Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › This is a crisis.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 202 Guests

This is a crisis.

This thread currently has 3,788 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Yoda
October 18, 2011, 9:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
We are in a delegation dogfight this season. We cannot keep a clean sheet we do not score enough h and s look bereft of ideas.

Where do we go from here.???

I am lost for words.
Logged Offline
Private Message
samg
October 18, 2011, 9:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +373
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Yoda
We are in a delegation dogfight this season. We cannot keep a clean sheet we do not score enough h and s look bereft of ideas.

I am lost for words.

to bed!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 34
psgmariner
October 18, 2011, 9:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Without loan players I reckon  we will be relegated.

Private Message
Reply: 2 - 34
Career Underdogs
October 18, 2011, 9:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -34
Approval: +1
Quoted from Yoda
We are in a delegation dogfight

You certainly are. Let me find you one. relegation instead of delegation.

But I know what you meant to say and you are spot on.

This is what happens when your clueless former chairman fails to get the manager that we need and instead goes down his list until he finally appoints the FIFTH CHOICE management choice of S&H
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 34
80sglory
October 18, 2011, 10:01pm
Guest User
How can we be destined for a relegation dogfight when we're 2nd highest scorers in the league at home ?
Get a grip.
Reply: 4 - 34
sonofmadeleymariner
October 18, 2011, 10:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Get over it we will not be relegated, we're good enough at home to stop that happening, we will not be promoted lost to many this season for that already. If serious investment in players in january happens and i mean on the level of Crawley Town as i feel we need a new left back assuming Green never going to be fit, another central midfielder, two new wingers especially the left as Eagle though has ability isn't going to set the world alight and Makoffo is well all effort and no result 98% of the time and i don't rate him in the slightest he's a poor mans akpo. Coulson should be upfront and not on the wing.

Kempson needs replacing given him a chance believing if he was paired up with someone decent but lost patients with him nearly 1 half seasons later. We need one more striker to replace Hearn when he gets injured as a Duffy Elding combo isn't going to score us goals for fun is it

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 34
bradzmilne
October 18, 2011, 10:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,428
Gold Stars: 30
Mountain out of a molehill Yoda, were in a bad run of away form at home we look decent. We might not be the best team in the league but we certainly arnt the one of the worst 4 ethier. I predict a mid table finish not relegation!

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 34
ginnywings
October 18, 2011, 10:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Career Underdogs

This is what happens when your clueless former chairman fails to get the manager that we need and instead goes down his list until he finally appoints the FIFTH CHOICE management choice of S&H

Cooper is doing great at Darlo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 34
carrot top
October 18, 2011, 10:51pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 2
I spoke to an old mate of mine the other day who had always gone to town matches for years. He said he doesn't go anymore because he says its too painful to watch. These are desperate times for our club. I know you are supposed to support through thick and thin but it really is getting a bit much now. False optimism all the time. Bloody hell!!

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 34
Mariner16
October 18, 2011, 11:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from Career Underdogs

Ever thought the other choice managers stayed at their clubs. We were proactive in getting a new man/men.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 34
barralad
October 18, 2011, 11:06pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from carrot top
I spoke to an old mate of mine the other day who had always gone to town matches for years. He said he doesn't go anymore because he says its too painful to watch. These are desperate times for our club. I know you are supposed to support through thick and thin but it really is getting a bit much now. False optimism all the time. Bloody hell!!

It's probably our own faults. We win one well and think we are on the up. We lose one and the painful recognition that we aren't bites us hard. Perhaps we should try to see the bigger picture and see these results as part of a much greater plan

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
sands
October 18, 2011, 11:15pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -7
Approval: +0
Quoted from ginnywings

Cooper is doing great at Darlo.

considering there playing budget is nearly half of towns he aint doing to bad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
big bad bob
October 18, 2011, 11:43pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -5
I dont think we will be relegated, but its getting a bit close for comfort now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
Tommy
October 18, 2011, 11:43pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
It's not a crisis and we're not in a relegation fight. We're just going nowhere this season and will probably lose as many games as we win. So get used to this up-down form.

We have to allow this season to be a season of transition into what will be a squad expected to reach the play-offs next season, and then challenge for title the year after that. Providing we don't sack the managers. That will put us back to square one.

As I've explained on here before, it should generally be expected that in a first season of a managers rebuilt squad, there will be some signings that don't quite work out as planned (even the top managers suffer this) and some players are kept on just because they are under contract but will inevitably be released when their deals end.

Instant success doesn't happen unless what the manager inherits is already capable of achieving at least some success.

