Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te

This thread currently has 23,913 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
WokingMariner
January 6, 2015, 12:16pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +160
Gold Stars: 2

The people I go with aren't negative people; we don't boo unless something shocking happens.

But we are fed up. Fed up with a decade or more of underachievement (putting it mildly), we are fed up with the whole matchday experience of seeing our beloved Mariners struggling to come to terms with a bunch of part time players.

Most of all we are fed up with the "Board" who have no plan or vision or enough money to do what they should have done 5 years ago - pay for the best manager and players who would give us the best shot of getting back to the league. We kept Neil Woods on for Gods sake!!

Like most (all?) things Mr.Fenty touches his posts on here haven't gone according to plan. Unlike at BP he is not surrounded by people who rely on him for their livelihood, and he has realized that funnily enough we don't think he is Gods gift to the Football Club.

Most of all I am fed up with the complete lack of ambition from all concerned. There is ONE guaranteed promotion in this league, and even at this low, non league level, we haven't set our stall out to go for it.

The playoffs should be a consolation prize (to win at all costs if we happen to be in them) but not an aspiration.  

It's this sort of attitude which is the heart of the problem. We are a non-league side now, you have to accept that. If you set the bar so high that everything but finishing top of the league is a failure then you are always going to be disappointed. There are plenty of big clubs in this league with lots of money. We have no right to be top, great if we are, but you cannot demand it.

Up the Mighty Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 120
TAGG
January 6, 2015, 1:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from WokingMariner

It's this sort of attitude which is the heart of the problem. We are a non-league side now, you have to accept that. If you set the bar so high that everything but finishing top of the league is a failure then you are always going to be disappointed. There are plenty of big clubs in this league with lots of money. We have no right to be top, great if we are, but you cannot demand it.

Town fans dont have an 'attitude' they are realists. When Town were a Championship club all knew that survival in that league for a club our size was good season.
Just as now they now know that winning this league is well within the bounds of a club of this size and should be the goal which it never has been because of the 'we will try for the play offs and see what happens' attitude from the very top down to fans like you.
As for as other clubs are concerned I couldnt give a toss about them. Its all about what we do.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 120
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 6, 2015, 1:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

We are not a non-league side. We are a league side that by sheer bad management finds itself in the conference. It is defeatist attitudes that got us where we are and defeatist attitudes on the pitch and in the boardroom that are keeping us here. We have every right to be top and every right to demand it.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 120
Tommy
January 6, 2015, 1:06pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
I remember this from 5 years ago.

http://thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8501178

Another of Fenty's needless interfering statements. How JF sings a different tune now. I'm not comparing the two sets of players but interesting to see his approach to those without mental character then compared to what it seemingly is now.

"Weed out the weak minded" he said.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 120
Les Brechin
January 6, 2015, 1:14pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,709
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Garth

A come back and bite your rse statement when it pans out per usual at the seasons end Les

It's got nothing to do with where we finish at the end of the season Garth, I'm talking about our position NOW. Ok, we've been pretty poor recently and there needs to be an improvement if we are to stay in the top 5 but the facts are we are currently still 4th with at least a 3 point cushion AND a game in hand over most of the chasing pack.

Because of the archaic promotion/relegation system still in this league it will always be pretty difficult to be THE best team out of 24. It's just the massive over-reaction on here from some posters is quite frankly laughable.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 120
GrimRob
January 6, 2015, 1:21pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Tommy

Another of Fenty's needless interfering statements. How JF sings a different tune now. I'm not comparing the two sets of players but interesting to see his approach to those without mental character then compared to what it seemingly is now.

There's a big difference though. We're fourth now (despite all the histrionics and self-searching), we were near the bottom of the league when he said that. The players have hardly failed this year, they have largely as a group done what they have been paid to do. I''d happily settle on being 4th on 6th January in whatever league we happen to be in every year for the rest of my life.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 120
highcliff mariner
January 6, 2015, 1:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from GrimRob

There's a big difference though. We're fourth now (despite all the histrionics and self-searching), we were near the bottom of the league when he said that. The players have hardly failed this year, they have largely as a group done what they have been paid to do. I''d happily settle on being 4th on 6th January in whatever league we happen to be in every year for the rest of my life.

As it appears , does PH and JF.     About sums it up  i think .

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 120
dapperz fun pub
January 6, 2015, 1:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,929
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Tommy

How time fly's eh
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
January 6, 2015, 2:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,715
Gold Stars: 236

You miss the point entirely.

If a club of our size cannot aspire to come top of the Conference then we have to ask serious questions about the people running the club on our behalf.

And what if we slip, in time, further down the pyramid? Do we keep lowering the bar then?

Unless you are absolutely and ruthlessly focused on getting back our league status we could be down here or lower for donkeys years.  
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 120
Marinerdan
January 6, 2015, 2:32pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from RoboCod

This is the major point for me. It's Luton-syndrome...the crashing reality that hits (some) supporters that signals the lack of faith in the team/manager come the seasons end, regardless of how you start/where you are at New Year/who you beat and by how many.

I remember The Fishy acting in surprise just a couple of seasons back when Luton were on Money's back despite them being top 3 or 4.
We're now in that same position, I feel, that of being relatively 'well off' in terms of league position, being told to be thankful that we're in with a great chance of promotion by some, but deep down knowing that, like Money's Luton, we will bottle the major games and still be beaten by the most basic teams with their 30 fans after doing our bit and 'packing the Park'.

In Hurst we have our own Richard Money, and IMO we now need our John Still to push us that bit further over the line.
Just my own non-hysterical, non-abusive version of things.

The same Money who won the play offs with Cambridge last year. Interesting he could do it at Cambridge with a smaller budget but lower expectations.

Finding a manager that can handle the crowds expectations is difficult, especially at this level. It's interesting that Still is an ex salesman, he knows how to manage his own reputation, others expectations and how to flog something! Ultimately he knows how to be 'liked', and it's a very difficult thing to learn.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.