Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How the tables have turned.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 203 Guests

How the tables have turned.

This thread currently has 9,011 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Marinerz93
May 28, 2016, 11:42am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from GrimRob
We've spent six years accusing many of our counterparts as tinpot pub sides. Now the boot is on the other foot. We have to earn our stripes.

We earned those stripes at Championship level for years, we've played more in the top two flights of football than we have the lower two and have over a 100 years league history, people calling us tinpot have tinpot knowledge about football.

It's about recognition, who are Grimsby and their fans, anyone outside the Championship should fear us, we were an injured wild animal keeping low, licking our wounds, now we have recovered some what, watch out.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 55
FishOutOfWater
May 28, 2016, 11:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from lukeo
couldn't care less what people think of our support, they'll get a shock when we turn up in numbers loud and proud

Not everyone out there is going to be shocked

I rang Sky last night to sort out my subscriptions - supposedly to get rid of sports now the season has just about finished but as usual they ask why and can they offer a deal

While talking abut the football they had on offer the bloke on the other end of the phone mentioned he supported Cardiff, to which I of course threw in our Slade connection

That was like I'd switched a light on with him...he was Grimsby this, Grimsby that. Knew all about our double Wembley weekend and said he follows what our fans are up to from different sites ( Football Away Days etc I assume ) and how amazing the Town support is

It might all have been part of him preparing the way for me to sign up with Sky again of course, but it would take a very clever salesman to have such knowledge of our club all the way down where he's based without showing more than a passing interest

As I said above in another post I am certain there will be as many genuine football fans who will welcome us back in to the league with open arms as there are who might think we are ne'er-do-wells coming up from the non-league

I'm sure there'll be plenty of fans at clubs around the country who will respect us and our support and if some don't....well we'll just out-sing them I'm sure!

UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 51 - 55
KingstonMariner
May 28, 2016, 2:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

It might all have been part of him preparing the way for me to sign up with Sky again of course, but it would take a very clever salesman to have such knowledge of our club all the way down where he's based without showing more than a passing interest

UTM GTID

Ha ha! Yes it would be a bloody good CRM system if he could just click the appropriate button to find bants for the relevant club!

I agree you can usually tell the knowledgeable fans out there. Partly it's an age thing, I guess with fans below a certain age not knowing our not too distant history. But with t'internet, even a lot of those youngsters will have seen 'our' activity.

Remember "is in. is in. is in the fookin bin!"

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 55
rancido
May 29, 2016, 12:05pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,609
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Garth
Away day fancy dress for Hartlepool has to be Planet of the Apes  

Even their mascot is called H'Angus The Monkey !!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 55
KingstonMariner
May 29, 2016, 3:17pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

Even their mascot is called H'Angus The Monkey !!

He was even their mayor for a few years.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 55
Rik e B
May 29, 2016, 3:38pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
I think it's an age thing. Take a look at all the teenagers and kids supporting Town now -most of them have never known anything but non-league football.

Add to that in any case I think the vast majority of the types of people to make such comments online are generally the younger.

Worked round the country a lot till recently and most customers I spoke to who into football shocked and saddened by our demise saying what a great old club we are. Some even reminisced on loving BP away days or hailing one of our giant killings against them or a near rival.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How the tables have turned.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.