3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
June 25, 2016, 11:43pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.02
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Yeah, it was a court ruling on Jean-Marc Bosman's claim for freedom of movement between jobs ( a right enshrined in EU law the the old contract retention system in football contravened). After the ruling clubs could no longer demand a fee for out of contract players, which meant players could negotiate better wages.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
Biccys
June 26, 2016, 2:11am
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Is he any good, this Bosman fella? I mean, CHDAJATL?

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 22
KingstonMariner
June 26, 2016, 4:32pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Biccys
Is he any good, this Bosman fella? I mean, CHDAJATL?

Spotted my first CHDAJATL of the season. It's getting earlier and earlier each year. Must be global warming.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
Tinymariner
June 27, 2016, 1:26am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
So, is it fair that an out of contract player can just leave a club without someone paying a fee for him to the current club? I'm not looking for regulations or legislation, I'm interested to know people's personal opinions.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
bax
June 27, 2016, 9:29am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,647
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Yeah, it was a court ruling on Jean-Marc Bosman's claim for freedom of movement between jobs ( a right enshrined in EU law the the old contract retention system in football contravened). After the ruling clubs could no longer demand a fee for out of contract players, which meant players could negotiate better wages.

Yes I know that! But the ruling was adopted by FIFA and UEFA, same way as the transfer window actually restricts freedom of movement yet is still a FIFA rule.

Yes, in theory, if we came out of the EU we wouldn't need to abide by the Bosman ruling. But it would still be a FIFA and UEFA rule which clubs would still have to abide by unless they are no longer in competitions governed by those organisations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
KingstonMariner
June 27, 2016, 10:54am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from bax

Yes I know that! But the ruling was adopted by FIFA and UEFA, same way as the transfer window actually restricts freedom of movement yet is still a FIFA rule.

Yes, in theory, if we came out of the EU we wouldn't need to abide by the Bosman ruling. But it would still be a FIFA and UEFA rule which clubs would still have to abide by unless they are no longer in competitions governed by those organisations.

Didn't realise they'd actually written it into their rules.

So far no one has tested the transfer window's legality. I guess the EC are not prioritising it and just leaving it to individuals to take up a case.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
KingstonMariner
June 27, 2016, 10:58am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Tinymariner
So, is it fair that an out of contract player can just leave a club without someone paying a fee for him to the current club? I'm not looking for regulations or legislation, I'm interested to know people's personal opinions.

Yes. On the whole it's fair. The opposite is a modified form of indentured labour.

My reservation is about clubs that develop talent having their investment snatched away - something which the carve out on young players attempts to rectify. But in other industries there is no protection for the employer who trains young people, unlike the old old days when you were 'bound an apprentice for 7 years'.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
grimsby pete
June 27, 2016, 11:33am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.77
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,850
Gold Stars: 223
My personal view is I would like to see less European players and managers coming into the countey,

The days of an ENGLISH club being managed by a coach from abroad selecting non English players will only be better for the national side,

A limit of 5 players per team will be fair giving our own grown players a better chance of making it in the game,

It will also help bring down the silly money being paid to the top players,

So Man U and C, Chelsea ect will not be able to compete with Barca and Real, who cares ?

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
biggles9999
June 27, 2016, 11:48am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from grimsby pete
My personal view is I would like to see less European players and managers coming into the countey,

The days of an ENGLISH club being managed by a coach from abroad selecting non English players will only be better for the national side,

A limit of 5 players per team will be fair giving our own grown players a better chance of making it in the game,

It will also help bring down the silly money being paid to the top players,

So Man U and C, Chelsea ect will not be able to compete with Barca and Real, who cares ?

Because of course the England national team was amazing during the 70's and 80's when foreign players were a rarity in our teams.

My own personal view is that if an English player is good enough, then he will force himself past the foreigners. Maybe part of the problem is the amount of money the young players are paid and so they dont push themselves.

A young player even being paid 10k a week (of which there are several) can potentially be set for life on a 3 year deal, providing they are sensible with the money. Why would they want to push themselves, unless they have the motivation to be the best, which lets be honest very few actually have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
grimsby pete
June 27, 2016, 12:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.77
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,850
Gold Stars: 223
Quoted from biggles9999

Because of course the England national team was amazing during the 70's and 80's when foreign players were a rarity in our teams.

My own personal view is that if an English player is good enough, then he will force himself past the foreigners. Maybe part of the problem is the amount of money the young players are paid and so they dont push themselves.

A young player even being paid 10k a week (of which there are several) can potentially be set for life on a 3 year deal, providing they are sensible with the money. Why would they want to push themselves, unless they have the motivation to be the best, which lets be honest very few actually have.

O h it must be an English thing then,

Only non English players push themselves to be the very best,

I did not know that,

Seriously I do not miss seeing   Ronaldo, and co playing in our country,

I am only interested in Town players and the top English players getting plenty of game time in the Prem,

This must be the first English squad that are not all automatic choices for their club team.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bosman ruling

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.