Should be on main board but herer goes

This thread currently has 3,979 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Meggy
November 13, 2009, 9:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Quoted from MOONSTOMP

After hearing that the Birmingham council changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's licence with her face covered.

Point 1, as stated above, DVLA issues licenses, not City Councils.

Quoted from MOONSTOMP

But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our National Motto, or Our Way of Life, I encourage you take advantage of one other great British freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.

As far as I'm aware, we don't have a "Pledge" that would be the Yanks, which is point 2, going to prove that this, whether we support it or not, was written in the good old freedom loving USA.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 28
Les Brechin
November 13, 2009, 9:47pm

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,730
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Meggy

As far as I'm aware, we don't have a "Pledge" that would be the Yanks, which is point 2, going to prove that this, whether we support it or not, was written in the good old freedom loving USA.

It was actually originally by the AUSTRALIAN Prime Minister.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 28
Welwynmariner
November 14, 2009, 7:19am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from In Cod We Trust

I think it was a footnote in the Childhood Wellbeing report commisioned by Ed Balls. Most likely bullshit though eh?

I think you found it in the Sun and just repeated it  Draw your own conclusions
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 28
Welwynmariner
November 14, 2009, 7:25am

Fine Wine Drinker

If I moved abroad I would expect to adapt to the language, cultures and traditions of my new home and I believe the overwhelming majority of immigrants to this country feel the same. The fact is, for all their good intentions, the extreme left do just as much to promote alienation, division and ethnic disharmony as the far right do.

You'll have to venture out of the country and go meet some Brits abroad. People of all nationalities retain their language, culture and traditions. The English exported football, India Pale Ale and above all the English language.

Go to Chile and you'll even find a major league club called Everton in Vina del Mar, they won the Chilean league last year. Their local rivals are Santiago Wanderers. There's also a club called Rangers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 28
In Cod We Trust
November 14, 2009, 9:55am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Quoted from Welwynmariner

I think you found it in the Sun and just repeated it  Draw your own conclusions

Of course I did, The Sun along with The Daily Mail clearly provides me with all the information I need to form my opinions. Alternatively, here's a link to the referenced report [url]http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/research/data/uploadfiles/DCSF-RW031%20v2.pdf[/url] Try P66 for the info on our national flag.

I agree that ex-pats retain their culture and values but they have to make concessions to their host nation. On the whole in the Middle East, women are expected to dress conservatively and drinking (if permitted) takes place in set locations. You have to adapt to their culture but that doesn't have to be at the expense of your own identity.

The only real point (and there is only one) I was trying to make was that poorly thought out left wing initiatives do as much damage as right wing knuckle draggers. If the left pushes these type of policies they will continue to make people feel marginalised and that provides the foundations for the far right to build on. They can take evidence of these policies to areas like NE Lincs any prey on peoples fears, chuck in some rumours about Muslims being top of the council house waiting list and Poles being first in line for 'our' jobs and hey presto suddenly they have seats in the European parliament.

Another recent example was the Question Time debacle. Most of us will agree that Nick Griffin is a slimy, insipid toad but chucking him into an ultra left wing bear pit to show everyone how hideous he is backfired spectacularly. Those good left wing intentions did more to raise the profile of Griffin than 100 BNP party political broadcasts.

What we should be doing is aiming for the middle ground and dare I say it common sense, something which is sadly lacking in this country. This lack prevents serious debate on immigration because the race card will always inevitably be played. In my eyes, succesful immigration requires people coming here who have something to offer (we have a big enough work-shy benefit culture without importing new members), free to pursue their religous and cultural acitivities (as they are now) but not to the extent that it erodes our culture, values and national identity.

Quoted from wycombemariner
5 years minimum if we go down, you mark my words!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 28
Chrisblor
November 14, 2009, 9:58am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,988
Gold Stars: 243
Sounds like none of these British ex-pats were all that bothered about integrating into their new country...

