13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Mappers
April 13, 2024, 7:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,400
Gold Stars: 119
So now the that  it's all but over barring Sutton becoming Real Madrid and us reverting to Doncaster mode .

It's been a really bad season but I wouldn't say a disaster , even if one off results sometimes made it feel that way . 10 wins from 43 isn't how I thought it would pan out at all though  . I thought we would have a really good season .

So now we have 4 months to reset, rebuild and hopefully lessons have been learnt in all areas , the same season can't happen again on a loop like it did in the pre Stockwood & Pettit era and I'm confident it won't.

Hopefully Artell get's more right than he get's wrong and he is the man for us .

So now we can look forward to next season and some old new opponents - Bromley , Solihull ,Burton and Chesterfield are all possibilities or already done - local games will be the same barring Doncaster going right through and Mansfield effectively being replaced by Chesterfield . Halifax might make it up which would be interesting .

It should be a much more balanced league 2 in terms of resource with Wrexham,Mansfield and Stockport gone -- adding MK Dons in the play-offs would be a bonus . FGR & Colchester going down  would be ideal that's why I hope we beat them Tuesday .

The season isn't quite over but I'm looking forward to the next one already

We can dream Grimsby Town league 2 champions 24/25 for a few months

I will just be happy if we are not in another mess

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
It Bites
April 13, 2024, 7:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,256
Gold Stars: 266
It’s hard to see our playing budget improving so we’re going to have to be very shrewd. The Jan window proved we can attract quality players on a tight budget so we must continue in that vain with recruitment. Whether  it was Hursts or the recruitment guys fault we have now shown we can get decent players for this level .
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 127
Limerick Mariner
April 13, 2024, 7:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,719
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from It Bites
It’s hard to see our playing budget improving so we’re going to have to be very shrewd. The Jan window proved we can attract quality players on a tight budget so we must continue in that vain with recruitment. Whether  it was Hursts or the recruitment guys fault we have now shown we can get decent players for this level .

One thing we know for certain - it wasn’t the owners interfering like in 2016. I’m assuming it was all PHs call. It wasn’t all bad, but two big mistakes which we’ve debated enough, and then a series of misjudgements about how certain players would progress (they didn’t - Harry,  Glennon) and how long the legs of others would keep going effectively (they didn’t - Luke and Gav). Eisa largely disappointed other than a few great strikes and we were unlucky with the CV injury.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 127
louth_in_the_south
April 13, 2024, 7:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,705
Gold Stars: 96
Not sounding like I’m lacking ambition but I’d be happy with 12th next season. Safe by beginning of March . Just a stress free season would be lovely.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 127
Limerick Mariner
April 13, 2024, 8:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,719
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Not sounding like I’m lacking ambition but I’d be happy with 12th next season. Safe by beginning of March . Just a stress free season would be lovely.

If we finish 10th DA will tell his grandkids about it…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 127
sonofmadeleymariner
April 13, 2024, 8:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

This is what I said as I left the ground. A nice boring season, none of this getting my hopes up, or making me worry.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 127
TownSNAFU5
April 13, 2024, 8:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Don’t forget that Notts County in 14th place can still get promoted.  We need then next season and so we can maybe score 5 against them again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 127
Hagrid
April 13, 2024, 8:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,486
Gold Stars: 536
I’d say its been a disaster, out of the Trophy 1st round, Carabao Cup 1st Round, FA Cup 2nd round after a replay.

2 of the heaviest defeats in club history, and only a 2nd away win of the season coming with 3 games to go

Its been a horror show of a season, and we must, must learn big lessons from this
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 127
It Bites
April 13, 2024, 8:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid
I’d say its been a disaster, out of the Trophy 1st round, Carabao Cup 1st Round, FA Cup 2nd round after a replay.

2 of the heaviest defeats in club history, and only a 2nd away win of the season coming with 3 games to go

Its been a horror show of a season, and we must, must learn big lessons from this

When you list it like that you’re right , it’s been absolutely Fentyesk crap
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 127
GollyGTFC
April 13, 2024, 8:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,037
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Hagrid

Spot on. The only comfort from this season is we weren’t relegated. Other than that it’s been a disaster.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 127
StacyColdicotts_hairline
April 13, 2024, 8:31pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Approval: +211
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Hagrid

Absolutely and only when this is recognised and understood can we put things right for next season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 127
grimps
April 13, 2024, 8:39pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
How many times have we said ‘ never again ‘ ?
God I hope we learn this time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 127
HertsGTFC
April 13, 2024, 8:46pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Hagrid

100% this.

I’ve never been back & forth about a Town manager like I have Artell but I think he’ll take us forward & I suspect playing out might not be our only way of playing.

I’d be more than happy hovering around mid table next season.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 127
bawarmy
April 13, 2024, 8:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,020
Gold Stars: 33
Have to say big Dave bought the players in to sort it in the last window. He has done well in that respect. We need him to put more of his own stamp on the team in the summer.
I will start sleeping better if we get one more point or Sutton lose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 127
RonMariner
April 13, 2024, 9:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,786
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Hagrid

Indeed. That is the reality.

The only comfort is that our form in the last 12 games has been pretty good. If we start next season the way we seem to be finishing this, then we will not be in a relegation scrap. But we certainly need several new players in key positions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 127
MuddyWaters
April 13, 2024, 9:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Disaster? No, but what a fking mess. A proper D minus season. There have been lots of issues and, hopefully, the lessons will be learned. But this has been a hard watch.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 127
Andy
April 13, 2024, 9:09pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +143
Gold Stars: 1
I would settle for a 'boring' next season but my biggest hope is we can play some decent football because the dross we've been served up in the last couple of years - especially at home - is soul destroying.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 127
moosey_club
April 13, 2024, 9:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,288
Quoted from grimps
How many times have we said ‘ never again ‘ ?
God I hope we learn this time

It has a touch of the Sean Connery's about it

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 127
sydney
April 13, 2024, 10:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
It’s Been a Horrible season
Not even comparing it to the previous season, which was a one off
Still feel conversations should be taking place about manager
And a squad of players with big hearts
Let’s Give the best fans in the country something to really cheer
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 127
Theimperialcoroner
April 13, 2024, 10:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,246
Gold Stars: 102
The current squad have a core that could be built into something very decent. You add another 4 or 5 quality players to what we have and you are top end. Gotta find these players though and that’s going to be tough.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 127
jamesgtfc
April 13, 2024, 10:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,038
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Hagrid

I think it's been more of a crisis than a disaster. Relegation would have been disastrous, but we must use this season as a lesson (providing we do get over the line as we should) and ensure that we get back on track next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 127
bawarmy
April 13, 2024, 10:22pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,020
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
The current squad have a core that could be built into something very decent. You add another 4 or 5 quality players to what we have and you are top end. Gotta find these players though and that’s going to be tough.

