Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Them or us?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 85 Guests

Them or us?

This thread currently has 5,562 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
September 11, 2011, 7:48pm
Guest User
Don't be so apologetic marinette - you want your team to continue to improve more, be the best they could be or even win the league ?
How dare you !!!  
Hang your head in shame

Confidence breeds confidence and momentum helps achieve it - it's not necessarily where we are NOW, it's whether we might be as we gel, gain some momentum and like you say, keep improving.
So your points are all very valid - it's not "negativity" to say there is further room for improvement, it's reality !

I say sod those people who may wrongly assume it's a case of "putting the team down" (or even creating false dawns or over-hyping expectations) - no-one should be getting carried away or expecting success, it's simply a case of wanting the very best for our club and trying to help it to get to where it also wants to be.

If that's "over demanding" well pardon me for being such a rubbish fan that wants us to do well...  

So never feel guilty or greedy about wanting more - just because we've been starved of success it shouldn't mean we should always feel guilty about wanting to eat...
Reply: 20 - 31
marinette
September 11, 2011, 8:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
It's all a bit confusing.  In the past I've been able to see the glimmer of something positive when everyone else is condemning the whole performance, usually after a defeat.  And yet now, when we've won by a convincing margin, I'm a bit underwhelmed, not quite convinced, and it's not really done it for me.  I can't even think of a man of the match from yesterday.  My reaction is all back to front and inside out compared to everyone else's.

I'm not apologising for having high expectations or wanting the best for Town - that goes without saying.  I'm just wondering if I've missed something, and really don't like being a damp squib when everyone else is rejoicing.  Yesterday, for me, Town were dominant, but lacked any real quality.

But the other side of me just thinks I should be grateful for the three points and have done with it.

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
upthestripes
September 11, 2011, 8:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Just glad you're still with us Marinette, was beginning to think you were going off the Mariners a bit (heaven forbid!)

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
marinette
September 11, 2011, 8:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from upthestripes
Just glad you're still with us Marinette, was beginning to think you were going off the Mariners a bit (heaven forbid!)

Nah, perhaps it's just the incessant changes year upon year upon year - it takes me a while to get used to new players and we've had a lot of them this season.  I've got to stick with it anyway - bought my season ticket so it would be a waste not to.  

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
80sglory
September 11, 2011, 8:33pm
Guest User
Quoted from marinette
It's all a bit confusing.  In the past I've been able to see the glimmer of something positive when everyone else is condemning the whole performance, usually after a defeat.  And yet now, when we've won by a convincing margin, I'm a bit underwhelmed, not quite convinced, and it's not really done it for me.  I can't even think of a man of the match from yesterday.  My reaction is all back to front and inside out compared to everyone else's.

I've been there too - 4 pts from 6 after the York 0-0 where I wasn't convinced one little bit. Was a huge backlash on here against me !
Always difficult to speak out when you're not convinced after a win - I don't go along with your view but I can certainly see why you have it and I'll stick up for anyones right to have an honest opinion.
If people are blatantly sh1tstirring wanting us to fail then it's a different matter.

Reply: 24 - 31
mariner91
September 11, 2011, 11:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,759
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from marinette
I didn't think Hayes and Yeading looked a very good team.

Without wishing to be negative, I would like to see Town being more ruthless, more organised, more confident, stronger, quicker and more skilful and much more clinical in front of goal.  Perhaps I am being too demanding?  Then again, in pre-season people were saying Donny Rovers looked like a very good team and I didn't think so...I just thought they looked better than us.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy enough with yesterday, and obviously it was very good compared with some games we've played, but I'd like to see us do better and think perhaps we can.  

I should hope Donny Rovers were better than us when they're three divisions higher and have a striker who is worth more than our entire squad put together. Hardly a fair comparison.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
gtfc71
September 12, 2011, 12:03am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +8
Do you think Braintree were saying weren't Grimsby poor the night they beat us 5-0? No, they'll have been on their forum saying how well they played that night.

Yesterday looked a better performance for me, but just as I wasn't saying we were going down after 4 games, I'm not shouting from the rooftops we're going up now.

Do I think we're better than the start of the season? Yes. Do I think we're playing well enough to reach the play-offs? Not yet for me but if the improvement continues maybe... just maybe.

It's interesting how we as fans filter out the bits we don't want to consider. I nearly posted a week or so ago when, with GTFC on 4 points from 18 with 3 goals in what was then 9 hours of football, I was intrigued how 20% felt we had a 'much stronger' squad than last year. 2 games later that looks a more credible assessment.

Similarly, the fans treatment of Liam Hearn is, I would suggest, massively dependant on results. Generally, fans have been very supportive and positive about him (which I agree with). Had FGR got a late equalizer and/or H&Y held out for a stalemate I feel there could have been many posts now saying he should be dropped.

Personally, as long as the team is winning it would be silly to change. However, if his scoring output remains low and we were to endure another difficult run, his place would have to become vulnerable. Ultimately, his season will be judged on goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
codcheeky
September 12, 2011, 1:17am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,263
Gold Stars: 31
as football fans it our duty to be fickle, everyone is optamistic now, if we lose the next 2 we will be a disgrace to football..... tis the beauty of having a big belly and a small keyboard
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
80sglory
September 12, 2011, 1:37am
Guest User
Quoted from gtfc71
Personally, as long as the team is winning it would be silly to change. However, if his scoring output remains low and we were to endure another difficult run, his place would have to become vulnerable. Ultimately, his season will be judged on goals.

See what you mean but disagree to be honest...

Confident it'll just be a matter of time but if not then I wouldn't see the point in dropping what would probably be one of our best players just because he wasn't scoring - you'd weaken the team IMO.

I gave him more MOM than any other player in pre-season so it's no suprise to see him make such a good overall contribution, I've come to expect it cos he's clearly a lot more than just a goalscorer.

If people judge his season for just for his goals then they shouldn't IMO.

Put it this way - if I knew he wasn't gonna score a goal all season I'd still have to think carefully about leaving him out the team....
Reply: 28 - 31
ginnywings
September 12, 2011, 7:36am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,154
Gold Stars: 548
Not getting too carried away just yet as H&Y are one of the teams who usually make up the bottom half of the table and their away form is very dodgy,but last year we couldn't beat them at all,so that is an improvement in itself.

What heartens me is the performances.We are starting to look like a team instead of 11 players,which we have done all too much in the past.If our strikers had hit the ground running,we would definitely be in the top 5 by now.

I think we shouldn't let our expectations get too high and feel that the play offs are a formality.It's time we showed a bit of patience and let the management build a good,competetive side and if it doesn't happen this season,then so be it.

Having said that,the league looks a lot more open to me than last season and i can't see anyone running away with it ala Crawley.If we keep improving as we have,then the play offs are a reality.Consistency is the key now and if and when we finally win three on the spin,i will be a bit more optimistic of our chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Them or us?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.