6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
LocalLadGTFC
April 14, 2024, 11:34am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,311
Gold Stars: 137
So i've seen this discussed on Twitter, but for next season these are the players that we have under contract.

Eastwood - 2025
Mullarkey - 2025
Rodgers - 2026
Tharme - 2026
Hunt - 2025
Khouri - 2026
Thompson - 2025
Rose - 2025
Vernam - 2026
Gardner - 2026
Pyke - 2025
Wilson - 2025

I think out of the lads under contract we'll probably only see Pyke and possibly Wilson told they can go elsewhere, I think the rest for me have all shown enough to show that they can contribute to a squad... Never thought i'd say that about our defence after Doncaster but the results since then have been good and the defence have been a major reason for that, we've shut a lot of teams out. The biggest problem area for me is getting competent players in and around Thompson that can do more with the ball and then a good partner for Danny. It will be very interesting to see how Gardner is used as I think he could be a real talent and due to his size could be a real asset. He's took to mens football at Boro like a duck to water. As for the out of contract players, I think Green might have played his way into another year deal but there's nobody else i'd really look at keeping. Been really impressed with Smith since he's come into the side, defensively he's very good.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
toontown
April 14, 2024, 12:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
So i've seen this discussed on Twitter, but for next season these are the players that we have under contract.

Eastwood - 2025
Mullarkey - 2025
Rodgers - 2026
Tharme - 2026
Hunt - 2025
Khouri - 2026
Thompson - 2025
Vernam - 2026
Gardner - 2026
Pyke - 2025
Wilson - 2025

I think out of the lads under contract we'll probably only see Pyke and possibly Wilson told they can go elsewhere, I think the rest for me have all shown enough to show that they can contribute to a squad... Never thought i'd say that about our defence after Doncaster but the results since then have been good and the defence have been a major reason for that, we've shut a lot of teams out. The biggest problem area for me is getting competent players in and around Thompson that can do more with the ball and then a good partner for Danny. It will be very interesting to see how Gardner is used as I think he could be a real talent and due to his size could be a real asset. He's took to mens football at Boro like a duck to water. As for the out of contract players, I think Green might have played his way into another year deal but there's nobody else i'd really look at keeping. Been really impressed with Smith since he's come into the side, defensively he's very good.

You've missed Rose
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2024, 12:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Eastwood - 2025
Mullarkey - 2025
Rodgers - 2026
Tharme - 2026
Hunt - 2025
Khouri - 2026
Thompson - 2025
Vernam - 2026
Gardner - 2026
Pyke - 2025
Wilson - 2025

Though I’m surprised i think you’re right about Green, Clifton will be offered something I assume. Wilson will be gone, I’m possibly in the minority but don’t think he’s that big a loss.

Haven’t got a clue about Pyke as he’s never fit.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
jimgtfc
April 14, 2024, 1:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,099
Gold Stars: 45
Pretty sure Green’s got an option for a years extension.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
GollyGTFC
April 14, 2024, 1:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,037
Gold Stars: 358
UNDER CONTRACT

Retain for next season

4 Kieran Green (June 2025*)
5 Harvey Rodgers (June 2026)
6 Curtis Thompson (June 2025)
10 Charles Vernam (June 2026)
12 Jake Eastwood (June 2025)
24 Doug Tharme (June 2026)
28 Toby Mullarkey June 2025)
30 Evan Khouri (June 2026)
32 Danny Rose (June 2025)
35 Cameron Gardner (June 2026)

Transfer List

9 Rekeil Pyke (June 2025)
25 Donovan Wilson (June 2025)
29 Alex Hunt (June 2025)

OUT OF CONTRACT

Offer new deal

-

Release

3 Anthony Glennon
7 Abo Eisa
8 Gavan Holohan
11 Otis Khan
14 Arthur Gnahoua
15 Harry Clifton
16 Callum Ainley
22 Danny Amos
33 Denver Hume
31 Niall Maher
34 Aaron Braithwaite
37 Harvey Tomlinson
38 Jamie Bramwell
39 Edwin Essel
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 55
Swansea_Mariner
April 14, 2024, 2:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Of the young lads Bramwell looks the pick to me I think he's definitely worth an extension.

Of the others out of contract only Clifton I  think has shown enough at this level and possibly Ainley based on his previous experience at Crewe would be worth a longer look.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
kevikov
April 14, 2024, 2:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
I’d look at Hume for another year. I think mullarkey will struggle to get game time if DA goes to his preferred 4-4-2. I wouldn’t offer Clifton another contract. I think he needs another challenge tbf.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
Mikey_345
April 14, 2024, 2:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,521
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Eastwood - 2025
Mullarkey - 2025
Rodgers - 2026
Tharme - 2026
Hunt - 2025
Khouri - 2026
Thompson - 2025
Rose - 2025
Vernam - 2026
Gardner - 2026
Pyke - 2025
Wilson - 2025

I’m sure Danny Rose was on the original… 😉

One thing I’ve heard a lot of this season is “we’ve signed a load of excrement on long deals”, which just isn’t true when you actually look at it.

Question marks over a couple on the list, for sure, but by and large it’s a decent starting point going into the summer. Gives you scope to bring in 10/11 signings in the summer which most of which would need to be better than what we have already. If we bring in some quality in addition to this list, we’ve seen players many times before improve by just having better players around them.

It’s always going to be evolution rather than revolution and as
Much as some may want us to gut the whole squad, that’s never possible. Footballs a squad game and we will
Need a few that are here already to do a job with that in mind next season.

If I could change that list I’d possibly move on Mullarkey, Hunt and Pyke and keep Glennon (a hill I’m always going to be prepared to die on), Clifton and possibly Gav - just for abit of experience in the squad.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 55
RonMariner
April 14, 2024, 2:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,786
Gold Stars: 226
Don’t know what has happened to Gav. He could have had another four goals recently but his finishing has fallen off a cliff.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
Heisenberg
April 14, 2024, 3:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,097
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Mikey_345

I’m sure Danny Rose was on the original… 😉

One thing I’ve heard a lot of this season is “we’ve signed a load of excrement on long deals”, which just isn’t true when you actually look at it.

Question marks over a couple on the list, for sure, but by and large it’s a decent starting point going into the summer. Gives you scope to bring in 10/11 signings in the summer which most of which would need to be better than what we have already. If we bring in some quality in addition to this list, we’ve seen players many times before improve by just having better players around them.

It’s always going to be evolution rather than revolution and as
Much as some may want us to gut the whole squad, that’s never possible. Footballs a squad game and we will
Need a few that are here already to do a job with that in mind next season.

If I could change that list I’d possibly move on Mullarkey, Hunt and Pyke and keep Glennon (a hill I’m always going to be prepared to die on), Clifton and possibly Gav - just for abit of experience in the squad.

The BBC had our formation as 3-4-1-2 yesterday. Not sure if that’s accurate, but I’ve always wanted us to play that way. If DA were to use that formation for the last 3 games, I’d definitely be trying Glennon out there on the left of the 4 to see how it goes. I still see Vernam as someone who could play that No.10 role.

Mind you, I think DA has made his mind up about quite a few players, Glennon being one of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Squad for next season

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.