Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › This is a crisis.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 166 Guests

This is a crisis.

This thread currently has 3,785 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
October 18, 2011, 11:06pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from carrot top
I spoke to an old mate of mine the other day who had always gone to town matches for years. He said he doesn't go anymore because he says its too painful to watch. These are desperate times for our club. I know you are supposed to support through thick and thin but it really is getting a bit much now. False optimism all the time. Bloody hell!!

It's probably our own faults. We win one well and think we are on the up. We lose one and the painful recognition that we aren't bites us hard. Perhaps we should try to see the bigger picture and see these results as part of a much greater plan

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
sands
October 18, 2011, 11:15pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -7
Approval: +0
Quoted from ginnywings

Cooper is doing great at Darlo.

considering there playing budget is nearly half of towns he aint doing to bad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
big bad bob
October 18, 2011, 11:43pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -5
I dont think we will be relegated, but its getting a bit close for comfort now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
Tommy
October 18, 2011, 11:43pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
It's not a crisis and we're not in a relegation fight. We're just going nowhere this season and will probably lose as many games as we win. So get used to this up-down form.

We have to allow this season to be a season of transition into what will be a squad expected to reach the play-offs next season, and then challenge for title the year after that. Providing we don't sack the managers. That will put us back to square one.

As I've explained on here before, it should generally be expected that in a first season of a managers rebuilt squad, there will be some signings that don't quite work out as planned (even the top managers suffer this) and some players are kept on just because they are under contract but will inevitably be released when their deals end.

Instant success doesn't happen unless what the manager inherits is already capable of achieving at least some success.

I'd expect next season Ridley, Kempson, Arthur, Eagle, Duffy and Garner all won't be here. And they'll be replaced by more athletic players and will be on less money as I suspect the first 3 of those players are all on big money.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
AshMariner
October 18, 2011, 11:49pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Just got to keep battling and the results will come through eventually!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
headingly_mariner
October 19, 2011, 1:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,392
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Tommy
It's not a crisis and we're not in a relegation fight. We're just going nowhere this season and will probably lose as many games as we win. So get used to this up-down form.

We have to allow this season to be a season of transition into what will be a squad expected to reach the play-offs next season, and then challenge for title the year after that. Providing we don't sack the managers. That will put us back to square one.

As I've explained on here before, it should generally be expected that in a first season of a managers rebuilt squad, there will be some signings that don't quite work out as planned (even the top managers suffer this) and some players are kept on just because they are under contract but will inevitably be released when their deals end.

Instant success doesn't happen unless what the manager inherits is already capable of achieving at least some success.

I'd expect next season Ridley, Kempson, Arthur, Eagle, Duffy and Garner all won't be here. And they'll be replaced by more athletic players and will be on less money as I suspect the first 3 of those players are all on big money.

I think an interesting fact that a lot of people are missing is that S & H were taking over at a time when the club was comfortably top half of the table and with a chance of the play-offs, no other managers have inherited a close to competitive squad, they did not have to change much but tehy went for wholesale changes and have made us worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
80sglory
October 19, 2011, 1:44am
Guest User
Quoted from Tommy

Have Eagle, Duffy and Garner done something wrong ?

Pearson's hardly Steve Ovett so if we do need athletic players we might as well bring younger players like I'Anson in.
If we do plan to let people go, I see no point in playing them this season if we're building for next.

But tbh I do still think the playoffs are possible (though I may change my mind on Friday !)
After Luton it's Bath, Ashington, Newport, Kettering and Stockport.
It wouldn't suprise me if we won all those 5.
Reply: 16 - 34
NorthLeedsMariner
October 19, 2011, 6:41am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +11
When were back in the league, we will laugh at these season's. Look back with fondness and some will even say they preferred the games in non-league!

<*))))))><
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
GrimRob
October 19, 2011, 6:52am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Total over reaction. Win a game and you get talk of promotion, lose a game and you get talk of relegation. The reality is this was always going to be a season of consolidation. So was last season until Woods was sacked and we had to start again.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 34
barralad
October 19, 2011, 7:23am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,297
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from GrimRob
Total over reaction. Win a game and you get talk of promotion, lose a game and you get talk of relegation. The reality is this was always going to be a season of consolidation. So was last season until Woods was sacked and we had to start again.

Indeed!!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › This is a crisis.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.