Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 112 Guests

What happens next

This thread currently has 3,274 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 2:55pm
Guest User
Connell is wheeled out on cue to praise the club and thank Fenty.
The managers and the board issue a rallying cry for "everyone to get behind the club".

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated ?  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iix18rtJmU0

Mariner88
July 15, 2011, 3:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Quoted from 1600
Connell is wheeled out on cue to praise the club and thank Fenty.
The managers and the board issue a rallying cry for "everyone to get behind the club".

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated ?  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iix18rtJmU0

Give it a rest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 32
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 3:14pm
Guest User
Give what a rest ?
Reply: 2 - 32
Mariner88
July 15, 2011, 3:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Quoted from 1600
Give what a rest ?

Spouting utter balderdash.

Disagree with it if you want but it's not the end of the world. We haven't been cheated at all, it's basically like you being headhunted at work and moving on.

i don't think he fitted the S&H system and although he was a good player last season I think we wouldn't have had to rely on him this season anyway. Time will tell.

Maybe, just maybe, there's a replacement on the way.

100-150k for a 28-year-old who's had one good season is a decent piece of business at our level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 32
ska face
July 15, 2011, 3:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,774
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from 1600
Give what a rest ?

Breathing, preferably.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 32
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 3:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mariner88
We haven't been cheated at all

Matter of opinion.

What was all this b0llocks about him being "not for sale" and trying to fight off interest ?

Let's be honest - it's most probably the club posturing like they didn't want to sell when they really did.

I now feel foolish for ever thinking things might be different or the club might have an ounce of ambition.
We can debate on every issue all we like but the truth is, we've seen it all before.

Quoted from Mariner88
i don't think he fitted the S&H system and although he was a good player last season I think we wouldn't have had to rely on him this season anyway. Time will tell.

Sure will but if things go titis up, it won't be Fenty or the Connell transfer taking the blame, it'll be the players for not pulling their weight (again !).

Quoted from Mariner88
100-150k for a 28-year-old who's had one good season is a decent piece of business at our level.

Short term thinking - exactly the reason we've ended up in this shithole of a league in the first place.
Reply: 5 - 32
biggles9999
July 15, 2011, 3:48pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Thats not short term thinking - short term thinking is what Swindon have done by signing a 28 year old with only one better than average goalscoring season.

We are clearly showing long term thinking with the average age of our signings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 32
AndyGTFC
July 15, 2011, 3:51pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
At the end of the day, a six figure sum is a big sum of money for a player at this level and even if you don't think we should have accepted that, Connell handed in a transfer request and obviously had his heart set on a move there. I'm drunk off too but we've got to move on.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 32
Wrawby_Mariner
July 15, 2011, 3:51pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
The answer to the question of 'What happens next' is Duffy, Makofo and Mulready step up to the plate. The money we have got for Connell WHATEVER the fee should imo be kept til January to fund our final promotion push.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 8 - 32
STB
July 15, 2011, 3:54pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
As Mr J Fenty (con) explained, survival is our main objective.
£100K for a conference player is a lot of money for Swindon.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 32
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 3:54pm
Guest User
Quoted from biggles9999
We are clearly showing long term thinking with the average age of our signings.

I agree with that but if we're "building for future" that's a different kettle of fish.
I was under the impression this season was sh1t or bust.
I may be wrong but when you look at the clubs debt you can't help be concerned that downsizing will happen next season if we don't get promoted.
Reply: 10 - 32
lowerfindus
July 15, 2011, 3:59pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
The answer to the question of 'What happens next' is Duffy, Makofo and Mulready step up to the plate. The money we have got for Connell WHATEVER the fee should imo be kept til January to fund our final promotion push.

Good point, keeping the cash for later in the season could be a big advantage. It would mean we could actually afford a fee for a player that shows promise in this league or the league below that may be able to improve the team.

As for Duffy I dont think he is anywhere near as bad as people make out and fingers crossed he shows that. Makofo has pace and that is a very useful attribute in any league. Maybe if he is used in the right manner we can make use of him. We have to stop paying off players and try to get something out of them.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 32
biggles9999
July 15, 2011, 4:00pm
Main Stander
Maybe it is excrement or bust, but maybe we have 2/3 other players lined up who we feel will come in and their efforts combined will be more effective than Connell.

Too much reactionism about in football nowadays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 32
July 15, 2011, 4:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from lowerfindus

As for Duffy I dont think he is anywhere near as bad as people make out and fingers crossed he shows that. Makofo has pace and that is a very useful attribute in any league. Maybe if he is used in the right manner we can make use of him. We have to stop paying off players and try to get something out of them.

That makes a hell of a lot of sense to me.
Reply: 13 - 32
Mariner Ronnie
July 15, 2011, 4:05pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
it's sad that he's gone but one good thing is he's not gonna be playing against us next season at least  

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 32
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 15, 2011, 4:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 1600

Short term thinking - exactly the reason we've ended up in this shithole of a league in the first place.

