5 questions I'd like to ask Artell

This thread currently has 3,879 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 15, 2024, 11:47am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from grimps

It would be interesting to see the league positions and points on the board from when they both started here , I cant remember us being in the bottom 2 positions all season but I'm sure we was pretty early under Holloway

I'm dredging up the old memory and can't be arsed to do any proper research but I recall the start under Holloway being OK and we were in a relatively healthy position but results took a nosedive and kept going, it was like a death slide that seemed inevitable. The team looked poor and shot of all confidence. I think Holloway went before we hit the relegation zone but Hurst couldn't arrest the slide in time. But I'm 100% happy to be told otherwise.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
Mappers
April 15, 2024, 11:51am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,400
Gold Stars: 119
I just hope he finds a happy medium between Artell ball and standard league 2 footy which would probably see us do relatively well .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
diehardmariner
April 15, 2024, 11:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,650
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from grimps

It would be interesting to see the league positions and points on the board from when they both started here , I cant remember us being in the bottom 2 positions all season but I'm sure we was pretty early under Holloway

20/21 - Hurst's first game in charge was Cambridge at home 2nd Jan - 22nd game of the season. Defeat saw us go into the bottom two.  We had briefly sat in the bottom two early on in the season but my hazy memory says we had a few games to catch up on early on?

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/league-progress/2020-2021

23/24

Hurst leaves us after the 16th game ( Town just dropped to 21st in the table).  Artell takes over just in time for the 20th game (point at MK Dons lifts us a whole place to 20th from 21st).  As we sit now, 22nd and hopes of using our game in hand to overtake Salford and finish 21st.  Very much a case of as you were.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/league-progress

I think Hurst had a harder task in 2021 to be honest.  There wasn't much of a redeeming feature he inherited.  The spine of the team that battled to stay up (Eastwood, Menayese, Hewitt, Coke, Matete, LJL) were all brought in or had their position adjusted by Hurst in the case of Hewitt.  Artell at least had something to build on here, if not loads.

Both inherited poor squads and sides, the one Artell got is/was probably of better quality but lacked balance.  The squad Holloway handed Hurst was utter shite.  The league table absolutely masks how bad it was and the fact everyone was getting better as we were getting worse.  A team with someone like Danny Rose up top always has a chance.  A team with Ira Jackson Jnr up top doesn't.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
LocalLadGTFC
April 15, 2024, 11:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
I'd quite like to see us evolve the way we play now, gives us the protection to be defensively resillent and as shown by Saturday you can effectively dominate the ball. I think 5 at the back suits us as a club, Hurst stumbled upon it last year and got results and then it just so happened to be the formation we've reverted to in our time of need this. I don't think it's a coincedence, if done well then you can really dominate teams in wide areas with the centre backs joining the attacks aswell as having 3 bodies in the midfield to not be overloaded in there and 2 strikers to not leave one isolated like we see many a time this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 42
pontoonlew
April 15, 2024, 12:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,088
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from grimps

We were 22nd when Hurst joined in 2020, 3 points off relegation (20 points in 21 games) and we ended up relegated by 5 points.

When Artell joined we were 21st, 4 points clear of relegation (19 points in 19 games). We’re now 6 points clear with a game in hand.

The positions were barely any different, yet the consensus was Hurst couldn’t possibly have done any different and it was impossible to get anybody who resembled a footballer in during January. Artell on the other hand has been regularly hammered for not being good enough, despite the outcome being very different.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 15, 2024, 12:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think Hurst had a harder task in 2021 to be honest.  There wasn't much of a redeeming feature he inherited.  The spine of the team that battled to stay up (Eastwood, Menayese, Hewitt, Coke, Matete, LJL) were all brought in or had their position adjusted by Hurst in the case of Hewitt.  Artell at least had something to build on here, if not loads.

Both inherited poor squads and sides, the one Artell got is/was probably of better quality but lacked balance.  The squad Holloway handed Hurst was utter shite.  The league table absolutely masks how bad it was and the fact everyone was getting better as we were getting worse.  A team with someone like Danny Rose up top always has a chance.  A team with Ira Jackson Jnr up top doesn't.

I think you're bang on here, the team Hurst inherited was awful and although he brought in much better players they struggled to overcome the shortcomings of the rest of the squad. I genuinely didn't think the current team would get relegated while the team Hurst inherited just looked like it was inevitable.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
Theimperialcoroner
April 15, 2024, 12:57pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,246
Gold Stars: 102

Gravy with fish AND chips?! I can almost deal with chips and gravy - some weirdos actually like it.

But gravy with battered fish..are you a mentalist?!

I completely agree. Who in their right mind would do that?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
Rodley Mariner
April 15, 2024, 1:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,254
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from pontoonlew

We were 22nd when Hurst joined in 2020, 3 points off relegation (20 points in 21 games) and we ended up relegated by 5 points.

When Artell joined we were 21st, 4 points clear of relegation (19 points in 19 games). We’re now 6 points clear with a game in hand.

The positions were barely any different, yet the consensus was Hurst couldn’t possibly have done any different and it was impossible to get anybody who resembled a footballer in during January. Artell on the other hand has been regularly hammered for not being good enough, despite the outcome being very different.

There is one massive difference which you're overlooking. Hurst had inherited a dreadful squad from Holloway but the country had also just gone back into a full national lockdown. Recruitment in January is hard enough but persuading contracted players to move from their homes during that time must have been an absolute nightmare.

I think Artell has done alright incidentally and never advocated getting rid. I also think the recruitment of Tharme and Thompson has made a massive difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
AussieMariner
April 15, 2024, 6:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
[quote=40]1. Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?

I’m pretty sure my bladder has declared independence from my brain
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
Heisenberg
April 15, 2024, 10:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,097
Gold Stars: 95

Gravy with fish AND chips?! I can almost deal with chips and gravy - some weirdos actually like it.

But gravy with battered fish..are you a mentalist?!

I tried it once and felt thoroughly ashamed of myself. Mind you, not the only thing I could give that description!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 5 questions I'd like to ask Artell

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.