I do think the main core players we have are DA’s and not Paul Hursts so if we let David recruit like he did in January who knows. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 127
mariner91
April 13, 2024, 10:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Tharme, Thompson, Rose and Vernam is a strong core and a bit of quality that gives a very strong base to work from. A top keeper, another quality centre back and at least one quality centre mid next to Thompson and we won't be in this mess again next season.

I'm hopeful that Artell can pull some rabbits out of a hat but his January signings were promising. It's pretty rare that we sign players midseason that make such an impact, they're usually various shades of crap but Tharme and particularly Thompson have been instrumental in our survival. I also wouldn't be overly surprised if the owners privately are considering putting a bit more in to the budget to maintain interest. It's a noble aim to get the club to be self sufficient and have the infrastructure that we should do as a 21st century FL club but if they let on the pitch matters flounder like Fenty was happy to do then interest will wane and forward momentum will stall. But we will see, it will be an interesting summer for sure and I don't think Artell's recruitment will be anywhere near as bad as Hurst's was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 127
HertsGTFC
April 13, 2024, 10:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Tharme, Thompson, Rose and Vernam is a strong core and a bit of quality that gives a very strong base to work from. A top keeper, another quality centre back and at least one quality centre mid next to Thompson and we won't be in this mess again next season.

I'm hopeful that Artell can pull some rabbits out of a hat but his January signings were promising. It's pretty rare that we sign players midseason that make such an impact, they're usually various shades of crap but Tharme and particularly Thompson have been instrumental in our survival. I also wouldn't be overly surprised if the owners privately are considering putting a bit more in to the budget to maintain interest. It's a noble aim to get the club to be self sufficient and have the infrastructure that we should do as a 21st century FL club but if the let on the pitch matters flounder like Fenty was happy to do then interest will wane and forward momentum will stall. But we will see, it will be an interesting summer for sure and I don't think Artell's recruitment will be anywhere near as bad as Hurst's was.

I think you’re right. I think we also need decent full backs on both sides.

This might sound bomkers but I wouldn’t be surprised if Artell doesn’t try & get Obikwu back on another season king, he seems to really rate him.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 127
Maringer
April 13, 2024, 10:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,629
Gold Stars: 185
I'd love to see us end a League season with a positive goal difference. Is that too much to hope for?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 127
mariner91
April 13, 2024, 11:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think you’re right. I think we also need decent full backs on both sides.

This might sound bomkers but I wouldn’t be surprised if Artell doesn’t try & get Obikwu back on another season king, he seems to really rate him.

We need improvements at full back definitely. But the priority for quality has to be our spine which until Tharme and Thompson shored things up was incredibly weak. If you control the middle of the pitch, it's very difficult for the other team to beat you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 127
LH
April 13, 2024, 11:19pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,557
Gold Stars: 174
It’s been absolute toilet this season and I’m glad it’s all but done. Not sure DA is the man to take us forward after being subjected to his favoured model early this yeat but happy to be proven wrong. I think the owners have been on to a loser since day one with the state the club and ground were left in. Just be more comfortable next season is my aim.  

Going to swerve football after the Swindon game until I’m at SJP for England vs Bosnia pre-Euros and I can see my interest in that tournament being fairly truncated too.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 127
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
April 14, 2024, 12:02am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
Just looking at the top goalscorers in the National League, and i see Manny D has scored 21 for Hartlepool, who are only going to finish mid-table. He is joint 4th highest scorer this season so far.

Not bad really

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 127
RichMariner
April 14, 2024, 12:33am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,147
Gold Stars: 209
What plays on my mind is how we learnt no lessons going from the 08/09 season — in which we scraped survival in a similarly shocking season — and actually got worse in 09/10.

We thought that, once we got through to the summer, Newell would sign his players, get the squad settled, then we'd kick on. Pretty sure we gave some teams a hammering in pre-season!

And then what followed was an unmitigated disaster.

Just when we thought it couldn't get much worse, it got worse. Relegated out of the league, and six years in non-league with some chastening defeats at places like Chasetown and Braintree.

What we did back then was give a guy who should never have been in charge of us a decent budget to spaff on players that fitted his idea of a 'culture', and it backfired spectacularly.

Obviously, yhe culture 1878 are trying to foster now is the complete opposite to Newell's, but even so, the lesson we didn't heed from back then was that Newell had a good chunk of the season to move us away from danger and he didn't. We struggled right to the end.

It's been a similar story with Artell. He's had two thirds of the season to help kick us on and despite practically securing safety today we're no better than where we were when Hurst got the boot.

Admittedly, there are some signs of improvement. January recruitment is starting to look shrewd. But then we thought the same about Baz Conlon and Peter Sweeney, who both came in and looked great.

Then they signed permanently and tossed it off.

I'm right behind Artell and I want this to work out. A great win at Crewe doesn't immediately banish all the issues we've been having this season, but there have been some worrying defeats under his tenure — record breaking ones, at BP too — and we looked in some serious bother not very long ago.

Of course, he'll get the chance to build a squad in the summer. I just think it'll need careful management from those above him to make sure we're being pragmatic in how we invest.

Because we've been here many times before: manager buys players to play a certain style or system; season starts slowly, then manager has to change system (and therefore personnel) to force a change of luck, it gets messy, we struggle for the entire campaign, manager gets the sack, new one comes in, cycle continues.

Really hope Artell is the man that breaks this annoyingly recurring chain.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 28 - 127
forza ivano
April 14, 2024, 12:59am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,261
last 12 games , since he was persuaded' to change formation - won 4, drawn 5, lost 3 = 17 points ; That's on the cusp of the play offs form

I haven't been convinced by him, but from those stats he definitely deserves to be in charge next season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 127
SheepGTFC
April 14, 2024, 2:36am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 6
negative thread. be positive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 127
GrimRob
April 14, 2024, 6:44am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
We've had 8 home wins, 1 more than 7 last season. That papers over the cracks though as there were some big defeats. All season we were much better in the first half than the second. 5 subs has been a game changer (every pun intended) and we need a better bench and better tactics for managing the substitutions. Probably need to be fitter too. Too many players injured. Biggest problem is as ever going to be recruitment. We'll probably be one of the relegation favourites next season. Hard to get out of the cycle. Always possible though if signings click and everyone stays fit.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 127
Mappers
April 14, 2024, 7:10am
Champagne Drinker
Tweet 1779056627695456294 will appear here...

An interesting breakdown of how much money is being thrown around even at league 2 level .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 127
GollyGTFC
April 14, 2024, 7:13am

Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,037
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from bawarmy
Have to say big Dave bought the players in to sort it in the last window. He has done well in that respect. We need him to put more of his own stamp on the team in the summer.
I will start sleeping better if we get one more point or Sutton lose.

