No Members and 81 Guests

What happens next

This thread currently has 3,272 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 3:54pm
Guest User
Quoted from biggles9999
We are clearly showing long term thinking with the average age of our signings.

I agree with that but if we're "building for future" that's a different kettle of fish.
I was under the impression this season was sh1t or bust.
I may be wrong but when you look at the clubs debt you can't help be concerned that downsizing will happen next season if we don't get promoted.
Reply: 10 - 32
lowerfindus
July 15, 2011, 3:59pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Wrawby_Mariner
The answer to the question of 'What happens next' is Duffy, Makofo and Mulready step up to the plate. The money we have got for Connell WHATEVER the fee should imo be kept til January to fund our final promotion push.

Good point, keeping the cash for later in the season could be a big advantage. It would mean we could actually afford a fee for a player that shows promise in this league or the league below that may be able to improve the team.

As for Duffy I dont think he is anywhere near as bad as people make out and fingers crossed he shows that. Makofo has pace and that is a very useful attribute in any league. Maybe if he is used in the right manner we can make use of him. We have to stop paying off players and try to get something out of them.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 32
biggles9999
July 15, 2011, 4:00pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Maybe it is excrement or bust, but maybe we have 2/3 other players lined up who we feel will come in and their efforts combined will be more effective than Connell.

Too much reactionism about in football nowadays.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 32
July 15, 2011, 4:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from lowerfindus

As for Duffy I dont think he is anywhere near as bad as people make out and fingers crossed he shows that. Makofo has pace and that is a very useful attribute in any league. Maybe if he is used in the right manner we can make use of him. We have to stop paying off players and try to get something out of them.

That makes a hell of a lot of sense to me.
Reply: 13 - 32
Mariner Ronnie
July 15, 2011, 4:05pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
it's sad that he's gone but one good thing is he's not gonna be playing against us next season at least  

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 32
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 15, 2011, 4:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 1600

Short term thinking - exactly the reason we've ended up in this shithole of a league in the first place.

The second part is true but this transfer is simply good business. Short term thinking would have been to keep him and turn down £150k then let him go for nothing next year.

Well though Connell did last year, you are only as good as your last game. There is no guarantee he would do as well or even be in the side by the end of the season. So well done Fenty, for once this is forward thinking. Give the managers the cash to get one or two more lads who really see GTFC as a step up in their careers and will gives us their all.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 32
upthestripes
July 15, 2011, 4:18pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from 1600

What was all this b0llocks about him being "not for sale" and trying to fight off interest ?

Let's be honest - it's most probably the club posturing like they didn't want to sell when they really did.

?

I don't remember being told he wasn't for sale, only that he wouldn't be going to a BSP club and that a good offer from a league club would be seriously considered. Maybe I missed something?

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 32
upthestripes
July 15, 2011, 4:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from 1600

I was under the impression this season was sh1t or bust.

Why?

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 32
80sglory
July 15, 2011, 4:22pm
Guest User

The second part is true but this transfer is simply good business. Short term thinking would have been to keep him and turn down £150k then let him go for nothing next year.

Well though Connell did last year, you are only as good as your last game. There is no guarantee he would do as well or even be in the side by the end of the season. So well done Fenty, for once this is forward thinking. Give the managers the cash to get one or two more lads who really see GTFC as a step up in their careers and will gives us their all.

I'd be suprised if we got $150,000 !

TRRFC normally I respect your posts but with all due respect, everything I've seen you say today sounds like tired old cliches.

marinette made a great point a while ago on this site to the effect that if Connell can score 20+ goals with an alledged bunch of slackers and wasters, then why aren't we entertaining the idea of him doing even better ?

Suffice to say no-one ever responded to it....

We'll never know what might have been, but Swindon will most probably be challenging in L2 so obviously they can see the potentia in THEIR bid for promotion.

As for replacements for Connell, I think he's already here and called Liam Hearn.
Why did I ever doubt anything else ?  
Reply: 18 - 32
biggles9999
July 15, 2011, 4:25pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from 1600

marinette made a great point a while ago on this site to the effect that if Connell can score 20+ goals with an alledged bunch of slackers and wasters, then why aren't we entertaining the idea of him doing even better ?

Suffice to say no-one ever responded to it....

Maybe because it became clear he wanted out, after the end of Feb/March time last year he became less and less effective in games and he generally looked like he wanted out.

If that had carried on into this season then chances are he wouldnt have even been in the team to get the chance of scoring goals.

Maybe he got drunk off at the poor work-rate, maybe he wanted to be closer to home, maybe he wanted 'league' football, but he just didnt look as into it by the end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 32
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What happens next

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.