Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Going Backwards?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 151 Guests

Going Backwards?

This thread currently has 4,578 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
September 25, 2011, 3:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from AndyGTFC
There are signs of a good team, that is all I can say. Yeah, there are definitely weaknesses too but we haven't been outplayed often. I actually don't think I've ever seen a team that has lost so many games without really playing that badly.

Totally agree.

Can't believe people are saying we look worse than last year ?!  
Have we forgetten how utterly clueless we looked ?

The only reason we were higher up the league table last season was having a lot more luck and ALAN CONNELL'S WONDER GOALS.

I know it's disappointing where we are now but all we need is one mega-run(which with Town's support is always possible) so don't give up so easily just yet please ?
Reply: 20 - 50
TAGG
September 25, 2011, 3:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Kris Mustampa
I fully appreciate that H&S, for some at least, are still in their honeymoon period, but the side look poor compared to last seasons in my opinion (i have missed one game home and away so far).

We were barely out the top 8 last season but remained on the cusp of the playoffs without really making a charge. After 10 games this season we have hardly been out of the bottom 8 and thta doesnt look like changing for the forseeable.

When the managers took over they immediately slagged off the team for not having any shape, the players not being good enough or fit enough? Are we any better off in any of those areas?

Perhaps we are marginally fitter but our shape is confusing at best. the players appear lost with the positional tinkering not only from game to game but within games too.

H&S may think they are tactical genius's but they simply havent built a squad capable of making the regular adjustments. When we play 4-3-3 we havent really got the players to play the 3 'front positions' whilst at 4-4-2 the wingers arent really wingers.

They may shout on the touchline which pleases some but for me this covers up a lack of thought and real knowhow.

In my opinion Woods should never have been sacked. We werent a million miles off and Woods knew what area's he had got wrong. We were still very close to challenging.

For me we have gone backwards, we look toothless, conceed everytime we have to defend a set piece, give the ball more cheaply than a Sunday league team and have managers who talk a good game but change like the wind which appears to confuse the players as to what their jobs are.

i am NOT advocating sacking the managers, just feel it will take longer to get back with these managers (plus a dwindling budget) than it would have done with Woods.

See you all at Kidderminster?

Agree 100% Best post Ive seen on here for ages
Nice 1 Mr Mustampa

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 50
mariner91
September 25, 2011, 4:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GrimRob
Sacking Woods set us back a year. Last year was about par for a first season in this division. This summer Woods would have strengthened the side and we could have had a real go for the summit. Unfortunately we got rid of a lot of the squad and had to start again with another set of players. Sadly now Fenty's money has gone so these guys will probably never be able to show what they could have achieved in a second year with a decent playing budget.

We wouldn't have had a go for the summit. Connell was the only thing stopping that team being worse than our current one and he would have gone in the summer regardless of who the manager was. The main problem with the current team is the lack of decent widemen and all the widemen were part of the team last season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 50
rancido
September 25, 2011, 5:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,653
Gold Stars: 101
Quoted from lee65
I'm not sure we're going backwards, but we certainly aren't going forwards.  We have replaced average players with similar, eg. is Pearson any better than Garner or Watt?  Is McKeown any better than Arthur?  And I know you won't like this, but are Disley, Church, Artus really any better than Leary, Hudson, et al?

You must be joking ! Pearson is certainly better than Watt. The mid-field trio are certainly better than Leary , Hudson and Cummins. They actually play like mid-fielders which is more than can be said for what we had last season.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 50
headingly_mariner
September 25, 2011, 6:00pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 124
I agree with the original post we are way behind were we were last year, i think we only needed a few decent additions to make us really competitive for promotion and we have been set back at least a year by sacking Woods.
The new managers have been far from impressive, they came in slagging the squad off, drunk our best player off and have assembled a poor squad that is not capable of playing their primitive brand of kick and chase football.
Im not buying this connell papered over the cracks bullshit, he got the ball to his feet in and around the box, this team are not capable of offering that to a striker last seasons team could do this.

we were not quite there last season but we were a damn site closer than we are now, We went from September to when Woodsy got the sack without being beaten at home, we never left the top half of the league and now we dont look like troubling it.

