Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te

This thread currently has 23,813 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Garth
January 6, 2015, 10:44am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Les Brechin
If only we were sat in the play-off positions with a game or two in hand and one of the best defensive records in the league we wouldn't have to put up with all this moaning!  

A come back and bite your rse statement when it pans out per usual at the seasons end Les
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 120
barralad
January 6, 2015, 10:45am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,263
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Nowadays, yea.   seriously, they should watch how AFC Wimbledon applied themselves and be ashamed of their home record

Yeah it was a bit like the way we applied ourselves against Huddersfield last season. Some games don't require much winding up of the players, fans, etc. etc.

We won't know how Wimbledon apply themselves in home league matches for the rest of the season but.....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 120
BIGChris
January 6, 2015, 10:53am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from barralad

I accept it isn't the sole reason but it is stretching the point of believability to think that it doesn't have some effect. Footballers are not tactical "machines" that you can just programme to carry out certain tasks. I have no idea of your working background but I know that if a customer thanked me or a superior praised my efforts it gave me a buzz....

Come on that never happened!!!
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 120
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 6, 2015, 11:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from barralad

I accept it isn't the sole reason but it is stretching the point of believability to think that it doesn't have some effect. Footballers are not tactical "machines" that you can just programme to carry out certain tasks. I have no idea of your working background but I know that if a customer thanked me or a superior praised my efforts it gave me a buzz....

Right enough Barra. I'm not saying players are robots, just that the expectations of fans away from home are a bit different. Look at the Gateshead fans at the weekend in a 0-7 defeat. At home, fans rightly expect more pro-active play and that is down to the way the team is set up and sent out to play more than anything else.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 120
barralad
January 6, 2015, 11:14am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,263
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from BIGChris

Come on that never happened!!!

I can dream....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 120
lew chaterleys lover
January 6, 2015, 11:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,650
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from Biccys
Excellent post Salford. It's been mentioned by players that Town fans specifically getting on their backs is well known throughout football. I wasn't fully aware of this but apparently it's a GTFC trait that away teams try to actively exploit. Booing and negativity doesn't help anyone.

The people I go with aren't negative people; we don't boo unless something shocking happens.

But we are fed up. Fed up with a decade or more of underachievement (putting it mildly), we are fed up with the whole matchday experience of seeing our beloved Mariners struggling to come to terms with a bunch of part time players.

Most of all we are fed up with the "Board" who have no plan or vision or enough money to do what they should have done 5 years ago - pay for the best manager and players who would give us the best shot of getting back to the league. We kept Neil Woods on for Gods sake!!

Like most (all?) things Mr.Fenty touches his posts on here haven't gone according to plan. Unlike at BP he is not surrounded by people who rely on him for their livelihood, and he has realized that funnily enough we don't think he is Gods gift to the Football Club.

Most of all I am fed up with the complete lack of ambition from all concerned. There is ONE guaranteed promotion in this league, and even at this low, non league level, we haven't set our stall out to go for it.

The playoffs should be a consolation prize (to win at all costs if we happen to be in them) but not an aspiration.  
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 120
fleabag1970
January 6, 2015, 11:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244

The people I go with aren't negative people; we don't boo unless something shocking happens.

But we are fed up. Fed up with a decade or more of underachievement (putting it mildly), we are fed up with the whole matchday experience of seeing our beloved Mariners struggling to come to terms with a bunch of part time players.

Most of all we are fed up with the "Board" who have no plan or vision or enough money to do what they should have done 5 years ago - pay for the best manager and players who would give us the best shot of getting back to the league. We kept Neil Woods on for Gods sake!!

Like most (all?) things Mr.Fenty touches his posts on here haven't gone according to plan. Unlike at BP he is not surrounded by people who rely on him for their livelihood, and he has realized that funnily enough we don't think he is Gods gift to the Football Club.

Most of all I am fed up with the complete lack of ambition from all concerned. There is ONE guaranteed promotion in this league, and even at this low, non league level, we haven't set our stall out to go for it.

The playoffs should be a consolation prize (to win at all costs if we happen to be in them) but not an aspiration.  

Ditto all that and Amen !!!!
It's all the Fans fault though ............................................................  How can you tell a Yorshireman ?????? You cant tell him anything ..........................