How many times…

David Artell is Head Coach. He has a limited role in recruitment.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 127
GrimPol
April 14, 2024, 7:37am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -772
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from GrimRob
We've had 8 home wins, 1 more than 7 last season. That papers over the cracks though as there were some big defeats. All season we were much better in the first half than the second. 5 subs has been a game changer (every pun intended) and we need a better bench and better tactics for managing the substitutions. Probably need to be fitter too. Too many players injured. Biggest problem is as ever going to be recruitment. We'll probably be one of the relegation favourites next season. Hard to get out of the cycle. Always possible though if signings click and everyone stays fit.

Add to that that we have led during games, only to be thwarted and overturned by the final whistle, and "lost" 32 points that way. Add some of those points to our 46 today and it could be playoffs area.
Sam Allardyce always said that he builds from the back. He made his money by being parachuted in and saving lost causes, so he knew a thing or loads.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 127
toontown
April 14, 2024, 8:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mappers

An interesting breakdown of how much money is being thrown around even at league 2 level .

Just shows that Colchester going down rather than Sutton should theoretically help our cause next season given how much Colchester spend. On the other hand Colchester do seem to be generally bad at spending that money. How have they built up 38 million in debt to be in the position they are now!?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 127
lew chaterleys lover
April 14, 2024, 8:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GollyGTFC

How many times…

I for one think that is a nonsense. The recruitment guy is there to help identify possible targets and do the legwork in making signings possible by working with agents etc. but it is the responsibility of the manager or head coach in this case to give the go ahead on players he himself knows, or likes the look of if they have been recommended.

Private Message
Reply: 36 - 127
Madeleymariner
April 14, 2024, 8:30am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Im sure in one of his recent interviews he said he and Shaun had been out looking at a few players so I'm pretty sure he still has control of who we sign.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 127
Roast Em Bobby
April 14, 2024, 8:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from GollyGTFC

How many times…

DA said in the Dn35 podcast recently that he has the final say on players coming in/out - not sure I'd call that a limited role.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 127
Meza
April 14, 2024, 8:37am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
I wonder if DA is still interested in Charlie Kirk, he played for them yesterday.  Wasn't we in for him only for Crewe to come in for him at the last minute.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 127
RonMariner
April 14, 2024, 8:39am

Special Brew Drinker
What on Earth is going on at Colchester? This season they brought in the Cowleys who won’t have been cheap, and they are still hovering over the drop zone. Despite the £38 million accumulated losses they still have a pretty poor team that one assumes will be total overhauled in the summer at yet more cost.

One has to ask what the point is?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 127
Alan Buckley
April 14, 2024, 8:40am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.46
Approval: -258
Gold Stars: 5
I think it’s fair to say that bother Rodgers and mullarkey aren’t as bad as they looked/seemed during that awful patch so I think they both merit keeping but bringing in a replacement for Maher.
I’d try to keep Hume if we’re intending on playing wingbacks next season but feel we could do better if it’s a left back we are looking at.
An experienced keeper is almost the most important position we need to get right next season.
More technical ability in midfield is an absolute must and in my opinion ruthless decisions need to be made on Clifton and Gav if we are going to improve.
I actually don’t mind Artell and would like to see what he could do with a summer transfer window with his own players but what I’ve been told is it’s either rose or artell and very unlikely to be both I know which one I’d rather see stay.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 127
toontown
April 14, 2024, 8:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Alan Buckley
I think it’s fair to say that bother Rodgers and mullarkey aren’t as bad as they looked/seemed during that awful patch so I think they both merit keeping but bringing in a replacement for Maher.
I’d try to keep Hume if we’re intending on playing wingbacks next season but feel we could do better if it’s a left back we are looking at.
An experienced keeper is almost the most important position we need to get right next season.
More technical ability in midfield is an absolute must and in my opinion ruthless decisions need to be made on Clifton and Gav if we are going to improve.
I actually don’t mind Artell and would like to see what he could do with a summer transfer window with his own players but what I’ve been told is it’s either rose or artell and very unlikely to be both I know which one I’d rather see stay.

But Artell said rose had said we are so much better at playing out from the back now boss lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 127
Alan Buckley
April 14, 2024, 8:52am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.46
Approval: -258
Quoted from toontown

But Artell said rose had said we are so much better at playing out from the back now boss lol

😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 127
grimps
April 14, 2024, 8:58am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Mappers

Pardon my ignorance , is retained earnings meaning debt ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 127
Mappers
April 14, 2024, 9:29am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from grimps

Yes

Although a lot of it is directors loans .

Colchester for example i know it's debt owing to the owners business and their fans think it's all well and good ; it is providing his business continues to do relatively well but if it has a bad year they would be in a big mess you would have thought .

It's certainly better to carry a small debt rather than the large one's we see from other clubs - we are in a great position off the pitch which will be made even stronger when it's written off .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 127
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 14, 2024, 10:09am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from Alan Buckley
I
but what I’ve been told is it’s either rose or artell and very unlikely to be both I know which one I’d rather see stay.

Where has this come from? First I’ve heard of it.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 127
Swansea_Mariner
April 14, 2024, 10:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
What's the deal with Doncaster as that looks bleak for them.

On the flipside Steve Evans has done an astonishing job at Stevenage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 127
DB
April 14, 2024, 10:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
JS & AP talked of a steep learning curve when they took over.
1st Season Promoted.
2nd Season mid table & FA Cup run.
3rd Season relegation struggle.

Hopefully, by now they have learnt and will now know a bit more about running a football club.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 127
Zmariner
April 14, 2024, 10:22am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Approval: +2,131
Quoted from grimps

It is accumulated profits/losses since the company was formed
Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 127
AndyGTFC
April 14, 2024, 10:28am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Hopefully we won't be but I wouldn't bet on it unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 127
buckstown
April 14, 2024, 10:34am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,186
Gold Stars: 79
Hagrid has nailed it for me. As impressive as the performance was yesterday it shouldn't paper over the cracks of what's been an awful season.
After last seasons cup exploits we all pretty much expected some end of season excitement this year, but not at this end of the table. The recruitment was done early and looked impressive despite the lack of a star striker, ticket sales stood up well and optimism was high. But it's been a complete flop and goodness knows what the outcome might have ben if we hadn't reverted to a back five after the famous team meeting.
A new CEO is arriving soon and I'm guessing there'll be a big change in the playing staff, but most importantly I hope the owners know what went wrong this season. I'm sure they do by the way!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 127
HerveJosse
April 14, 2024, 10:49am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 144
What me must not do now is persuade ourselves that because we have had mid table  form since the Doncaster game that this squad needs anything other then a massive overall with only 4 or 5 good enough to keep.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 127
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 14, 2024, 10:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,906
Gold Stars: 179
A season that flattered to deceive. Players brought in last summer didn’t quite kick on as hoped, with the exception of Danny rose. And, surprisingly for me, I think mullarkey and Rodgers have actually improved since DA got here, although maybe it was a low bar being set from mid September.

