5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
April 14, 2024, 10:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,780
Gold Stars: 226
We managed to attract players of the calibre of Thompson and Tharme in January, so why can’t we sign a few more of their ability in the summer.

I think we already have four quality players in those two, Rose and Vernam. If we can sign just four more we will have a very competitive team. Six more and we could do very well indeed next season.

It’s not mission impossible by any means.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
April 14, 2024, 10:55pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +881
Gold Stars: 120
When does the 'Rumours' page start for next season?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
AdamHaddock
April 14, 2024, 11:00pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,834
Gold Stars: 26
When does the 'Rumours' page start for next season?

CDAJATL

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
hampshiremariner
April 14, 2024, 11:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,050
Gold Stars: 35
Are we still the team that’s thrown away the most points from winning positions?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
diehardmariner
April 15, 2024, 9:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,651
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from forza ivano
1) Since we changed shape we have 17 points from 12 games which is play off form. Putting your own feelings to 1 side ( i suspect he hates having to play this way), is it feasible for a team to play that system all season?

2) In an ideal world would you have a 1st choice keeper with a back up or 2 equal ability keepers fighting for the spot ?

3) Do you agree that you have to adapt your system of playing to suit the players you have and can feasibly get?

4) Are any of the 1st team pros or the under 18s good enough to become significant members of the 1st team squad next season?

5) What are the 3 biggest areas where you want to see an improvement in the next 6 months?

Time will tell on points 1 and 3.  He got the majority of his success at Crewe with a 4-3-3 system, but that was on that arguably suited the players.  He had the right players there to play that system, how much of that was by design and how much was by accident I don't know.  You could probably argue that bringing in the likes of Porter and Green helped compliment what he had in terms of Kirk, Ainley, Ng et al. and he shaped it from there.

Considering what we've seen him do these past few months in terms of fitting the system around the players, I would imagine what system we play will again be largely dictated with what he has at his disposal.  Without doubt he'll have a perfect system in mind, based on his earlier games here I suspect it'll be a 4-2-3-1 type system.  But I think he's smart enough to know that a) he'll have to flex any system and b) it's no good going with the system that doesn't suit the players.

As everyone is pretty much saying, I think the real value heading into next season is that we've got a strong core of Tharme, Thompson and Rose running through the middle of the side.  Whichever system you play that core can remain, it's just the bits around it that really need working on.

I'm not opposed to going three at the back, far from it.  I actually think it's a really good system and in many ways allows you to progressively overload in areas that few other systems do.  One defender stepping up and two wingbacks stepping inside can very quickly see you go 6 on 3 or 4 in central areas.  You've also got the option of a striker dropping deeper as well to give you even more of an overload.  

The only downside to a 3 at the back is that I think it can limit you going forward.  As they're on their own on the flank, you tend to need more defensive minded wingbacks than attack ones.  I've been pleasantly surprised with how well Vernam has done in his two games at wingback, I didn't think it was in him.  If he can do it over more than two games is to be seen though.  On the other flank I think Smith has improved since coming back into the side but he's more steady than spectacular.  You really need your wingbacks to dominate if you're playing that system.  I still think there's an argument for putting and keeping Clifton out there.  Technically he won't dominate but I think his energy more than offsets everything else.  You could say the same for Smith I suppose, but because Clifton is so disciplined you can perhaps afford a more attack minded left sided wingback as you can shift across a little bit when they go forward.

Centrally though we would need more quality to continue with that system.  Green and Holohan were magnificent on Saturday.  But you can't win promotion just with hustle and bustle.  There has to be someone in there who will get things happening, especially as you've got a reduced threat from wide.  We don't have that.

Be it 3 at the back or a 4, the midfield remains the key to how we progress. We lack anyone capable of consistently hurting teams from wide and centrally.  There's also the 'Grimsby Way' to contend with.  A lack of that approach cost Hurst his job. Artell spoke upon his appointment about how he joined because the club already had a vision and a style they wanted.  I'm sure 1878 were happy for Artell to deviate from that to ensure safety, but the expectation will remain to see us playing attacking and attractive football.  
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
TownSNAFU5
April 15, 2024, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Good points as ever DHM.

We also need to look at the length of contracts that we offer to individual players.  Hard to get right. Longer contacts are perhaps needed sometimes to attract players to this part of the country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 15, 2024, 11:16am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
1. Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
2. Gravy with fish and chips?
3. Are you in love with a notion?
4. What time is love?
5. Nigel Batch or Danny Coyne?

Gravy with fish AND chips?! I can almost deal with chips and gravy - some weirdos actually like it.

But gravy with battered fish..are you a mentalist?!

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
grimps
April 15, 2024, 11:34am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from pontoonlew

I certainly won’t be celebrating that part but you can give credit where it’s due.

A few years back Hurst took over from Holloway in a situation not too dissimilar to the one Artell took on, he took us down with barely a whimper and got widely praised for it whilst Holloway was touted as our worst ever manager.

Artell takes us on in a strikingly similar position, struggles at first then sees us safe with 3 games to spare and the jury somehow seems out on him?

Our form has been pretty decent since Doncaster and I think it’s something we can be confident we can build on.

It would be interesting to see the league positions and points on the board from when they both started here , I cant remember us being in the bottom 2 positions all season but I'm sure we was pretty early under Holloway
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
Mayaman
April 15, 2024, 11:35am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,420
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from grimsby pete
1. Where did you find that striker 28 goals in first season . Brilliant !!!!

2, Did you think we would be playing at Wembley this season. After winning EFL Trophy.

3. When did you think we would be champions .  With 6 games to play or with four games left .

4.Did you think we could win at Old Trafford by 3 clear goals before the game .

5. Do you think we could win L 1 next season seeing we only lost 2 games this year.

Well we can dream can't we ?  

If Carlsberg did Artel interviews.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
scrumble
April 15, 2024, 11:42am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from GollyGTFC

If my Aunt had a pair of b0ll0cks she'd be my Uncle.

That phrase really doesn't work these days

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › 5 questions I'd like to ask Artell

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.