The second part is true but this transfer is simply good business. Short term thinking would have been to keep him and turn down £150k then let him go for nothing next year.

Well though Connell did last year, you are only as good as your last game. There is no guarantee he would do as well or even be in the side by the end of the season. So well done Fenty, for once this is forward thinking. Give the managers the cash to get one or two more lads who really see GTFC as a step up in their careers and will gives us their all.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 32
upthestripes
July 15, 2011, 4:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from 1600

What was all this b0llocks about him being "not for sale" and trying to fight off interest ?

Let's be honest - it's most probably the club posturing like they didn't want to sell when they really did.

?

I don't remember being told he wasn't for sale, only that he wouldn't be going to a BSP club and that a good offer from a league club would be seriously considered. Maybe I missed something?

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 32
upthestripes
July 15, 2011, 4:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from 1600

I was under the impression this season was sh1t or bust.

Why?

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 32
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 4:22pm
Guest User

The second part is true but this transfer is simply good business. Short term thinking would have been to keep him and turn down £150k then let him go for nothing next year.

Well though Connell did last year, you are only as good as your last game. There is no guarantee he would do as well or even be in the side by the end of the season. So well done Fenty, for once this is forward thinking. Give the managers the cash to get one or two more lads who really see GTFC as a step up in their careers and will gives us their all.

I'd be suprised if we got $150,000 !

TRRFC normally I respect your posts but with all due respect, everything I've seen you say today sounds like tired old cliches.

marinette made a great point a while ago on this site to the effect that if Connell can score 20+ goals with an alledged bunch of slackers and wasters, then why aren't we entertaining the idea of him doing even better ?

Suffice to say no-one ever responded to it....

We'll never know what might have been, but Swindon will most probably be challenging in L2 so obviously they can see the potentia in THEIR bid for promotion.

As for replacements for Connell, I think he's already here and called Liam Hearn.
Why did I ever doubt anything else ?  
Reply: 18 - 32
biggles9999
July 15, 2011, 4:25pm
Main Stander
Quoted from 1600

marinette made a great point a while ago on this site to the effect that if Connell can score 20+ goals with an alledged bunch of slackers and wasters, then why aren't we entertaining the idea of him doing even better ?

Maybe because it became clear he wanted out, after the end of Feb/March time last year he became less and less effective in games and he generally looked like he wanted out.

If that had carried on into this season then chances are he wouldnt have even been in the team to get the chance of scoring goals.

Maybe he got drunk off at the poor work-rate, maybe he wanted to be closer to home, maybe he wanted 'league' football, but he just didnt look as into it by the end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 32
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 4:48pm
Guest User
Quoted from upthestripes
I don't remember being told he wasn't for sale, only that he wouldn't be going to a BSP club and that a good offer from a league club would be seriously considered. Maybe I missed something?

Just look in the GET article
http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk.....22-detail/story.html

"I want to make it absolutely clear again that our top scorer is not for sale."

But that's my point though.
Fenty is full of doublespeak - he says one thing as if we're meant to beleive it's gospel but then immediate contradicts himself and says the opposite.

Ok he MAY have meant Luton, but in any case it's not conclusive, bordering on misleading and we've seen and heard of mutliple examples from the club saying they're not looking to sell.

"I can say again we are not looking to sell a player who was our top scorer last season."

Yeah, say it again Fenty !  

Why can't you just be straight with the fans and say you're loooking to sell at the right price ?
But oh no, we've got to have this all political talk and believe they're fighting tooth and nail to keep hold of him haven't we ?
My @rse !

As for the season being excrement or bust, it's a guess based on Fenty's own words about a need for promotion and articles in the media relating to the state of the clubs finances e.g. the youth team being under strain.
I hope it's not as bad as it sounds but at the end of the day(irrespective of the wages WE choose to pay), we're losing £500K every year we stay in the BSP.
Reply: 20 - 32
July 15, 2011, 4:53pm
Guest User
Quoted from 1600

As for the season being excrement or bust, it's a guess based on Fenty's own words about a need for promotion and articles in the media relating to the state of the clubs finances e.g. the youth team being under strain.
I hope it's not as bad as it sounds but at the end of the day(irrespective of the wages WE choose to pay), we're losing £500K every year we stay in the BSP.

Lucky we've got Fenty backing us financially, then?
Reply: 21 - 32
RoboCod
July 15, 2011, 4:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from 1600

Fenty is full of doublespeak - he says one thing as if we're meant to beleive it's gospel but then immediate contradicts himself and says the opposite.

Ok he MAY have meant Luton, but in any case it's not conclusive, bordering on misleading and we've seen and heard of mutliple examples from the club saying they're not looking to sell.

"I can say again we are not looking to sell a player who was our top scorer last season."

Why can't you just be straight with the fans and say you're loooking to sell at the right price ?
But oh no, we've got to have this all political talk and believe they're fighting tooth and nail to keep hold of him haven't we ?
My @rse !