Quoted Text
Television shows such as Channel 4's A Place in the Sun promised adventure, swimming pools and the good life. A collapsing pound and the credit crunch have brought a harsher reality: homesickness, financial hardship and something those who call themselves "expats" rarely take into account, that they are immigrants – often with all the problems of not understanding the language or the rules. Interestingly, a surprising number of them list immigration as one of the things they dislike about Britain. Few, indeed, come from Britain's own ethnic minorities.

The article also starts off by mentioning the former existance over there of British butchers, bars and cafes although many have closed due to the recession.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jul/24/spain-expats

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 28
grimsby pete
November 14, 2009, 11:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222

Of course I did, The Sun along with The Daily Mail clearly provides me with all the information I need to form my opinions. Alternatively, here's a link to the referenced report [url]http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/research/data/uploadfiles/DCSF-RW031%20v2.pdf[/url] Try P66 for the info on our national flag.

I agree that ex-pats retain their culture and values but they have to make concessions to their host nation. On the whole in the Middle East, women are expected to dress conservatively and drinking (if permitted) takes place in set locations. You have to adapt to their culture but that doesn't have to be at the expense of your own identity.

The only real point (and there is only one) I was trying to make was that poorly thought out left wing initiatives do as much damage as right wing knuckle draggers. If the left pushes these type of policies they will continue to make people feel marginalised and that provides the foundations for the far right to build on. They can take evidence of these policies to areas like NE Lincs any prey on peoples fears, chuck in some rumours about Muslims being top of the council house waiting list and Poles being first in line for 'our' jobs and hey presto suddenly they have seats in the European parliament.

Another recent example was the Question Time debacle. Most of us will agree that Nick Griffin is a slimy, insipid toad but chucking him into an ultra left wing bear pit to show everyone how hideous he is backfired spectacularly. Those good left wing intentions did more to raise the profile of Griffin than 100 BNP party political broadcasts.

What we should be doing is aiming for the middle ground and dare I say it common sense, something which is sadly lacking in this country. This lack prevents serious debate on immigration because the race card will always inevitably be played. In my eyes, succesful immigration requires people coming here who have something to offer (we have a big enough work-shy benefit culture without importing new members), free to pursue their religous and cultural acitivities (as they are now) but not to the extent that it erodes our culture, values and national identity.

Well said.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 28
Welwynmariner
November 14, 2009, 6:10pm

Fine Wine Drinker

Remember Paul Simon saying that he gathered all the news he needed from the weather reports?

What this section actually says is

Many of the groups, both upmarket and downmarket, those who contained only white
English, and those who contained BMEs, felt that it was not longer permitted to be proud to
be English. There were many stories told of how their children had been sent home for
wearing clothing containing the Cross of St George, or being reprimanded for having a
English flag on their van. The general perception amongst respondents (parents and
carers in particular) was that it was no longer acceptable to be proud to be English.
“[His employer] had a go at me and made me take it in, during the World Cup, I ask you.
Every single other nation was proud to be flying their flag, and they made us take ours
down. What does that tell you about England nowadays?”
(Father, Family Depth, eldest child in KS3, Ripley)

The trouble is this is what happens when people make up and repeat stories like some of those you "invented" about Christmas Lights and Driving Licences, both of which are completely untrue.

As it happens I don't think it is appropriate to display any national flag on a work vehicle. It's what used to happen in Northern Ireland to keep the Catholic population in their place. There's a big difference between hanging a Union Jack out of your front bedroom window in the World or European Cup (it's your house and your business) or in your private car (I have a GTFC sticker on my back window btw) and sticking a Union Jack or a cross of St George on a van or in your workplace.

Children will be sent home (more likely they will be told to remove) any item of jewellery or badges not related to the school. It's common school uniform policy. So it's not about the cross of St George it's about jewellery of any kind
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 28
MOONSTOMP
November 16, 2009, 12:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +0 / -1
This was sent as an email so i posted it i do not care who or where it came from. All i want is for people to take note and listen, as uncomfortable as it may be for some people to accept many people infact nearly everyone i know agree with the statement. So shout it down and ignore them but do not bleat and whine  when they turn to a party they feel will listen to them. Because every lefty PC rule screamed out by some soap dodging student means unfortunately more votes for the Right.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Should be on main board but herer goes

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.