DA has got some much needed ability with his recruitment in January but there’s a definite need to get rid of some that have underperformed that’s for sure.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 127
Roast Em Bobby
April 14, 2024, 10:57am
Fine Wine Drinker
I'm just hoping that Artell doesn't now revert back to trying to do what he tried when he first came .

With the likely budget and players we are likely to be able to attract, trying to play like the L2 Man City is never going to work. I hope he's learnt from this season to mix some pragmatism into his ideology.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 127
MuddyWaters
April 14, 2024, 11:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
I'm just hoping that Artell doesn't now revert back to trying to do what he tried when he first came .

With the likely budget and players we are likely to be able to attract, trying to play like the L2 Man City is never going to work. I hope he's learnt from this season to mix some pragmatism into his ideology.

I’m just hoping that we actually do sign some players capable of playing better football than that we’ve endured for many years.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 127
GrimRob
April 14, 2024, 12:13pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m just hoping that we actually do sign some players capable of playing better football than that we’ve endured for many years.

Need players who will get us more points. Not necessarily the same thing.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 56 - 127
pontoonlew
April 14, 2024, 12:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,088
Gold Stars: 178

I think you’re going to be extremely disappointed then because we’ll no doubt see a shift from percentage football and scrapping for wins at all costs to something more proactive. It was Hursts approach and signing players based on them being nice hard working lads that got us into this mess.

Artell was brought in to implement an indentity throughout the whole club and that’s exactly what I expect him to do. Every single good side we’ve played this season played good football.

Artell has already proved he can bring in good footballers to the club, Hurst just convinced everyone for years it wasn’t possible and left Artell to pick up the pieces (and get absolutely hammered whilst trying to get it right).

I’m looking forward to seeing what comes of the summer and how we start to transition into a decent side, there’s a long way to go but I’m still convinced Artell is going to prove so many people wrong next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 127
HertsGTFC
April 14, 2024, 12:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

I think you’re going to be extremely disappointed then because we’ll no doubt see a shift from percentage football and scrapping for wins at all costs to something more proactive. It was Hursts approach and signing players based on them being nice hard working lads that got us into this mess.

Artell was brought in to implement an indentity throughout the whole club and that’s exactly what I expect him to do. Every single good side we’ve played this season played good football.

Artell has already proved he can bring in good footballers to the club, Hurst just convinced everyone for years it wasn’t possible and left Artell to pick up the pieces (and get absolutely hammered whilst trying to get it right).

I’m looking forward to seeing what comes of the summer and how we start to transition into a decent side, there’s a long way to go but I’m still convinced Artell is going to prove so many people wrong next season.

Maybe the learning has been evolution & not revolution?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 127
LocalLadGTFC
April 14, 2024, 1:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Approval: +4,311
Quoted from pontoonlew

I don't think you're wrong, but I think we'll see an evolution of the way we setup right now. He'd be foolish not to, if we could get it right in possession next season then we'd be very difficult to play against. It'll be a much weaker L2 next year based on the teams going up and coming down giving us a great opportunity to capatalise.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 59 - 127
Roast Em Bobby
April 14, 2024, 1:56pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
Every single good side we’ve played this season played good football.

I'll be over the moon if we can play in the style of Stockport, Wrexham or Mansfield because they all play good pragmatic football. None of these teams play the tiki-taka/possesion at all costs style that Artell was trying to do before the big showdown, and that was the point I was trying to make.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 127
CSLM
April 15, 2024, 12:29am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12

I'll be over the moon if we can play in the style of Stockport, Wrexham or Mansfield because they all play good pragmatic football. None of these teams play the tiki-taka/possesion at all costs style that Artell was trying to do before the big showdown, and that was the point I was trying to make.

Really not sure about that. Probably could put a decent point across for Wrexham but the other two have played some brilliant football, as have Wrexham at times. The quality of the players in those teams is night and day compared to the majority of ours, as I'd imagine the wage bill will be.
Saying that there are plenty of far less attractive teams with budgets closer to ours who play some decent stuff. Hopefully Artell can get us going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 127
HertsGTFC
April 15, 2024, 6:47am

Barley Wine Drinker

Probably worth managing expectations.

I’ll be quite happy to watch Town players that control & pass the ball, think about who their crosses are meant for & don’t take pot shots from outside of the box when they have open space in front of them to get closer to the target.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 127
Meza
April 15, 2024, 7:35am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Didn't the board say that PH changed his tactics last minute right up to the first game.  I wonder why he did this.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 127
1mickylyons
April 15, 2024, 7:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,389
Gold Stars: 56
I want and expect our players to be able to do the basics much better collectively. Set piece delivery needs to improve a rejuvenated Hunt may answer that? I never saw this season coming and despite my doubts on DA he deserves the chance to take us on.Good luck Dave UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 127
MuddyWaters
April 15, 2024, 7:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I want and expect our players to be able to do the basics much better collectively. Set piece delivery needs to improve a rejuvenated Hunt may answer that? I never saw this season coming and despite my doubts on DA he deserves the chance to take us on.Good luck Dave UTM

Exactly this. Good luck to DA. It’s fine to aspire to a better style of play but you’re relying on having the players to do it. At this moment, we’re a long way away.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 127
Heisenberg
April 15, 2024, 8:12am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Approval: +5,097
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I expected us to struggle to better an 11th place finish. No way did I see Hurst being sacked, but he couldn’t replace McAtee and Smith like-for-like, and there was no way at all we could compete with the monied clubs. I think most on here pretty much had Stockport and Wrexham to go up, and Mansfield were definitely mentioned by most too.

Personally I felt we’d be comfortably safe, but also mid-table, maybe 14th-or-so. Underwhelming, not perilous.

I do think, however, next season is an opportunity to do well if recruitment is good. Let’s be honest, most of us didn’t have a clue who most of Hurst’s signings were. Names like Pyke and Rodgers were a complete unknown to us, and people just assumed they must be good, which was naive. I’d like to think that DA can attract some players we KNOW are good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 127
Roast Em Bobby
April 15, 2024, 8:37am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from CSLM

Really not sure about that. Probably could put a decent point across for Wrexham but the other two have played some brilliant football, as have Wrexham at times. The quality of the players in those teams is night and day compared to the majority of ours, as I'd imagine the wage bill will be.
Saying that there are plenty of far less attractive teams with budgets closer to ours who play some decent stuff. Hopefully Artell can get us going.

