Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Going Backwards?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 129 Guests

Going Backwards?

This thread currently has 4,577 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
September 25, 2011, 11:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from GrimRob
Sacking Woods set us back a year. Last year was about par for a first season in this division. This summer Woods would have strengthened the side and we could have had a real go for the summit. Unfortunately we got rid of a lot of the squad and had to start again with another set of players. Sadly now Fenty's money has gone so these guys will probably never be able to show what they could have achieved in a second year with a decent playing budget.

connell wanted out bore wanted out atkinson wanted out peacock wanted out all under woods leadership
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
Offley mariner
September 25, 2011, 11:51am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +9
I think it takes a while to build a team capable of winning this league Dean Saunders had a poor first season at Wrexham and they have learned the lessons and have performed well last season and this so far so I really think we ought to show patience at this stage and hopefully a new chairman will be found who can run the club properly and save us from the unthinkable administration until we have got things right on the pitch which I believe we will if H&S get given the time to do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
voice of reason
September 25, 2011, 12:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

connell wanted out bore wanted out atkinson wanted out peacock wanted out all under woods leadership

The only one I think we miss is Connell and he clearly still wanted out under H&S so not something that could just be leveled at Woods...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
aldi_01
September 25, 2011, 12:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Everything the chuckle brothers have said they wanted to change and needed to improve they haven't...I don't see any improvements personally and info believe we have gone backwards but I also believe getting rid of shouty and shorty wouldn't be the right answer either...I didnt want them and in all honesty I don't know manyfans that did but we have to support them no matter what...were they another cheap option? Who knows and only time will tell if they work for us...I don't think they will, whilst we never really looke promotion candidates but we were still sat in 8th or 9th just outside the playoffs, this season we look even miles off of that...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
lee65
September 25, 2011, 1:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
I'm not sure we're going backwards, but we certainly aren't going forwards.  We have replaced average players with similar, eg. is Pearson any better than Garner or Watt?  Is McKeown any better than Arthur?  And I know you won't like this, but are Disley, Church, Artus really any better than Leary, Hudson, et al?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
Garth
September 25, 2011, 1:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from lee65
I'm not sure we're going backwards, but we certainly aren't going forwards.  We have replaced average players with similar, eg. is Pearson any better than Garner or Watt?  Is McKeown any better than Arthur?  And I know you won't like this, but are Disley, Church, Artus really any better than Leary, Hudson, et al?

For me the jurys still out regarding Pearson and Artus, I think Garners a much better defender than Pearson who turns like a battleship and I can`t see what Artus brings to the table
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 50
Abdul19
September 25, 2011, 2:01pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 219
To be fair, they haven't replaced Garner. He's injured.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
lee65
September 25, 2011, 2:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Abdul19
To be fair, they haven't replaced Garner. He's injured.

Fair point, I think with current staff, Kempson and Garner are the best pair, if pace is needed then perhaps we should give I'anson a number of games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
Maringer
September 25, 2011, 2:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,674
Gold Stars: 189
Unfortunately, I eventually had to come to the conclusion last season that Woods just didn't have a clue about what was necessary to compete in this division. Despite this, I don't think it was the right decision to sack him during the season. Much better to wait until the end of the year, then look for a new manager during the close season.

I think the team we have this season is generally better than that from last season, though there isn't a huge amount in it. Obviously, lacking a player like Connell who single-handedly won us games last season makes us seem worse than we actually are.

I'm hopeful that we can knuckle-down and drag our way up the table during the rest of this season but it won't necessarily be pretty. Most of the new signings are capable enough (though none are exactly world-beaters), but I think that Elding and Artus are both probably not the sort of players we required. Artus reminds me of Sweeney - lots of skill, but too keen to show it and therefore never moves the ball on fast enough. Often caught in possession as well. Elding has had a few very good goalscoring seasons during his career. However, the last was a few years ago and he's not exactly been tearing up any trees in recent seasons. The new Adam Proudlock, perhaps!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 50
Abdul19
September 25, 2011, 3:01pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,607
Gold Stars: 219
Quoted from Maringer
Artus reminds me of Sweeney - lots of skill, but too keen to show it and therefore never moves the ball on fast enough.

No doubt the opposition will be equally quick to work out that he can't use his right foot! At least Artus puts some effort in though.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Going Backwards?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.