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 120
ginnywings
January 6, 2015, 11:58am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,085
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from barralad

I have followed this debate with interest.  As someone who suffered the season before and the season of relegation to this league I feel I am qualified to understand what is meant by a lack of passion. It is only a few weeks ago that someone made reference to Poojah's famous rant after the Bath City game on that very subject.
What I am struggling to understand is how that definition of lack of passion can in any way be levelled at our current crop of players.They might not always get it right but the likes of Shaun Pearson, Carl Magnay, Scott Brown, LJL, and Toto always put in a shift. Some of the away performances, whilst not exactly putting the opposition to the sword, have seen passion displayed in abundance- thinking of Kiddy away and that fantastic day at Torquay. In fact the only case I've read about that for me holds water is Nathan Arnold but even then I have reservations-not every GTFC player needs to have the "ability" to put a player in Row C of the nearest stand.....  
IMO it is an "inconvenient truth" that away performances are better in general than those at home. There is of course a very strong argument for saying that tactically we are better suited to away matches where the home team have to come at you more. This aside only someone suffering from a terminal case of blinkers could dismiss the effect that the virtually unqualified wholehearted backing for the teams efforts which comes from Town's support has on performance. Only once this season have I left an away ground a bit deflated by the lack of performance and that was at Dartford. You only have to look at the reactions of the players-notably Pearson LJL and Magnay to know what it means to them.
It is unrealistic to expect that same level of vocal support at home where the fans are more spread out in a ground much larger than many we visit but there are some aspects which appear at home which simply don't away. It is almost as though at home we are waiting for the opposition to score first because when they do regardless of what has gone on before the atmosphere changes instantly.
I accept that it is chicken and egg and can of course understand the argument that success on the field makes for sweetness and light on the terraces but, at some point I genuinely believe that us the fans will have to moderate our behaviour.
An accusation of lack of passion sounds good and knowledgeable but in this case simply doesn't add up against the current squad. Is it an accusation that could be aimed at the home fan base? I really, genuinely don't know but reading the Fishy on a daily basis there is sometimes more passion displayed on here in one thread than I hear at B.P. on a Saturday...

Good post with many sensible points but but your last paragraph alludes to the chicken and egg thing. We are good away from home, so the fans are happy and positive. The alternative view is that we are good away BECAUSE the fans are positive.

You also talk of the fans moderating their behaviour, but where does that leave fans such as myself and my brother/mates with whom i attend home games? We will get animated when we are doing well and creating chances but generally sit in silence when we are playing as we did against Macclesfield. Yeah, we'll have a chunter but we don't shout abuse towards the players. The worst we will do is leave the ground early and have a right old moan on the way home. I will come on here and voice my concerns, which is what this site is for. If any players or club officials are offended by internet content, then i suggest they stay away.

I appreciate there are some very vocal fans and among that number are some who hurl abuse at every turn. They are probably hen pecked at home and need an outlet but those dissenting voices would be drowned out if we saw i bit more from the pitch. Those abuse hurlers are at every club in the country and despite what some on here think, we are not exceptional in that regard IMO.

I have no problem with my team losing games, it's football and it happens. It would become very boring if we won 3-0 every week. There is however a difference between defeat and surrender.

If the players are genuinely suffering because of the negativity, then i don't know what the answer is but it's becoming quite apparent that the weight of expectation is too much for some of our squad. That is probably why they are conference players in the end, because they just don't have the mental capacity for success and are happy to play for clubs with lower crowds and expectations.

It's a right old pickle for sure.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 120
grimsby pete
January 6, 2015, 12:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
The problems can be solved if the players show 100% effort,

Then the crowd will be 100% behind them,

If you lose the ball the crowd will get on your back if you make no effort to get it back,

One player jogging back after he thought he was fouled will get the crowd calling you,

Make the effort to get back and they will applaud you whether you win the ball back or not,

Its the showing that you tried that counts.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 120
TownSNAFU5
January 6, 2015, 12:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,826
Gold Stars: 42
I regard myself as a long-term moderate fan with reasonable views.

The product (results and entertainment) served up at BP is not currently fit for purpose.  Fans have every right to voice their criticism.  

When Lincoln can come here and outplay us (and other teams) it is real kick in the teeth.

Blaming the fans (all or in part) is like a bad workmen blaming his tools.  

The players and manager need to react in the same way as people do at work when getting a b ollocking.  Look at yourself, acknowledge the areas for improvement and play better individually and as a team. Show more spirit and desire.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Negative fans attitude and its influence on the te

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.