The point I was trying to make (though obviously not very well) is that there is a world of difference between the way MK Dons play in-comparison to Stockport, Wrexham or Mansfield. All I'm saying is that I hope DA doesn't try to go down the MK Dons route because I don't think we can afford/attract the players required for that style and you have to be very very good at it in order to achieve success in this league. Yes, of course we all want players who can pass and control the ball better, but personally I hope DA is prepared to mix it up a bit and ensure that we have a fair bit of steel and athleticism as well because that is pretty much essential in L2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 127
forza ivano
April 15, 2024, 9:06am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,261
Think you make a good point Roast Em, dont care who he signs, if he tries to revert back to his ideals we will be inexactly the same position, coz the players just wont be good enough or intelligent enough to do it.
I pray that he is humble enough to realise that the approach he had to be persuaded to take at least gives him the base to work from.its obviously effective ( just off play off form, Golly!) The players have improved under it, and they seem a lot more comfortable and confident.  
I do believe that if he sticks with this system ( with tweaks) hes not going to need quite the overhaul we all think.
For a start just replacing the inconsistent, misfiring, ageing Gav with a fully fit Ainley ( a man who has played 200 games at the top end of div 2 and above would improve us immensely). A really good commanding , experienced keeper ( say the ex orient keeper who is at Burnley n we were rumoured to be interested in) would do summat sumilar
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 127
rancido
April 15, 2024, 9:17am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617

The point I was trying to make (though obviously not very well) is that there is a world of difference between the way MK Dons play in-comparison to Stockport, Wrexham or Mansfield. All I'm saying is that I hope DA doesn't try to go down the MK Dons route because I don't think we can afford/attract the players required for that style and you have to be very very good at it in order to achieve success in this league. Yes, of course we all want players who can pass and control the ball better, but personally I hope DA is prepared to mix it up a bit and ensure that we have a fair bit of steel and athleticism as well because that is pretty much essential in L2

Don't forget that DA is on a learning curve. His only previous club, Crewe, had a defined way of playing that was coached at all their levels. It was probably the only style  that DA knew and he could be forgiven in believing that we had the players capable of executing that same style. Once it became apparent that we didn't have that coaching structure which IMO led to the meeting post the Doncaster debacle, then a different approach was adopted. He will have learnt from this. His preferred approach is playing out from the back but until he has the players and coaching structure within the club then I think he will adopt a more practical approach. The whole process should be an evolution as opposed to a revolution incorporating more of a " mix and match" style. I'm sure the transfer window will demonstrate how he will proceed in our development and I'm also convinced that he  will have learnt from the last couple of months where he went wrong.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 127
Poojah
April 15, 2024, 9:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,663
Gold Stars: 1,508
I’m relatively relaxed about DA as things stand. There have been 3 distinct chunks to his time here so far; the first 6 league games (where things were generally ok), the next 6 (which were nothing short of abject), and the last 11 (which have been pretty good, all things considered). Here’s how they stack up:

First 6 - W2 D2 L2 - 1.33 PPG
Next 6 - W0 D2 L4 - 0.33 PPG
Last 11 - W4 D4 L3 - 1.45 PPG

Form over his first 6 is roughly mid-table, the next 6 was of course relegation form (and then some), while our form over the last 11 gets you close to the play-offs over 46 games.

Don’t get me wrong, I wanted Artell gone after the Donny game. We had been absolutely atrocious for weeks and I didn’t see the turnaround coming. But credit where it’s due, he’s recognised where it was going wrong (namely then predictably playing out from the back and a moronically executed press) and done something about it.

He’s also shown a certain amount of resilience to get the players and fans back onside. The players deserve their own credit for the turnaround, but it wouldn’t have happened under a manager they didn’t want to play for.

His challenge now is a different one. Not quite a blank canvas, but as close as you’re likely to get in football, and a summer to try and implement some more of his ideas more successfully.

Who knows where things go from here? I’ve given up attempting to guess. But I do think that whilst we’ve (hopefully) seen the worst of David Artell this season, I am hopeful we have yet to see his best work. For now, I’m looking forward to a few football free weekends ahead of the Euros. This season has been an exhausting one.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 127
1mickylyons
April 15, 2024, 12:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
Think you make a good point Roast Em, dont care who he signs, if he tries to revert back to his ideals we will be inexactly the same position, coz the players just wont be good enough or intelligent enough to do it.
I pray that he is humble enough to realise that the approach he had to be persuaded to take at least gives him the base to work from.its obviously effective ( just off play off form, Golly!) The players have improved under it, and they seem a lot more comfortable and confident.  
I do believe that if he sticks with this system ( with tweaks) hes not going to need quite the overhaul we all think.
For a start just replacing the inconsistent, misfiring, ageing Gav with a fully fit Ainley ( a man who has played 200 games at the top end of div 2 and above would improve us immensely). A really good commanding , experienced keeper ( say the ex orient keeper who is at Burnley n we were rumoured to be interested in) would do summat sumilar

It's all about levels though and if you get players in who do the basics well and decide to go pass and move it should work fine.DA inherited players who don't do the basics well.In over 40 years watching Town I've never seen such poor passing and control collectively? Vernam on Saturday brought a ball down whilst running full pelt I was gobsmacked but in Buckley era it was standard. Slade went for the fast physical types I didn't like what I saw but it was effective. DA after a pre season and a long transfer window will start assembling what he wants and he does have a reasonable base to build from. I'm optimistic about next Season but I want a huge midfield rebuild in my eyes that's the key .Midfield protects the defence and links to the attack and should create chances our attack and defence have been short changed this season. Added to that the midfield have hardly chipped in with goals Eisa apart.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 127
TAGG
April 15, 2024, 1:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
I would rather see a 'thank you very much for your hard work in the time you have been here but your not the man to take us in to next season'

If DA is here next season I would support him but I would like a new manager for next season.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 127
Poojah
April 15, 2024, 1:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from TAGG
I would rather see a 'thank you very much for your hard work in the time you have been here but your not the man to take us in to next season'

If DA is here next season I would support him but I would like a new manager for next season.

If he wasn’t sacked after the Donny game, there’s no way he’s going to be sacked between now and the start of the season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 127
TAGG
April 15, 2024, 1:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Poojah

If he wasn’t sacked after the Donny game, there’s no way he’s going to be sacked between now and the start of the season.

Yes I know.
It was just a wish

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 127
Heisenberg
April 15, 2024, 2:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Approval: +5,097
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from TAGG

It’s all about opinions, but I think that’s mad. He’ll be good for us, he needs the whole of next season and I think the majority will be able to see that he’s a positive appointment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 127
Poojah
April 15, 2024, 2:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

Yes I know.
It was just a wish

For what it’s worth, despite not being particularly keen on him as a candidate in the outset, and less so following our series of drubbing incidents, I think Artell deserves to be given a crack at next season.