I've never had a go at you 80's, I admire your enthusiasm a lot but you are beating a long-dead horse here....Fenty did what any chairman would have done. He said what any other would have said. It was a good deal, we got a big payout on a player that cost next to nothing, who did not want to be here for another season AND was not sold to LUTON or SCUNNY ! For that I am grateful.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 32
Devonmatt
July 15, 2011, 4:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
Quoted from 1600

My @rse !

For someone who apparently dissects everything into minute detail and forms opinion on every utterance to suddenly take the spoken word of a football club chairman as gospel seems strange, and if you don't mind me saying, a little naive.  

As mentioned elsewhere............"What happens next".........we move on

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 32
cod.gtfc
July 15, 2011, 4:59pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from 1600

yet again twisting things to prove your pointless argument.

How about quoting this line from the same article?

"Unless there is an offer from a league club, there is nothing for us to consider and Alan remains here where we want him and will be here on August 13 when the season begins.

He's not for sale unless a league club comes in with the right offer...........

its all very simple, now just stop going on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 32
Madeleymariner
July 15, 2011, 5:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
In the end, if you say you want to sell you will always get lower offers. He has gone to a league team whicgh is what he wanted, I dont see the problem. Pity hes going but its good business to sell while he is hot property, as long as a big chunk of it is added to the the transfer/wages kitty for this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 32
lowerfindus
July 15, 2011, 5:06pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
With strikers like Daryl Clare and Spencer Weir-Daly knocking about re-investment may come sooner than later.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 32
gary_elton
July 15, 2011, 5:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
ermmmm  80's glory ?  are you Macca ?    

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 32
Shiver
July 15, 2011, 5:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Quoted from gary_elton
ermmmm  80's glory ?  are you Macca ?    

Macca could be a right male private but he wasn't stupid,  80s however...

Quoted from aaron rattray
as i said we have known each other since before i was born
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 32
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 6:44pm
Guest User
Quoted from Devonmatt
For someone who apparently dissects everything into minute detail and forms opinion on every utterance to suddenly take the spoken word of a football club chairman as gospel seems strange, and if you don't mind me saying, a little naive.

You've totally misunderstood so are in no position to call me naive, quite the opposite in fact.  
I never took it as gospel at all, I always had my doubts.
But the tone and arrogance of Fenty's words and statements suggested he wanted fans to treat his re-assurances with complete acceptance.

Quoted from cod.gtfc
yet again twisting things to prove your pointless argument.

Says you who missed out half of my quote to twist your own argument.

Quoted from Shiver
Macca could be a right male private but he wasn't stupid,  80s however...

If I'm that stupid then how come I fired the warning shot about Woodsys tenure after the first home game of last season whilst everyone else thought we were heading for the football league ?

But don't worry, if I think we're going up I'll be shouting it from the rooftops.
Reply: 29 - 32
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 15, 2011, 7:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 1600

I'd be suprised if we got $150,000 !

TRRFC normally I respect your posts but with all due respect, everything I've seen you say today sounds like tired old cliches.

We'll never know what might have been, but Swindon will most probably be challenging in L2 so obviously they can see the potentia in THEIR bid for promotion.

As for replacements for Connell, I think he's already here and called Liam Hearn.
Why did I ever doubt anything else ?  

Well I will reiterate a cliche for you 80s   - you are only as good as your last post game.

I think Swindon may well have drawn a blank with this signing. Many strikers over the years have had a purple patch season and then sunk back into the pack. Connell did very well last year but I honestly don't think he would do the same again if he stayed here. As you say, we will never know. But it must be good business to sell on someone who came for "free" before he can go for free, especially as he obviously wanted to go. Never keep an unhappy player.

I didn't actually say "replacements for Connell" though I guess there might be another striker on the books before too long unless Duffy suddenly becomes a hero.

But let's be realistic and look to the future instead of going on about what might have been - he's gone, history. Thank you very much, good luck and all that .......... but I am more interested in the club and what we can do with an undisclosed six figure fee.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 32
cod.gtfc
July 15, 2011, 7:27pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from 1600

Says you who missed out half of my quote to twist your own argument.

Read your post again and then tell me how any of it was any different to the part I quoted. I just condensed it down because you spout crap after crap after crap.

Quoted Text

My @rse !

particularly the part about double speak and how he says hes not for sale. Yet you fail to put in the quote where he isn't for sale "UNLESS" some league club comes in with right offer.

Don't bother replying cause your now on ignore, well done first poster on here I have bothered to ignore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 32
Abdul19
July 15, 2011, 8:11pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,601
Gold Stars: 219
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
The answer to the question of 'What happens next' is Duffy, Makofo and Mulready step up to the plate.

I'd be surprised if they'll get anywhere near 'the plate'. A lazy fat bloke, a bloke who can run fast but can't play football and a kid on a 6 month deal.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 32
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What happens next

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.