I'd expect next season Ridley, Kempson, Arthur, Eagle, Duffy and Garner all won't be here. And they'll be replaced by more athletic players and will be on less money as I suspect the first 3 of those players are all on big money.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
AshMariner
October 18, 2011, 11:49pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Just got to keep battling and the results will come through eventually!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
headingly_mariner
October 19, 2011, 1:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Tommy
It's not a crisis and we're not in a relegation fight. We're just going nowhere this season and will probably lose as many games as we win. So get used to this up-down form.

We have to allow this season to be a season of transition into what will be a squad expected to reach the play-offs next season, and then challenge for title the year after that. Providing we don't sack the managers. That will put us back to square one.

As I've explained on here before, it should generally be expected that in a first season of a managers rebuilt squad, there will be some signings that don't quite work out as planned (even the top managers suffer this) and some players are kept on just because they are under contract but will inevitably be released when their deals end.

Instant success doesn't happen unless what the manager inherits is already capable of achieving at least some success.

I'd expect next season Ridley, Kempson, Arthur, Eagle, Duffy and Garner all won't be here. And they'll be replaced by more athletic players and will be on less money as I suspect the first 3 of those players are all on big money.

I think an interesting fact that a lot of people are missing is that S & H were taking over at a time when the club was comfortably top half of the table and with a chance of the play-offs, no other managers have inherited a close to competitive squad, they did not have to change much but tehy went for wholesale changes and have made us worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
80sglory
October 19, 2011, 1:44am
Guest User
Quoted from Tommy

Have Eagle, Duffy and Garner done something wrong ?

Pearson's hardly Steve Ovett so if we do need athletic players we might as well bring younger players like I'Anson in.
If we do plan to let people go, I see no point in playing them this season if we're building for next.

But tbh I do still think the playoffs are possible (though I may change my mind on Friday !)
After Luton it's Bath, Ashington, Newport, Kettering and Stockport.
It wouldn't suprise me if we won all those 5.
Reply: 16 - 34
NorthLeedsMariner
October 19, 2011, 6:41am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +11
When were back in the league, we will laugh at these season's. Look back with fondness and some will even say they preferred the games in non-league!

<*))))))><
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
GrimRob
October 19, 2011, 6:52am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Total over reaction. Win a game and you get talk of promotion, lose a game and you get talk of relegation. The reality is this was always going to be a season of consolidation. So was last season until Woods was sacked and we had to start again.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 34
barralad
October 19, 2011, 7:23am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from GrimRob
Total over reaction. Win a game and you get talk of promotion, lose a game and you get talk of relegation. The reality is this was always going to be a season of consolidation. So was last season until Woods was sacked and we had to start again.

Indeed!!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
RoboCod
October 19, 2011, 7:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Tommy

I honestly see that as the only way forward now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
Paris Mariner
October 19, 2011, 8:00am
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from Yoda

I am lost for words.

I think we were in a crisis when we went 27 games in all competitions without a few a couple of seasons ago. Saying this is a crisis is like when aMan Utd fan says they're in one and Fergie should be sacked after they draw two on the trot. We need patience because we are picking up results and putting in good performances at home in general. It will come. The sooner we sort out defending from set-pieces though, the better!

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 34
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 19, 2011, 9:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 179
call me forever the optomist, but, when i looked last night, all its gonna take is a run of a few games and we can be up into the top half of the table.
agreed about kempson. he is quite possibly one of the worst defenders i have seen wear a town shirt. and ive seen a few! we need a solid rock at the back and someone who is a dominant presence at that! but, all the blame cannot go on one player/one manager/one chairman.

weve been going through the doldrums for a long time, and i think this is part of the ripple effect (knock on) from losing at cardiff. we have just not been at the races for the past few years. and, if we are being honest, we have got our just deserts. every new manger that has decided to put their metatarsals through the blundell park revolving door, has been greeted with optimism, thinking that they will lead us back to greatness, or at least upto league 1. newell was going to be our saviour.....he was'nt. woods was taking us out of the quagmire (giggetty) and into the promised land...it did'nt happen. s & h...well, who knows.

we are fundamentaly lacking a lot of belief away from home but our home form, has generally been good (and we didnt deserve to lose to darlo). luton on friday will be a stern test for us. you think we have fallen? there is a team thats been in this league longer than us, and has a larger fan base and expectation than us. they possibly do have a larger budget, and would probably be a more attractive proposition than grimsby, but, they are in the same league as us and are trying to do what we are too.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
GollyGTFC
October 19, 2011, 9:14am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I think an interesting fact that a lot of people are missing is that S & H were taking over at a time when the club was comfortably top half of the table and with a chance of the play-offs, no other managers have inherited a close to competitive squad, they did not have to change much but tehy went for wholesale changes and have made us worse.

Chance of the play-offs my bottom!

When they took over we had 52 points from 36 games. Fleetwood finished 5th on 78 points. You seriously telling me they could have won 9 out of 10 games with a squad which managed 13 wins from the previous 36 games?