We saw some initial improvements in our performances and results when he first came in, and whilst that undoubtedly all went to shít shortly after, he’s had both the humility and presence of mind to make some arguably difficult decisions and do something about it, even if the brand of football has been a little more “pragmatic” than first advertised.

He’s also had some awful tragedies, both for the club and himself personally, to contend with this side of the New Year. The death of young Cameron Walsh and his dad, the loss of Peter Handyside at the age of 49, and the death of his own farther in the past couple of weeks. We’ve seen the human side of him, and I think he’s come across very well in that respect.

I’ve no idea what next season holds in store for us, be it good, bad or ugly as fúck, but I have no problem with DA being in the dugout for game #1. I genuinely couldn’t imagine having written that just a few weeks ago, and that in itself tells its own story.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 127
LocalLadGTFC
April 15, 2024, 2:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

Losing 2 in 12 against teams in 3rd and 5th isn't good enough? I've warmed to DA massively, think we've seen how much the bloke cares for the club already. That spell we went through was nothing short of disasturous but the bloke has been through more at the club off the field than most people will go through in there whole career... He came with a style and a philosophy and probably over estimated the ability of the squad but showed trust in them to get them out of it. Doncaster happened and we've not looked back since despite near enough every single fan writing us off, even in the midst of that run. You could go back to after the Barrow game and people still think we was going down.. furthermore to add to that, every single player he signed in Jan has improved us. Tharme and Thompson are two mainstays in the side, Thompson looks like the midfielder we've been crying out for years and Tharme looks like a re-incarnation of Luke Waterfall. Obikwu splits opinion but has scored some big goals and provided big moments for us. Smith has come back into the side recently and is getting better with every game that goes by, Hume looked like a solid acquisition but has gone off the boil recently. Harry Wood is the only one that hasn't really got going but still scored a very good equaliser against County and has shown glimpses of ability. Pair that with the improvement on players that many of us wrote off, Mullarkey has moved ten yards inside and looks like a completely new player, we all knew going forward he was okay but defensively he was so suspect and now he looks a very very good defender for the level. Next season has to improve but there's much more to be positive about than there is potential negatives.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 77 - 127
RonMariner
April 15, 2024, 6:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
It’s easy to underestimate just how difficult it is to turn around a team on a downward spiral mid season. Hurst couldn’t do it in 2021.

As others have said, he has brought in some very good players that we can build a team around. And let’s not forget that the recent run of games post Doncaster includes victories against teams currently in 4th and 5th, and away points against three teams in the top ten at the time. That is pretty good going.

So it’s been quite a turnaround. It will be interesting to see how it goes over the summer but I think current indications are positive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 127
grimsby pete
April 15, 2024, 10:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,823
Gold Stars: 222
As long as we stay up which is nearly certain now.

I will be more than happy to finish10th --12th  winning more games than we lose and scoring more goals than we concede.

A few high scoring wins at home  for a change would be nice as well.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 127
MuddyWaters
April 16, 2024, 6:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
He was in trouble after the Donny game, no doubt about it, but he had the balls to do something about it. Out of desperation or self preservation? Who cares?

I think he tried to get stuff out of some of our players that wasn’t possible and he had to find a way around it and he has. Given a summer to do what he needs to do is the least he deserves and let’s hope the board back him.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 127
HertsGTFC
April 16, 2024, 6:47am

Barley Wine Drinker
Regardless of how David Artell wants to play & who’s in the squad next season the home form must improve, if that happens we’ll have a much better season.

On so many levels this season has been a sobering education for everyone involved one that has no doubt provided some valuable learnings for 1878 as well as the manager.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 127
It Bites
April 16, 2024, 7:15am
Champagne Drinker
I think it’s widely excepted that under Fenty we kept making the same mistakes again and again in the EFL ?
However, by the looks of this season and the home performances last season it seems that Fentys biggest fck up was not maintaining the ground properly and leaving it in such a state that no matter how many fans squeeze in the playing budget will be much the same . That’s the legacy fenty has left us with . Be prepared for more bumpy rides for seasons to come .
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 127
MuddyWaters
April 16, 2024, 7:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from It Bites
I think it’s widely excepted that under Fenty we kept making the same mistakes again and again in the EFL ?
However, by the looks of this season and the home performances last season it seems that Fentys biggest fck up was not maintaining the ground properly and leaving it in such a state that no matter how many fans squeeze in the playing budget will be much the same . That’s the legacy fenty has left us with . Be prepared for more bumpy rides for seasons to come .

I was as far from being Fenty’s biggest fan as was possible and a lot of what he did was unforgivable but he at least understood the need for a new stadium. BP isn’t fit for purpose and hasn’t been for a very long time.
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 127
HertsGTFC
April 16, 2024, 8:34am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I was as far from being Fenty’s biggest fan as was possible and a lot of what he did was unforgivable but he at least understood the need for a new stadium. BP isn’t fit for purpose and hasn’t been for a very long time.

I think that’s a fair assessment why would you spend money on decorating your house if it’s falling down?

You wouldn’t but you’d spend money to stop it falling down especially if you where asking people to pay to visit, which is what appears hasn’t happened.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 127
mariner91
April 16, 2024, 8:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But if you don't have an actual plan that you know for sure is going to come to fruition then you shouldn't just let your current home rot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 127
ginnywings
April 16, 2024, 10:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
All this talk of next season is making me feel uneasy.

We are not mathematically out of the current mess yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 127
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 16, 2024, 10:28am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I hear you and I think this is that natural Grimsby pessimism coming through. ALL OF MY MATES have told me that we're safe (and they support clubs like Stockport, Stevenage, Everton...so are neutral re us) and I even texted one of them pointing out that we are 6 points clear with a game in hand, a +10 GD, our game in hand is against a relegation rival and Sutton have to play 2 teams who on paper should beat them.

But the doubt is still there, gnawing like a rat at a skirting board..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 127
diehardmariner
April 16, 2024, 11:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,650
Gold Stars: 539
Nah, no chance we're still in danger.  

As for next season, genuinely excited to see who Artell (Yes Golly, Artell) brings in.  Without doubt we won't be flash with the budget but with a fair number of what I would presume are higher earners out of contract that's not an horrendous position to be in.
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 127
Maringer
April 16, 2024, 11:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

BP isn’t fit for purpose and hasn’t been for a very long time.

I could have sworn I've watched hundreds of football matches at BP over the past 40-odd years. It's got a pitch, stands, seating and a safety certificate, so it is certainly fit for that purpose and will be so for the foreseeable future. The problems will come when we need to replace the Main Stand. Hopefully, the owners have some sort of a plan in this regard. I'd imagine they will be liaising with the safety bods about this.

We can't fit a conference centre in the ground and don't have room for many other facilities, but those are just sidelines for a football club to help keep it going. What won't keep a club going is moving to a new stadium which it can't afford to even build in the first place!

