This thread currently has 5,587 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
pleasegoup
November 20, 2011, 10:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Quoted from scrumble
AB Mk1 and Mk2 gave us some of the best years in GTFC history. Mk3 was a completely different story, and was as much of disaster as Woods, and only kept us up by way of Lutons massive points deduction

mike newell only kept us up thanks to point deductions.

AB would have had us safely in midtable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
pleasegoup
November 20, 2011, 10:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0

Doesn't match the facts though does it? After the side qualified for the Wembly final everything came apart. They got whopped there and they hardly got another point that season in the league, finishing on a real downer. Things were no better at the start of the next season and Town were a long way from being an established mid-table side. Add on to that the Butler saga and it was all pretty grim. The only reasons that AB3 might look good were MW1 and NW1. In fact he was out of his depth with the game after so long out and he must have found the attitudes of players a hell of a change from what he was used to. It was merciful to relieve him of the job and it would be cruel to get him back.

buckley was sacked on the 15th of flipping september. at which point, we had 2 points in the league and had beaten tranmere (a league 1 i think side) in the league cup.

yes there had been a 13 game winless run, but woods got close to double that amount of time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
mariner91
November 20, 2011, 11:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,909
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from pleasegoup

buckley was sacked on the 15th of flipping september. at which point, we had 2 points in the league and had beaten tranmere (a league 1 i think side) in the league cup.

yes there had been a 13 game winless run, but woods got close to double that amount of time.

A league 1 side who were rock bottom of their league at the time and soon sacked their manager. The side that he had assembled for that season would have struggled to stay up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
mariner91
November 20, 2011, 11:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,909
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from TownLad87
If I won the euro millions I'd appoint Aidy Boothroyd as manager and I'd bring back Paul wilkinson as head of youth setup.

Out the club would go Scott and hurst, steve wraith and dave smith and elsom and chapman.
Aswell as church Pearson disley and Duffy

You'd get rid of Disley?! One of our very few decent players?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
tashee69
November 21, 2011, 12:05am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +972
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from thebigeasy

Absolutely spot on!

And the one managerial sacking JF regrets making to this day!

I'd have him back in a heartbeat with someone like Groves alongside ready to take over in a couple of seasons.

One win in his last 17 games and losing 13, I think getting rid was the correct decision despite the fact I liked Buckley as a manager, he was living on his previous two spells with us.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
RonMariner
November 21, 2011, 3:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,940
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from moosey_club
FFS!

I do not wish ill on anyone but do the decent thing and kick the bucket A.B so we can stop having these ridiculous posts every few months!

You should not post stuff like this, even in jest. Especialy given what he has done for our club. He deserves more respect.

Very poor taste.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 21, 2011, 6:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from pleasegoup

What Woods got isn't relevant though is it? The sacking came because of the 13 game run, plus an absolutely terrible pre-season, signings that no-one rated and then a bad start to the season. OK we can argue about what came after AB but the truth was that on that record he had to go.

Still, that's all in the past and there's no going back especially to someone who has been away from the game again for years now.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
pseudonym
November 21, 2011, 7:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1

What Woods got isn't relevant though is it? The sacking came because of the 13 game run, plus an absolutely terrible pre-season, signings that no-one rated and then a bad start to the season. OK we can argue about what came after AB but the truth was that on that record he had to go.

Still, that's all in the past and there's no going back especially to someone who has been away from the game again for years now.
If my memory serves me well, in his second stint, he was replaced by Lennie Lawrence in August after an away game at Portsmouth also.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Alan Buckley

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.