This season the squad is massively unbalanced and if that is 900k worth of footballers Bert and Ernie want shooting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 50
Mariners_15
September 25, 2011, 6:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Kris Mustampa
I fully appreciate that H&S, for some at least, are still in their honeymoon period, but the side look poor compared to last seasons in my opinion (i have missed one game home and away so far).

We were barely out the top 8 last season but remained on the cusp of the playoffs without really making a charge. After 10 games this season we have hardly been out of the bottom 8 and thta doesnt look like changing for the forseeable.

When the managers took over they immediately slagged off the team for not having any shape, the players not being good enough or fit enough? Are we any better off in any of those areas?

Perhaps we are marginally fitter but our shape is confusing at best. the players appear lost with the positional tinkering not only from game to game but within games too.

H&S may think they are tactical genius's but they simply havent built a squad capable of making the regular adjustments. When we play 4-3-3 we havent really got the players to play the 3 'front positions' whilst at 4-4-2 the wingers arent really wingers.

They may shout on the touchline which pleases some but for me this covers up a lack of thought and real knowhow.

In my opinion Woods should never have been sacked. We werent a million miles off and Woods knew what area's he had got wrong. We were still very close to challenging.

For me we have gone backwards, we look toothless, conceed everytime we have to defend a set piece, give the ball more cheaply than a Sunday league team and have managers who talk a good game but change like the wind which appears to confuse the players as to what their jobs are.

i am NOT advocating sacking the managers, just feel it will take longer to get back with these managers (plus a dwindling budget) than it would have done with Woods.

See you all at Kidderminster?

Sadly agree with every word mate, couldn't have put it better myself! My thoughts exactly!

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 50
bradzmilne
September 25, 2011, 6:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 30
Personally I think we have more high quality players this year but just because we have a better standard of player doesnt make a better team. Trouble is at the minute we make to may basic mistakes like others have said we always seem to give the opposition a goal also regardless of what Hearn is or isnt capable of doing we dont have a goalscorer like AC last year, i hope i eat my words and hearn starts banging them in left,right and centre but i just dont see it. We must keep HandS though through thick and thin this year IMO (unless were in imediate relegation danger) becasue they clearly are good managers their record proves it, the spine of the team is there and if this team doesnt cut it this year, it wouldnt take that many additions to make it to make it into a quality side.

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 50
Tommy
September 25, 2011, 7:19pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from lee65
is Pearson any better than Garner or Watt?

Yes. IMO he looks very settled in the team now and looks better than Kempson who still loses players and whenever we concede blames others.

Quoted from lee65
Is McKeown any better than Arthur?

Yes. Without doubt. In every aspect of goalkeeping.

Quoted from lee65
are Disley, Church, Artus really any better than Leary, Hudson, et al?

Yes.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 50
GrimRob
September 25, 2011, 8:07pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,451
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from mariner91

We wouldn't have had a go for the summit. Connell was the only thing stopping that team being worse than our current one and he would have gone in the summer regardless of who the manager was. The main problem with the current team is the lack of decent widemen and all the widemen were part of the team last season.

Connell might not have left had Woods and a few of his mates stayed. We didn't have to sell him either. The actual money received from him paid our debts for a grand total of one month. I was never convinced it was good business I must admit.

The keeper is better this year than last. Other than that was there any great benefit of the enormous game of musical chairs we played over the summer? Probably not other than the signing on fees in in players pockets.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 50
dapperz fun pub
September 25, 2011, 8:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from GrimRob

Connell might not have left had Woods and a few of his mates stayed. We didn't have to sell him either. The actual money received from him paid our debts for a grand total of one month. I was never convinced it was good business I must admit.

The keeper is better this year than last. Other than that was there any great benefit of the enormous game of musical chairs we played over the summer? Probably not other than the signing on fees in in players pockets.

connell asked to leave before xmas several players knew this
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Going Backwards?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.