13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
LocalLadGTFC
April 16, 2024, 11:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,413
Gold Stars: 142
I don't understand all this talk of BP being unfit for purpose... been to most away games this season and it's probably top 5/10 grounds in the league. No way near the state of some of the grounds in this league... obviously the problem is based on potential future progression but the problem is more about people releasing seats than it is actual capacity.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 90 - 127
diehardmariner
April 16, 2024, 12:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 545
And that's it - our potential for growth is really limited there.

And it's also a huge money pit.  We're consistently throwing money at it just to make it right, not for any benefit other than allowing us to continue to play from there.

I think Maringer is onto the right thing with the added on facilities forming part of the training ground.  I don't think there's a huge revenue stream of having facilities at the football club.  Sure there's a few who will have a wedding or engagement at the club because it's actually at Blundell Park, but the real money comes from those who are looking for good and accessible facilities (sadly, none of which BP is).

From absolute personal experience, there's a definite lack of conference type facilities in this area.  I'm going on a bit of a presumption that there's demand but the right facility would definitely generate income.

I'm also not going to pretend that BP is indeed fit for purpose.  It's really unpopular to say and I know people love the place but I'm sorry it's a shithole.  Yes it's our shithole but it's still just that.  There's plenty of other shitholes in this league but to be 100% honest I don't want to be competing with League Two dumps.  I want us to be better than that.  It needs a lot doing to it.  Some relatively short term (toilets), some medium term (making good the Main Stand) and then some much longer term (increasing capacity, generally having better stands etc.)
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 127
jamesgtfc
April 16, 2024, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,106
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Maringer

I could have sworn I've watched hundreds of football matches at BP over the past 40-odd years. It's got a pitch, stands, seating and a safety certificate, so it is certainly fit for that purpose and will be so for the foreseeable future. The problems will come when we need to replace the Main Stand. Hopefully, the owners have some sort of a plan in this regard. I'd imagine they will be liaising with the safety bods about this.

We can't fit a conference centre in the ground and don't have room for many other facilities, but those are just sidelines for a football club to help keep it going. What won't keep a club going is moving to a new stadium which it can't afford to even build in the first place!

Could we look to build a new training ground with a conference centre attached as part of the development? If it was not far off the A180, it would probably be a better location than having to drive through Grimsby to get to BP? No idea if this would be any more feasible than a new ground, of course.

Is there a huge need for conference facilities in North East Lincolnshire though?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 127
Maringer
April 16, 2024, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,713
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Is there a huge need for conference facilities in North East Lincolnshire though?

If you build it, they will come...

(...probably)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 127
Theimperialcoroner
April 16, 2024, 12:41pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,335
Gold Stars: 103
Looking at league One, there are probably only 5 grounds as bad or worse than ours. That’s a measure of how much we need to do.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 127
It Bites
April 16, 2024, 12:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,220
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from ginnywings
All this talk of next season is making me feel uneasy.

We are not mathematically out of the current mess yet.

I’ve still got a nervous feeling so I’m guessing we’re definitely not safe yet
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 127
RonMariner
April 16, 2024, 12:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,906
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from It Bites

I’ve still got a nervous feeling so I’m guessing we’re definitely not safe yet

If we lose our last three games and they win their last two it means at least a 5 goal turnaround on goal diff. Sutton need a ten goal turnaround so they need the winning margins in those five matches to average 2 goals.

It’s not impossible by any means but I really don’t see us losing at home to Swindon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 127
Poojah
April 16, 2024, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,050
Gold Stars: 1,535
Quoted from RonMariner

If we lose our last three games and they win their last two it means at least a 5 goal turnaround on goal diff. Sutton need a ten goal turnaround so they need the winning margins in those five matches to average 2 goals.

It’s not impossible by any means but I really don’t see us losing at home to Swindon.

Yep, three 2-0 defeats for us combined with two 2-0 wins for Sutton AND an additional win for Colchester would relegate us, but that strikes me as an extremely unlikely sequence of events. Still, like everyone else I’ll be able to relax that bit more once the job is officially done.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 127
LocalLadGTFC
April 16, 2024, 1:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,413
Gold Stars: 142
Quoted from diehardmariner
And that's it - our potential for growth is really limited there.

And it's also a huge money pit.  We're consistently throwing money at it just to make it right, not for any benefit other than allowing us to continue to play from there.

I think Maringer is onto the right thing with the added on facilities forming part of the training ground.  I don't think there's a huge revenue stream of having facilities at the football club.  Sure there's a few who will have a wedding or engagement at the club because it's actually at Blundell Park, but the real money comes from those who are looking for good and accessible facilities (sadly, none of which BP is).

From absolute personal experience, there's a definite lack of conference type facilities in this area.  I'm going on a bit of a presumption that there's demand but the right facility would definitely generate income.

I'm also not going to pretend that BP is indeed fit for purpose.  It's really unpopular to say and I know people love the place but I'm sorry it's a shithole.  Yes it's our shithole but it's still just that.  There's plenty of other shitholes in this league but to be 100% honest I don't want to be competing with League Two dumps.  I want us to be better than that.  It needs a lot doing to it.  Some relatively short term (toilets), some medium term (making good the Main Stand) and then some much longer term (increasing capacity, generally having better stands etc.)

Potential growth is limited I agree, but it's only draining money away in the short term because it's been abused in the long term.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 98 - 127
diehardmariner
April 16, 2024, 1:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 545
Without question.  But it's the card we've got to work with.  We either address it soon or we continue to put sticky plaster over the big holes.
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 127
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Never in this mess again

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.