Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 162 Guests

From the dugout

This thread currently has 3,390 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
September 11, 2011, 3:41am
Guest User
Talking about Scott and Hurst's pre-match article in the matchday programme...

I was again impressed - they don't give a load of flannel and cliches, they talk about about past games, what we did right and wrong, give credit, criticism and reasons - can't ask for much more !  

Wouldn't say ALL their team selections have been spot on so far but in general they've been pretty damn good.

Also liked how today they clearly wanted to give the other players like Eagle, Church and Elding match time when we went 2 up (even some bloke near me started moaning about taking Duffy off !).

Feel more and more confident they read the game to a very high standard and a lot of what they do is measured and thoughtful - this can only be a good thing IMO.

As for coaching, it's also a positive before the game (on MP) they mentioned having a whole week to work on things  - is that why we've seen an arguable improvement going forward ? (albeit against lower opposition they certainly looked to know their jobs and what to do)

The only "area for improvement" that slightly concerned me about today's performance is related to something they mentioned themsleves in the match programme when talking about the Darlington game:

"Again the same player is allowed far too much time and space in the box...."

One or two occassions I thought we backed off giving the opposition far too much room on the ball near our area (or in our half) when we could have closed them down more.

It's all well and good simply pointing to clean sheets but a better team could take advantage if we're not careful.
Personally I like to see players close down aqap and stay close - obviously you don't always commit or go flying in, but you shouldn't allow them time and space to play in either.
In other games I've seen players run across to cover an opposition man but then stand off 3 or 4 yards allowing a cross to come in.

Whilst we've been solid in previous games and defenders have played well(we haven't always defended well), I just feel we sometimes need to get that little bit tighter and harry a bit more.

Anyone notice 2nd half we closed down H&Y in their own half we won the ball back again ?
Just shows what applying pressure can do - we saw a lot of it pre-season I was wondered if the team we'd see would be 11 workaholics.
Whilst I don't suggest we knacker ourselves out running around like headless chickens for 90 minutes I think we need be wary of complacency by sitting too deep, trying to "contain" and allow other teams to play - to be fair 2nd half I thought we generally harried them a lot better.

Anyway, I'm certainly impressed with the progress being made so very well done Rob and Paul !
Dan
September 11, 2011, 4:23am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Usually, I just read your first sentence and your last sentence.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
80sglory
September 11, 2011, 5:19am
Guest User
Your choice - if you want to assume it's waffle or have got the attention span of an ant then be a loser, no skin off my nose.

There are several knowledgable posters I enjoy reading at length on here for their quality and personal insight - if someone posts a whole page I won't be put off, I'll still read it.  

Unless it's maybe someone like you whose posts I put firmly in the "can disregard ?" category which I pay limited time or attention to.

Anyway, enjoy the bullshit !  

PS Sometimes I even read books too !  
Reply: 2 - 26
grimps
September 11, 2011, 10:47am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,152
Gold Stars: 46
I was thinking Hayes looked quite decent with the ball around are box first half,I also noticed they never seemed to get any time on the ball second half.
Yesterday was my first game this season and i reckon it looked ten times better than last season ,my mate reckons we played just as well against Fleetwood too
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
tarka
September 11, 2011, 11:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +895
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from 1600
Talking about Scott and Hurst's pre-match article in the matchday programme...

I was again impressed - they don't give a load of flannel and cliches, they talk about about past games, what we did right and wrong, give credit, criticism and reasons - can't ask for much more !  

Wouldn't say ALL their team selections have been spot on so far but in general they've been pretty damn good.

Also liked how today they clearly wanted to give the other players like Eagle, Church and Elding match time when we went 2 up (even some bloke near me started moaning about taking Duffy off !).

Feel more and more confident they read the game to a very high standard and a lot of what they do is measured and thoughtful - this can only be a good thing IMO.

As for coaching, it's also a positive before the game (on MP) they mentioned having a whole week to work on things  - is that why we've seen an arguable improvement going forward ? (albeit against lower opposition they certainly looked to know their jobs and what to do)

The only "area for improvement" that slightly concerned me about today's performance is related to something they mentioned themsleves in the match programme when talking about the Darlington game:

"Again the same player is allowed far too much time and space in the box...."

One or two occassions I thought we backed off giving the opposition far too much room on the ball near our area (or in our half) when we could have closed them down more.

It's all well and good simply pointing to clean sheets but a better team could take advantage if we're not careful.
Personally I like to see players close down aqap and stay close - obviously you don't always commit or go flying in, but you shouldn't allow them time and space to play in either.
In other games I've seen players run across to cover an opposition man but then stand off 3 or 4 yards allowing a cross to come in.

Whilst we've been solid in previous games and defenders have played well(we haven't always defended well), I just feel we sometimes need to get that little bit tighter and harry a bit more.

Anyone notice 2nd half we closed down H&Y in their own half we won the ball back again ?
Just shows what applying pressure can do - we saw a lot of it pre-season I was wondered if the team we'd see would be 11 workaholics.
Whilst I don't suggest we knacker ourselves out running around like headless chickens for 90 minutes I think we need be wary of complacency by sitting too deep, trying to "contain" and allow other teams to play - to be fair 2nd half I thought we generally harried them a lot better.

Anyway, I'm certainly impressed with the progress being made so very well done Rob and Paul !

My God you've changed your tune since the end of last season!!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
wycombemariner
September 11, 2011, 11:49am
UTM
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: -56
Quoted from tarka

People can change their minds you know
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
tarka
September 11, 2011, 12:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +895
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from wycombemariner

People can change their minds you know

Very true...but it's a sad reflection on supporters that it has to be so extreme. The next poor performance we'll be back to Shouty and Shorty, hoof ball, out of their depth etc, etc!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
lew chaterleys lover
September 11, 2011, 2:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,761
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from tarka

Very true...but it's a sad reflection on supporters that it has to be so extreme. The next poor performance we'll be back to Shouty and Shorty, hoof ball, out of their depth etc, etc!

Have you ever been to any other ground in the country? Its the same whether you are having a bad time in the Champions League or in the Conference.

I am sick to the back teeth that our fans been spoken of in this way.

We the fans who love the club to bits, have been fed 10 years of utter garbage and have seen the club plummet to an all time low.

Of course we are going to angry/fickle(ish) until we see some definate signs of having turned the corner.

The club ought to be thankful the community still has an interest in the club at all after what weve been through.

Its in the clubs court now to start to put things right,and get all the fans back on side.

Yesterday was  a good start and I am sure most feel like 80's - a little more hopeful.  
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
September 11, 2011, 3:06pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,482
Gold Stars: 16
Good post! UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
80sglory
September 11, 2011, 3:44pm
Guest User
Quoted from tarka

Have I ? Please enlighten me.
Anyway I think you'll find the football has changed since last season ?

I'm saying there are some positive signs for encouragement, I'm certainly not getting carried away or saying we've cracked it - read the thread !

By the way, is it really necessary to quote the entire thread for a one line response ?  
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › From the dugout

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.