Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Approx quarter of the season gone . . .
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 130 Guests

Approx quarter of the season gone . . .

This thread currently has 2,975 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Paris Mariner
September 25, 2011, 9:58am
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
It's definitely not time to panic. We're only 10 points off 1st. I'm not saying we're going to win the league but that just shows how close this division is this season and that anyone can beat anyone. Town are showing signs of form (it sounded like 3-1 flattered Wrexham from the radio commentary), all our strikers are off the mark now and our confidence is growing. There's over 30 games to go, for once, let's have som relative patience.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 28
petethemariner
September 25, 2011, 10:09am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Sorry, patience is great and i agree is needed at times, but the exact same comments were made last year 'only X points off the play-offs, plenty of time' etc and it didn't happen.
We have to face the prospect that we are again unlikely to make the play-offs, think the best we can hope for is mid table obscurity  and hopefully  sort out the board room  lunacy, with the aim of going for it next year - some will disagree, but  in my opinion this season has already gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
Paris Mariner
September 25, 2011, 10:17am
Main Stander
I have to disagree that the season is already gone. That's a ludicrous statement. GTFC as a club has to give a manager more than 18 months. We've gone through 10 in 10 years - it is ridiculous. Success doesn't come instantly and we have to let somebody build a squad, a team, a playing philosophy etc if we want success on the field.

I think that there has been a massive overreaction to the board room on goings as well. MP and JF have both said the club is ok until at least the new year and MP is on the hunt for a chairman.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 28
STB
September 25, 2011, 10:18am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Quoted from petethemariner
Sorry, patience is great and i agree is needed at times, but the exact same comments were made last year 'only X points off the play-offs, plenty of time' etc and it didn't happen.
We have to face the prospect that we are again unlikely to make the play-offs, think the best we can hope for is mid table obscurity  and hopefully  sort out the board room  lunacy, with the aim of going for it next year - some will disagree, but  in my opinion this season has already gone.

I think you are probably right.
The average points for the top team is almost always 2 per game.
To get up to that standard, we would have to win 10 games in a row while the top team plods on at their average.
If anyone really thinks that will happen, they are away with the fairies.
Maybe if we got rid of this mindset of wanting to gain promotion each season and just watched the games, there would be no problem.
For me personally, the real GTFC died at Burton and I haven't really come to terms with that.  

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
ginnywings
September 25, 2011, 10:23am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from STB

To get up to that standard, we would have to win 10 games in a row while the top team plods on at their average.
Maybe if we got rid of this mindset of wanting to gain promotion each season and just watched the games, there would be no problem.
For me personally, the real GTFC died at Burton and I haven't really come to terms with that.  

Spot on and that is exactly what i am doing.I never expected us to go up this year.Hoped for it yes.

I am going to games and enjoying them for the first time in an age as there has been some good,entertaining stuff at BP and my expectations are just to see some improvement as the season progresses and some squad tinkering at the end of the season.

It has taken Wrexham a while to get to where they are and they started to click last year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
petethemariner
September 25, 2011, 10:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Paris Mariner
I have to disagree that the season is already gone. That's a ludicrous statement. GTFC as a club has to give a manager more than 18 months. We've gone through 10 in 10 years - it is ridiculous. Success doesn't come instantly and we have to let somebody build a squad, a team, a playing philosophy etc if we want success on the field.

I think that there has been a massive overreaction to the board room on goings as well. MP and JF have both said the club is ok until at least the new year and MP is on the hunt for a chairman.

Paris i fail to see what is 'Ludicrous' about it, of course there are plenty of games left etc, etc but as STB says, do we really have the team to put together an unbeaten run of say 15 games, which is exactly what we would need to do to get ourselves toward the top? a realist would say no, we have already lost 6 games from 10, have a moderate goalscoring record and an inability to keep a clean sheet, not really the record of a side about to go on such a run. True  there are some improvements to the team in certain areas, but by the same token other areas appear weaker - this to me means a side probably about on a par with last seasons side, which finished 11th, as far as i am aware you do not get in the play-offs finishing 11th!
Nothing wrong with optimism, but we GTFC have had that for years now and have constantly been  dissappointed.
Realism id a word noone particularly wants to hear, but realism is needed - i hope i am proved wrong and would be happy to be so, but i doubt it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
petethemariner
September 25, 2011, 10:37am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from petethemariner

Paris i fail to see what is 'Ludicrous' about it, of course there are plenty of games left etc, etc but as STB says, do we really have the team to put together an unbeaten run of say 15 games, which is exactly what we would need to do to get ourselves toward the top? a realist would say no, we have already lost 6 games from 10, have a moderate goalscoring record and an inability to keep a clean sheet, not really the record of a side about to go on such a run. True  there are some improvements to the team in certain areas, but by the same token other areas appear weaker - this to me means a side probably about on a par with last seasons side, which finished 11th, as far as i am aware you do not get in the play-offs finishing 11th!
Nothing wrong with optimism, but we GTFC have had that for years now and have constantly been  dissappointed.
Realism id a word noone particularly wants to hear, but realism is needed - i hope i am proved wrong and would be happy to be so, but i doubt it.

Correction - 11 games - apologies.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
Paris Mariner
September 25, 2011, 10:40am
Main Stander
It is not realistic to write off our play off chances in September. Yes, we could be higher up the table and have won a lot more games but as things stand we still have a chance and we maybe just our luck to change. Take yesterday for example, at 0-1 we had two goals disallowed for offside. On another day, they both go in an count because you get the rub of the green. People talk like we get outplayed every game. This is clearly not the case. I appreciate people's frustrations but the doom and gloom that surrounds BP is tiring. We're a Conference team who are still a good bet for the play-offs. Get over it.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 28
FishOutOfWater
September 25, 2011, 10:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from STB

I know what you mean but GTFC didn't die on that day itself.....the six months prior to that had seen us in terminal decline and that afternoon when we finally lost our league status was imho more or less the same as turning off the plug of the life support machine.

We were technically no longer a league club from well before Christmas when we were on that record breaking run of not being able to win and from game to game, "life" / our league status was being sucked out of us

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 28
dapperz fun pub
September 25, 2011, 10:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,049
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from STB

the club died when the caretaker in charge who couldnt win a game was given the job he didnt really want,however i still think we can be brought back from the dead it took oxford 4 goes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Approx quarter of the season gone . . .

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.