Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Going Backwards?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 142 Guests

Going Backwards?

This thread currently has 4,580 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Kris Mustampa
September 25, 2011, 9:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +12 / -12
I fully appreciate that H&S, for some at least, are still in their honeymoon period, but the side look poor compared to last seasons in my opinion (i have missed one game home and away so far).

We were barely out the top 8 last season but remained on the cusp of the playoffs without really making a charge. After 10 games this season we have hardly been out of the bottom 8 and thta doesnt look like changing for the forseeable.

When the managers took over they immediately slagged off the team for not having any shape, the players not being good enough or fit enough? Are we any better off in any of those areas?

Perhaps we are marginally fitter but our shape is confusing at best. the players appear lost with the positional tinkering not only from game to game but within games too.

H&S may think they are tactical genius's but they simply havent built a squad capable of making the regular adjustments. When we play 4-3-3 we havent really got the players to play the 3 'front positions' whilst at 4-4-2 the wingers arent really wingers.

They may shout on the touchline which pleases some but for me this covers up a lack of thought and real knowhow.

In my opinion Woods should never have been sacked. We werent a million miles off and Woods knew what area's he had got wrong. We were still very close to challenging.

For me we have gone backwards, we look toothless, conceed everytime we have to defend a set piece, give the ball more cheaply than a Sunday league team and have managers who talk a good game but change like the wind which appears to confuse the players as to what their jobs are.

i am NOT advocating sacking the managers, just feel it will take longer to get back with these managers (plus a dwindling budget) than it would have done with Woods.

See you all at Kidderminster?

Logged Offline
Private Message
cleeimp
September 25, 2011, 9:54am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
I hate  to say but you are right every word myself i hope that thee  next chairman mas a clear out.

cleefish
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 50
dapperz fun pub
September 25, 2011, 11:00am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
in my opinion we where a million miles off promotion last season super alans goals just papered over the cracks
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 50
ROKERITE
September 25, 2011, 11:02am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Kris Mustampa
I fully appreciate that H&S, for some at least, are still in their honeymoon period, but the side look poor compared to last seasons in my opinion (i have missed one game home and away so far).

We were barely out the top 8 last season but remained on the cusp of the playoffs without really making a charge. After 10 games this season we have hardly been out of the bottom 8 and thta doesnt look like changing for the forseeable.

When the managers took over they immediately slagged off the team for not having any shape, the players not being good enough or fit enough? Are we any better off in any of those areas?

Perhaps we are marginally fitter but our shape is confusing at best. the players appear lost with the positional tinkering not only from game to game but within games too.

H&S may think they are tactical genius's but they simply havent built a squad capable of making the regular adjustments. When we play 4-3-3 we havent really got the players to play the 3 'front positions' whilst at 4-4-2 the wingers arent really wingers.

They may shout on the touchline which pleases some but for me this covers up a lack of thought and real knowhow.

In my opinion Woods should never have been sacked. We werent a million miles off and Woods knew what area's he had got wrong. We were still very close to challenging.

For me we have gone backwards, we look toothless, conceed everytime we have to defend a set piece, give the ball more cheaply than a Sunday league team and have managers who talk a good game but change like the wind which appears to confuse the players as to what their jobs are.

i am NOT advocating sacking the managers, just feel it will take longer to get back with these managers (plus a dwindling budget) than it would have done with Woods.

See you all at Kidderminster?

If Woods had been sacked a year before he was Grimsby Town wouldn't be in The BSP now. The only time I've ever written to a football chairman in my life, was in late February,2010, asking Mr Fenty to replace Woods as Manager before it was too late. I'm afraid Woods gave every sign during his fifteen months in charge that he'd never have taken the club back into The League. H&S, providing the rug isn't pulled from underneath their feet, will bring the good times back to Blundell Park. (with apologies to VOR)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 50
dapperz fun pub
September 25, 2011, 11:08am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from ROKERITE

If Woods had been sacked a year before he was Grimsby Town wouldn't be in The BSP now. The only time I've ever written to a football chairman in my life, was in late February,2010, asking Mr Fenty to replace Woods as Manager before it was too late. I'm afraid Woods gave every sign during his fifteen months in charge that he'd never have taken the club back into The League. H&S, providing the rug isn't pulled from underneath their feet, will bring the good times back to Blundell Park. (with apologies to VOR)

whats the interest in gtfc fella?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 50
Super Clive
September 25, 2011, 11:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
You are right, but give them 2 full seasons we know what they can do although that was in a lower league, we can't change another management team again and a not saying you want that.

Look at slades first season.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 50
petethemariner
September 25, 2011, 11:19am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
The question is though in these difficult times, how long can we continue to lose circa 900K per year, whilst hovering around mid- lower mid table? Unless some amicable decisions are made from our two ' saviours' in the boardroom i would suggest not very long, so i think H & S  had better get things moving quickly, time is definitely  very much of the essence at GTFC.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 50
AndyGTFC
September 25, 2011, 11:34am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
There are signs of a good team, that is all I can say. Yeah, there are definitely weaknesses too but we haven't been outplayed often. I actually don't think I've ever seen a team that has lost so many games without really playing that badly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 50
ROKERITE
September 25, 2011, 11:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

whats the interest in gtfc fella?

It started with betting, I lost a lot of money on you the season before last; it turned out Newell really was the failure of Hartlepool rather than the success of Luton. What did surprise me was that even after Stein arrived things didn't pick up. I thought Woods was a shocking choice; it wasn't so much giving him the opportunity after Newell had gone, but sticking with him when he clearly hadn't a clue.
My interest in Grimsby disappeared at the end of 2009-10 but I'm always aware when a managerial vacancy occurs, and when Hurst and Scott were linked with the club I was intrigued. I came across them first at Ilkeston Town. I was following Bradford Park Avenue's progress at the time and couldn't help but note the impact H&S were having at a club in the same division. I then noted the rapid success they had at Boston United. They were actually just "those two joint managers" to me, it's only at Grimsby that I've remembered their names.
I'm convinced, and I risk boring people about it, that these two are winners. My interest in your club has been revived and I don't want to see you lose these two when it seems you and Mr Fenty have finally got it right. I can never understand why football fans at every club are so quick to write off a manager who has proven his worth elsewhere. I spent quite a lot of time on HNA a couple of yearsago, reading the abuse Brendan Rodgers received from Reading fans, culminating in his dismissal six months into the job. He's shown at Watford he was no mug but some never gave the fellow a chance. It hasn't taken long to show how precipitate those Reading fans were. I'd be very sorry if a similar mistake happened at Blundell Park.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 50
GrimRob
September 25, 2011, 11:44am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,451
Gold Stars: 115
Sacking Woods set us back a year. Last year was about par for a first season in this division. This summer Woods would have strengthened the side and we could have had a real go for the summit. Unfortunately we got rid of a lot of the squad and had to start again with another set of players. Sadly now Fenty's money has gone so these guys will probably never be able to show what they could have achieved in a second year with a decent playing budget.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 50
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Going Backwards?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.