time in the Prem,

This must be the first English squad that are not all automatic choices for their club team.

Not what I said, I said it was down to money. Our young players are paid far more than young players in the rest of the world.

Thats a simple fact and is partly because of the amount of money in the British game.

There are players playing in the Championship that are being paid more money than players at Valencia, Villareal, most of the French league and AC Milan.

My point was (I thought it was clear) that players are set for life at a very young age and this therefore removes one of the motivators to 'make it' as a footballer. For the same reason that you generally see more footballers being produced from areas that are traditionally of poorer backgrounds. And this is nothing to do with 'British' players either, how many young players come through our ranks of any nationality?

On another note, which of the players arent automatic choices for their club sides? I can only think of Rashford potentially and he was as close to a first choice as you get under LvG. Maybe Wilshere but thats as much down to his injuries I suspect. All the others are in the starting XI when they are available.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
diehardmariner
June 27, 2016, 12:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,835
Gold Stars: 547
England are excrement, just like they always have been for the past god knows how many years with the exception of 1966 and maybe a few years after.  We were excrement pre-Bosman and we're excrement post-Bosman.  Our inability to produce decent sides is nothing to do with foreign players, it's far deeper than that.  You can point to the Academy set-ups if you like, I would go even deeper and say that our culture is completely wrong.  1) We suck the life out of the joy of football for kids, although I appreciate this is slowly changing there's still large elements of over enthusiastic parents living their lives vicariously through their children.  2) We've had Government after Government, school after school, council after council sell off playing fields.  Unless it's an organised game, kids don't have that many places to play football.  Kids will learn far more about the game by kicking a ball amongst mates then they will in structured environments.   The structure will come much later, let them enjoy the bloody game.

Really grates with me that we still hark back to achievements of something 50 years ago as if it gives us a god given right to to win tournaments.  Since 1966 we've reached two semi-finals.  1990 where we slipped through the group thanks to a single goal victory against the all-conquering Egypt side.  In the next round we rode our look against Belgium who hit the post god knows how many times and then against Cameroon we were five minutes from going out.  1996 was great and captured the imagination but the Scotland side we beat were junk, Holland were in complete disarray (although it still remains one of my favourite England performances) and then we needed penalties to beat Spain.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
biggles9999
June 27, 2016, 1:16pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from diehardmariner
England are excrement, just like they always have been for the past god knows how many years with the exception of 1966 and maybe a few years after.  We were excrement pre-Bosman and we're excrement post-Bosman.  Our inability to produce decent sides is nothing to do with foreign players, it's far deeper than that.  You can point to the Academy set-ups if you like, I would go even deeper and say that our culture is completely wrong.  1) We suck the life out of the joy of football for kids, although I appreciate this is slowly changing there's still large elements of over enthusiastic parents living their lives vicariously through their children.  2) We've had Government after Government, school after school, council after council sell off playing fields.  Unless it's an organised game, kids don't have that many places to play football.  Kids will learn far more about the game by kicking a ball amongst mates then they will in structured environments.   The structure will come much later, let them enjoy the bloody game.

Really grates with me that we still hark back to achievements of something 50 years ago as if it gives us a god given right to to win tournaments.  Since 1966 we've reached two semi-finals.  1990 where we slipped through the group thanks to a single goal victory against the all-conquering Egypt side.  In the next round we rode our look against Belgium who hit the post god knows how many times and then against Cameroon we were five minutes from going out.  1996 was great and captured the imagination but the Scotland side we beat were junk, Holland were in complete disarray (although it still remains one of my favourite England performances) and then we needed penalties to beat Spain.

And in both of these tournaments we won a total of 3 games. 1 in '90 aginst Egypt and then 2 in '96 (Scotland and Holland).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bosman ruling

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.