Could we look to build a new training ground with a conference centre attached as part of the development? If it was not far off the A180, it would probably be a better location than having to drive through Grimsby to get to BP? No idea if this would be any more feasible than a new ground, of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 127
LocalLadGTFC
April 16, 2024, 11:57am
Cocktail Drinker
I don't understand all this talk of BP being unfit for purpose... been to most away games this season and it's probably top 5/10 grounds in the league. No way near the state of some of the grounds in this league... obviously the problem is based on potential future progression but the problem is more about people releasing seats than it is actual capacity.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 90 - 127
diehardmariner
April 16, 2024, 12:19pm
Vodka Drinker
And that's it - our potential for growth is really limited there.

And it's also a huge money pit.  We're consistently throwing money at it just to make it right, not for any benefit other than allowing us to continue to play from there.

I think Maringer is onto the right thing with the added on facilities forming part of the training ground.  I don't think there's a huge revenue stream of having facilities at the football club.  Sure there's a few who will have a wedding or engagement at the club because it's actually at Blundell Park, but the real money comes from those who are looking for good and accessible facilities (sadly, none of which BP is).

From absolute personal experience, there's a definite lack of conference type facilities in this area.  I'm going on a bit of a presumption that there's demand but the right facility would definitely generate income.

I'm also not going to pretend that BP is indeed fit for purpose.  It's really unpopular to say and I know people love the place but I'm sorry it's a shithole.  Yes it's our shithole but it's still just that.  There's plenty of other shitholes in this league but to be 100% honest I don't want to be competing with League Two dumps.  I want us to be better than that.  It needs a lot doing to it.  Some relatively short term (toilets), some medium term (making good the Main Stand) and then some much longer term (increasing capacity, generally having better stands etc.)
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 127
jamesgtfc
April 16, 2024, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,038
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Maringer

I could have sworn I've watched hundreds of football matches at BP over the past 40-odd years. It's got a pitch, stands, seating and a safety certificate, so it is certainly fit for that purpose and will be so for the foreseeable future. The problems will come when we need to replace the Main Stand. Hopefully, the owners have some sort of a plan in this regard. I'd imagine they will be liaising with the safety bods about this.

We can't fit a conference centre in the ground and don't have room for many other facilities, but those are just sidelines for a football club to help keep it going. What won't keep a club going is moving to a new stadium which it can't afford to even build in the first place!

Could we look to build a new training ground with a conference centre attached as part of the development? If it was not far off the A180, it would probably be a better location than having to drive through Grimsby to get to BP? No idea if this would be any more feasible than a new ground, of course.

Is there a huge need for conference facilities in North East Lincolnshire though?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 127
Maringer
April 16, 2024, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Is there a huge need for conference facilities in North East Lincolnshire though?

If you build it, they will come...

(...probably)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 127
Theimperialcoroner
April 16, 2024, 12:41pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,246
Gold Stars: 102
Looking at league One, there are probably only 5 grounds as bad or worse than ours. That’s a measure of how much we need to do.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 127
It Bites
April 16, 2024, 12:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I’ve still got a nervous feeling so I’m guessing we’re definitely not safe yet
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 127
RonMariner
April 16, 2024, 12:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from It Bites

I’ve still got a nervous feeling so I’m guessing we’re definitely not safe yet

If we lose our last three games and they win their last two it means at least a 5 goal turnaround on goal diff. Sutton need a ten goal turnaround so they need the winning margins in those five matches to average 2 goals.

It’s not impossible by any means but I really don’t see us losing at home to Swindon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 127
Poojah
April 16, 2024, 12:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

If we lose our last three games and they win their last two it means at least a 5 goal turnaround on goal diff. Sutton need a ten goal turnaround so they need the winning margins in those five matches to average 2 goals.

It’s not impossible by any means but I really don’t see us losing at home to Swindon.

Yep, three 2-0 defeats for us combined with two 2-0 wins for Sutton AND an additional win for Colchester would relegate us, but that strikes me as an extremely unlikely sequence of events. Still, like everyone else I’ll be able to relax that bit more once the job is officially done.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 127
LocalLadGTFC
April 16, 2024, 1:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner

And it's also a huge money pit.  We're consistently throwing money at it just to make it right, not for any benefit other than allowing us to continue to play from there.

I think Maringer is onto the right thing with the added on facilities forming part of the training ground.  I don't think there's a huge revenue stream of having facilities at the football club.  Sure there's a few who will have a wedding or engagement at the club because it's actually at Blundell Park, but the real money comes from those who are looking for good and accessible facilities (sadly, none of which BP is).

From absolute personal experience, there's a definite lack of conference type facilities in this area.  I'm going on a bit of a presumption that there's demand but the right facility would definitely generate income.

I'm also not going to pretend that BP is indeed fit for purpose.  It's really unpopular to say and I know people love the place but I'm sorry it's a shithole.  Yes it's our shithole but it's still just that.  There's plenty of other shitholes in this league but to be 100% honest I don't want to be competing with League Two dumps.  I want us to be better than that.  It needs a lot doing to it.  Some relatively short term (toilets), some medium term (making good the Main Stand) and then some much longer term (increasing capacity, generally having better stands etc.)

Potential growth is limited I agree, but it's only draining money away in the short term because it's been abused in the long term.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 98 - 127
diehardmariner
April 16, 2024, 1:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Without question.  But it's the card we've got to work with.  We either address it soon or we continue to put sticky plaster over the big holes.
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 127
AdamHaddock
April 16, 2024, 1:13pm

Main Stander
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,834
Gold Stars: 26
A heavy defeat tonight would make us far more vulnerable to being caught by Sutton. Let's go there and get that point

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 127
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 16, 2024, 1:39pm
Champagne Drinker

.  I don't think there's a huge revenue stream of having facilities at the football club.

Griffin Park had facilities for 50 ,the new Brentford ground has facilities for 5000 (and it was built before they got into the Prem) - I think Mr Stockwood would like a slice of that on match day.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 127
diehardmariner
April 16, 2024, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Yeah, corporate matchday facilities are (sadly) a necessary requirement for any football club that wants to move forward.  

That needs to be factored into any plans and I'm not sure if corporate and conference capabilities go hand-in-hand or can be separated out.  At the minute it's all shoved into one big room at BP.  

Purely in terms of conference and function suites, I don't see any real need for them to specifically at the football ground.  
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 127
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 16, 2024, 2:28pm
Champagne Drinker
They are ideally at the same place because that gives you more options and economies of scale - kitchens are used on match day and non match day (building kitchens is not cheap!), you only have to buy stock for one set of bars and kitchens, you only have to clean and maintain one place, you only pay rates etc on one place, staff costs are less.

By using the ground you also have the option of using the boxes for meetings and break out rooms for the wider conferences so increasing your size without new build expenses.