You know it took Neil Woods 39 league games to reach 9 wins?

You know we only won 24 home league games in the last 4 seasons. That works out at 6 a season. We already have 5 this season against 7 for the whole of last season- is that not progress?

Away form has been disappointing, but it will come together given time and a a few tweaks to the squad. Long Tuesday night trips to Ebbsfleet, Kidderminster and Braintree were never going to be easy and haven't helped.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 34
headingly_mariner
October 19, 2011, 9:27am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,391
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Chance of the play-offs my bottom!

When they took over we had 52 points from 36 games. Fleetwood finished 5th on 78 points. You seriously telling me they could have won 9 out of 10 games with a squad which managed 13 wins from the previous 36 games?

You know it took Neil Woods 39 league games to reach 9 wins?

You know we only won 24 home league games in the last 4 seasons. That works out at 6 a season. We already have 5 this season against 7 for the whole of last season- is that not progress?

Away form has been disappointing, but it will come together given time and a a few tweaks to the squad. Long Tuesday night trips to Ebbsfleet, Kidderminster and Braintree were never going to be easy and haven't helped.

It doesn't matter where you pick points up we still had more under woods, we were also not beaten at home from September to when Woods got the sack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
Super Clive
October 19, 2011, 9:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Oh no I'm having a crisis, I've lost my nail varnish !

Win one game its we can qualify for champs league , Lose one and its a crisis...
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
southernmariner
October 19, 2011, 9:33am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +11
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I totally agree,its not so much that we are losing matches its the lack of football we are producing at the moment. At least recent Newell , Woods sides tried to at least play something that you could see what they were trying to do, but now its just like watching any sunday league side, up in the air with poor sides looking good against us. Maybe im just sore after last night but by hell it certainly makes you question your sanity !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
Pontoon Steve
October 19, 2011, 9:59am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +6
Quoted from AshMariner
Just got to keep battling and the results will come through eventually!

Matty Dawson put up more of a battle, in his three and a half years fight against cancer, than what these clowns do, on the pitch for 90 minutes.

[URL=http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/steve427/media/Planes/Football/2012_01_21_8342-2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p594/steve427/Planes/Football/2012_01_21_8342-2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
Claudius Tiberius Smith
October 19, 2011, 10:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3
Quoted from bradzmilne
Mountain out of a molehill Yoda, were in a bad run of away form at home we look decent. We might not be the best team in the league but we certainly arnt the one of the worst 4 ethier. I predict a mid table finish not relegation!

Yes, exactly!
I.M.O. it's all about money & how to use it wisely. Fenty chucked loads of dosh at Woods who wasted
it, Crawley chucked even more money at Evans who got them up as champions, & will more than likely acheive the same again this season.
The big worry is if Plymouth & Bradford come down then there will be two "sleeping giants" in the BSP who are both capable of attracting 10K plus gates, this will give them huge gate receipts and money to sign the best players. other BSP teams will find it very difficult to compete.

Proud to be a Pleb!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
Biccys
October 19, 2011, 10:53am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from southernmariner

I totally agree,its not so much that we are losing matches its the lack of football we are producing at the moment. At least recent Newell , Woods sides tried to at least play something that you could see what they were trying to do, but now its just like watching any sunday league side, up in the air with poor sides looking good against us. Maybe im just sore after last night but by hell it certainly makes you question your sanity !

Woods, yes, to a certain extent but FFS, NEWELL???? Do you not recall the many games when we never had a single shot on goal??? Never mind a shot on target. Not one single shot. That idiot shoul dnever be mentioned again IMHO.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 34
Theimperialcoroner
October 19, 2011, 11:26am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,254
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Yoda

"Is it down to the lake I fear?"

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 34
TownSNAFU5
October 19, 2011, 3:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
For "the scouser" just think Town 0 - Crewe 4.  And that was the first home game of the season.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 34
ginnywings
October 19, 2011, 10:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Biccys

Woods, yes, to a certain extent but FFS, NEWELL???? Do you not recall the many games when we never had a single shot on goal??? Never mind a shot on target. Not one single shot. That idiot shoul dnever be mentioned again IMHO.

Too right.

The two most dreadful,pointless games i have ever seen in my life came under Newell (Notts County and Barnet at home) and there were many more that were nearly as bad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 34
Abdul19
October 19, 2011, 10:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
Barnet at home was under Watkiss  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 34
FishOutOfWater
October 20, 2011, 12:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from ginnywings

Too right.

The two most dreadful,pointless games i have ever seen in my life came under Newell (Notts County and Barnet at home) and there were many more that were nearly as bad.

Torquay at home was the worst one for me....total capitulation that afternoon when there was so much to gain, although that one was under Woods

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 34
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › This is a crisis.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.