Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How the tables have turned.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 210 Guests

How the tables have turned.

This thread currently has 9,014 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
May 27, 2016, 6:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Hartlepool is amusing as their biggest attendance of the season was 5046 but that was second to last game against Pompey so what are the odds that Pompey contributed at least 1000 of that? They couldn't even muster 5000 at home for a game in the fa cup against Derby ffs! And they have the nerve to question our following  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
Les Brechin
May 27, 2016, 6:33pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,716
Gold Stars: 174
Yeah, the Hartlepool 8-1 game was a Friday night as I can remember Jeff Stelling kept banging on about it on Soccer Saturday that he hadn't been able to report all the goals.

I can also remember going there on New Years Eve in the late 80's. We had a good 3 or 4 hundred there that day including The Pink Panther, Sylvester The Cat, The Incredible Hulk, King Kong and a few others. We lost 4-2 but we had a great day out,

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
headingly_mariner
May 27, 2016, 6:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Les Brechin
Yeah, the Hartlepool 8-1 game was a Friday night as I can remember Jeff Stelling kept banging on about it on Soccer Saturday that he hadn't been able to report all the goals.

I can also remember going there on New Years Eve in the late 80's. We had a good 3 or 4 hundred there that day including The Pink Panther, Sylvester The Cat, The Incredible Hulk, King Kong and a few others. We lost 4-2 but we had a great day out,

That was a shite Friday night, i think I went to every game home and away that season. I never dreamt we would be relegated right up until we were!!

Fans of Chesterfield and Hartlepool calling us tinpot and questioning our followings is amusing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
FishOutOfWater
May 27, 2016, 11:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
For every fan of such clubs who belittle us I'd bet there are just as many fans of other teams out there who respect us for what we once were, where we we've been recently  and where we're now back to....

Our history has never been like the Chesterfileds and Hartlepools of this world, year after year at the same level more or less, nor will it ever be I'd say....they might think they're stable and settled at their level but all it takes is one bad season or two and they could be the next Tranmere

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 55
barralad
May 27, 2016, 11:59pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,295
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Maringer

I think it was a Friday night game so no surprise there wouldn't have been too much of a following. I was at a friend's wedding and didn't find out the score until the morning - I thought that the person telling me was taking the urine!

Hartlepool have been a couple of divisions below us for most of the time I've been supporting Town so it seems funny that their fans should consider us as some sort of a small club! In recent years, they've been a division or two above us but this marks our worst ever spell at the same time they've had their best ever spell. Not to mention our average attendance was higher this season than theirs, despite the fact that most of our opponents only brought two men and a dog with them.

It will be a nice change to see a few more opposition fans this season. Good for the coffers as well.

Definitely a Friday game. I was working in Stockton at the time and went to the game with two Hartlepool S/T holders. By the time the fifth one went in they were pi**ing themselves, especially as all week I'd been telling them they were going to be on the receiving end of a hammering from a resurgent Town team who'd adjusted to life in League One...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
GrimRob
May 28, 2016, 6:43am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
We've spent six years accusing many of our counterparts as tinpot pub sides. Now the boot is on the other foot. We have to earn our stripes.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 55
H19P1
May 28, 2016, 6:49am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
I agree 110% with Grim Rob

Need to prove ourselves and earn those stripes

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
DocTower
May 28, 2016, 7:17am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from GrimRob
We've spent six years accusing many of our counterparts as tinpot pub sides. Now the boot is on the other foot. We have to earn our stripes.

Exactly it might to some of these teams something to think about if the get the drop as we did . We've had 6 years of going to Woking Eastleigh, ,Braintree  Tamworth etc . You have to respect them for the way they run their clubs and how they finance themselves . The premiership is so far out of sight with the same clubs see sawing every season . They see every other team below themselves  as tinpot with the obscene amount of money they receive , we can only do our best but make sure it doesn't  happen again .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
lukeo
May 28, 2016, 7:59am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,386
Gold Stars: 149
couldn't care less what people think of our support, they'll get a shock when we turn up in numbers loud and proud
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
Bignic69
May 28, 2016, 8:19am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
I couldn't give a monkeys fart if they think we're 'tinpot' we all know better and anyone with half a brain cell will know what a Big, historical and traditionally proud club we really are.
I can't wait for those freezing cold Tuesday nights when the likes of Blackpool and Portsmouth come to town and their players hearts sink when they walk out to 5-6 thousand screaming mariners......Job half done.  

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › How the tables have turned.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.