Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 24 Guests

Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te

This thread currently has 23,731 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
January 8, 2015, 8:55pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from grimsby pete

I agree, why does Hurst set up the team so defensively at home.

To travel all the way from Suffolk to watch a rare home game ( I get to more away games )

To find out Hurst starts the game with one striker,

Do you not have any confidence  in your team Hurst ?

Start the game on the front foot and attack and you will find the fans will get behind the team and you.

I know sweet F.A. about tactics but I'd challenge the view that we've started any of the last 3 home games with one striker. Our failure to win v Lincoln and Macc was as much to do with missed chances...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 120
arryarryarry
January 8, 2015, 10:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,940
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from barralad

I know sweet F.A. about tactics but I'd challenge the view that we've started any of the last 3 home games with one striker. Our failure to win v Lincoln and Macc was as much to do with missed chances...

I would put it more down to us being sh!te defensively and having two wide men who couldn't get passed my dead granny.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 120
barralad
January 9, 2015, 9:10am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from arryarryarry

I would put it more down to us being sh!te defensively and having two wide men who couldn't get passed my dead granny.

Yeah but we didn't start with one striker?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 120
darren9
January 9, 2015, 9:16am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +590
Gold Stars: 39
It seems pretty obvious that those in charge do believe that there is a negative attitude.

The major shareholder certainly thinks so. The manager has mentionned it on more than one occasion and apparently the players feel it too. Whether us the fans think it is an issue is pretty much a mute point as 'the club' really do.

So, what steps are being done to combat this negative attitude? ... from what I can see apart from berrating the fans they're doing nothing. Saying that there is a negative attitude is a self fufilling prophecy - you keep telling us we're negative and we will be negative. having a go at your own support creates an us vs them mentality between those employed by the club and the supporters. A seige mentallity can help but I think that is the club (and fans against the world) not alienating your support.

The fans are feeling under appreciated - we've backed this club numerous times, we spend our hard earned cash on the club, invest our time. Not to the extent of the board etc but we do what we can with the finances and spare time we have. Speaking personally it isn't easy attending games. I'm married with 2 young kids, taking the time and the money out of the family to go to the football is a sacrifice for my family. Being told I'm negative or not supporting the club enough means that it gets harder to justify this.

The club need to engage better with the fans. Not ranting on message boards, not using the media to have snide digs but proper interaction. As a link between the club and the fans I'd expect the trust to be doing something here.

Some thoughts:
There has to be something that can be done?

I'm not a fan of the drum or musical instruments at games but I acknowledge that the upper left of the pontoon make the most noise, can those fans tickets be subsidised in anyway?
If people don't like the noise o the language used how about opening up part of the Osmand for a "noisy" section where fans are actively encouraged to sing/make noise? Again, could these tickets be cheaper in order to fill the stand - could these tickets be offered to those who have recently travelled away as a thank you for our excellent away support?
Can we not use the media positively? A couple of interviews or press releases with an "in this together" type of message, thanking the fans for turning out - we do back the club in numbers 7.5k against Lincoln is a phenomenal gate for this level of football and we were critisised.
Can we engage with the younger generation in anyway?

The relationship between the club and the fans is in danger of being damaged. But it is recoverable with some work. At the minute we're being taken for granted. People will start to stay away we'll fill our time with families,MOTD, Sky sports FIFA and other distractions. Then the club will really suffer.

Twitter: @DarrenLeeNewman
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 120
Chrisblor
January 9, 2015, 9:27am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 231
Great post Darren, spot on for me.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 120
headingly_mariner
January 9, 2015, 9:48am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
I don't blame the current set of players for where we are, they are making a decent fist of this season and are in with a shout of promotion, although Hurst has not been exciting anyone, he has made us tricky to beat and for years that hasn't been the case.

I think the team are suffering the frustration of years of failure and it's not fair to put that on them, they will have off days but we usually get a shift from them.

I am not saying we should accept where the club are but I think the frustration is being directed at the wrong people.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 120
Garth
January 9, 2015, 9:55am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from GrimRob

How do you work that out?

We averaged 3500 last season, 3800 the season before, and before PH came we averaged 3000.

This season we are averaging. nearly 3600! A few more bums are actually on seats than they were a year ago, and considerably more than when PH came.

Extra season ticket sales this season?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 120
friskneymariner
January 9, 2015, 10:23am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Its the number of season tickets next year that you should be concerned about.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 120
diehardmariner
January 9, 2015, 10:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from darren9
It seems pretty obvious that those in charge do believe that there is a negative attitude.

The major shareholder certainly thinks so. The manager has mentionned it on more than one occasion and apparently the players feel it too. Whether us the fans think it is an issue is pretty much a mute point as 'the club' really do.

So, what steps are being done to combat this negative attitude? ... from what I can see apart from berrating the fans they're doing nothing. Saying that there is a negative attitude is a self fufilling prophecy - you keep telling us we're negative and we will be negative. having a go at your own support creates an us vs them mentality between those employed by the club and the supporters. A seige mentallity can help but I think that is the club (and fans against the world) not alienating your support.

The fans are feeling under appreciated - we've backed this club numerous times, we spend our hard earned cash on the club, invest our time. Not to the extent of the board etc but we do what we can with the finances and spare time we have. Speaking personally it isn't easy attending games. I'm married with 2 young kids, taking the time and the money out of the family to go to the football is a sacrifice for my family. Being told I'm negative or not supporting the club enough means that it gets harder to justify this.

The club need to engage better with the fans. Not ranting on message boards, not using the media to have snide digs but proper interaction. As a link between the club and the fans I'd expect the trust to be doing something here.

Some thoughts:

I'm not a fan of the drum or musical instruments at games but I acknowledge that the upper left of the pontoon make the most noise, can those fans tickets be subsidised in anyway?
If people don't like the noise o the language used how about opening up part of the Osmand for a "noisy" section where fans are actively encouraged to sing/make noise? Again, could these tickets be cheaper in order to fill the stand - could these tickets be offered to those who have recently travelled away as a thank you for our excellent away support?
Can we not use the media positively? A couple of interviews or press releases with an "in this together" type of message, thanking the fans for turning out - we do back the club in numbers 7.5k against Lincoln is a phenomenal gate for this level of football and we were critisised.

The relationship between the club and the fans is in danger of being damaged. But it is recoverable with some work. At the minute we're being taken for granted. People will start to stay away we'll fill our time with families,MOTD, Sky sports FIFA and other distractions. Then the club will really suffer.

Spot on.

The club needs to work on ensuring the loyal hardcore (and it is bloody loyal and hardcore considering the amount of dross we've witnessed in the last 15 years) don't dwindle away.
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 120
MuddyWaters
January 9, 2015, 12:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from darren9

Some thoughts:

There's some really good stuff in here.

Problem that I see is that Mr Fenty doesn't see the fans as 'customers'. Now, I accept that for many, attending Town games is a ritual as opposed to a customer 'event' but you can only milk a cow for so long and then it dries up.

Like many of us who type this negative drivel, I've been supporting Town for long enough to have seen promotions, success, big clubs coming here in the league etc., but there are many that haven't and, like it or not, there are other things that you can spend your leisure money on. As Darren says, there comes a time when some/several/many will decide that enough is enough. Mr Fenty and the board need to realise that they really can't afford to carry on pissing people off and there has to come a point when either the product improves or people stop paying for it. Thereby, to point the finger at the fans regarding negativity is just going to make that happen sooner rather than later.
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.