And match day facilities can be used for conferences, and conference facilities can be used for match days. It's a win:win

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 127
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 16, 2024, 2:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Yeah, corporate matchday facilities are (sadly) a necessary requirement for any football club that wants to move forward.  

That needs to be factored into any plans and I'm not sure if corporate and conference capabilities go hand-in-hand or can be separated out.  At the minute it's all shoved into one big room at BP.  

Purely in terms of conference and function suites, I don't see any real need for them to specifically at the football ground.  

Just an aside to this: even now Town are charging £75 for the full matchday experience. 5000 people paying £75 is £375k!

I know we won't get 5000 buying hospitality, I'm using it to illustrate a point, but these are not small sums of money.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 127
lew chaterleys lover
April 16, 2024, 2:49pm
Vodka Drinker

To describe BP as a shithole is a bit harsh isn't it? It depends what you are comparing it with, but as lower league grounds go it has a lot going for it.

On street parking, all seater, all covered unless a gale is blowing the wrong way, some corporate facilities/restaurant, bars in the ground, plenty of food outlets, a brisk walk away from pubs for a pre match drink.

Added to that it has seen more drama that most lower league grounds combined.

As regards Maringers point about having conference facilities away from the stadium, say as part of the training complex, I have mentioned that many times in the past. There is more than one way of skinning a cat, and this is the sort of clever thinking and innovative ideas I expected from 1878.
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 127
Maringer
April 16, 2024, 3:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
It's all very well mentioning how Brentford increased their hospitality spaces to thousands, but they had the benefit of an owner worth hundreds of millions who could finance a £70 million stadium plus a slightly more attractive location for hospitality as it is located within the M25 and about 10 miles from central London!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 127
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 16, 2024, 3:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
It's all very well mentioning how Brentford increased their hospitality spaces to thousands, but they had the benefit of an owner worth hundreds of millions who could finance a £70 million stadium plus a slightly more attractive location for hospitality as it is located within the M25 and about 10 miles from central London!

It's an example that I used because I happen to know a bit about the ground. I also mentioned that we will not get 5000 buying hospitality at BP but you've conveniently not mentioned that.

But, we don't have 3 other clubs (2 in the EPL) on our doorstep or the multiple opportunities to do other things on a Saturday afternoon that you could do in London.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 127
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 16, 2024, 3:17pm
Champagne Drinker

To describe BP as a shithole is a bit harsh isn't it?

I'm afraid it's not - the ground is old and tired, the area behind the main stand is particularly depressing. Sitting in the ground feels like you're back in the 70s.

It's not just the ground either, arriving in the area around the ground is like driving through Aleppo. I live outside the area and maybe see it through 'outsider's eyes'.

There's a comment about it being a short walk to get a drink. There is no pub in walking distance of BP that I would go in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 127
gtfc_chris
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,504
Gold Stars: 115

I don't think that's strictly true, Barrow aren't littered with stand out L1/L2 players in their ranks yet have played decent enough football, I personally thought it was criminal we beat them at BP (though obviously pleased we did).

There's no denying that the better the individual the more you can encourage attractive football which comes with a degree of risk. But ultimately all it needs is a coach with competence to instil an understanding amongst the players of their roles both with and without the ball that bridges the gap in ability that may exist individually across teams.

I think the other level to it is what are fans happy with and in my opinion it always changes with the wind and words can't be relied upon. If we played the attractive football that we'd like and passed the ball, took shots etc etc, and the game was end to end but we finished 17th, where would that compare to a 'pragmatic' (PH style) brand of football that saw us finish in the top 3 or play offs? It'll be an unpopular view but I don't think we're ever happy and much as we say we just want 'this', when we get 'this' we then want 'that'.

For me personally, I'd be happy with a 15th place finish with some improvements in our playing style. I can happily sit and watch a free-flowing game of football with some neat passing exchanges throughout etc and find it enjoyable even when it finishes 0-0 courtesy of a blinder by the keeper/opposition defence. Along the lines of my belief that a deep understanding of individual and collective roles can bridge ability deficiencies, I also think that anything worth having can take time to acquire so a season of steady progress is fine in my book, the more challenging aspect is how that progresses season on season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 127
GrimPol
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -772
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from RonMariner

You would hope that the Town team that played Crewe on Saturday, turn up on Tuesday. The names might be familiar, but their game might differ from Saturdays totally. Play like strangers with boots laced onto the wrong feet, and erode our GD by losing or totally dominate Colchester who are below us and seal League status tonight. Who the hell knows? UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 127
lew chaterleys lover
April 16, 2024, 3:27pm
Vodka Drinker

I'm afraid it's not - the ground is old and tired, the area behind the main stand is particularly depressing. Sitting in the ground feels like you're back in the 70s.

It's not just the ground either, arriving in the area around the ground is like driving through Aleppo. I live outside the area and maybe see it through 'outsider's eyes'.

There's a comment about it being a short walk to get a drink. There is no pub in walking distance of BP that I would go in.

I'm trying to think of how many lower league grounds I have visited and thought, wow this is beautiful- the stadium,  the surroundings etc. Not many spring to mind and the "brisk" walk I mentioned is to the High Street area of Cleethorpes where numerous pubs and restaurants await.

I'm not comparing us to big city venues or moneybags clubs obviously.

Private Message
Reply: 111 - 127
diehardmariner
April 16, 2024, 3:43pm
Vodka Drinker
They are ideally at the same place because that gives you more options and economies of scale - kitchens are used on match day and non match day (building kitchens is not cheap!), you only have to buy stock for one set of bars and kitchens, you only have to clean and maintain one place, you only pay rates etc on one place, staff costs are less.

By using the ground you also have the option of using the boxes for meetings and break out rooms for the wider conferences so increasing your size without new build expenses.

And match day facilities can be used for conferences, and conference facilities can be used for match days. It's a win:win

Fair enough.  With the limitations on BP for such, be it corporate and/or commercial, be interesting to see how 1878 plan to tap into this.  
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 127
diehardmariner
April 16, 2024, 3:49pm
Vodka Drinker

I'm trying to think of how many lower league grounds I have visited and thought, wow this is beautiful- the stadium,  the surroundings etc. Not many spring to mind and the "brisk" walk I mentioned is to the High Street area of Cleethorpes where numerous pubs and restaurants await.

I'm not comparing us to big city venues or moneybags clubs obviously.

We're largely not competing against the other clubs though.  We're competing against other entertainment sources.  What is it for a walk up match day ticket, £22?  For £22 you can go to the local cinema in comparative sheer luxury and stuff your face and still get change.    The new TV deal will make it more appealing for people to stay at home and watch the game rather than venture to BP, that appeal to stay at home gets stronger when the view in the ground is crap, the facilities are crap, the parking is non-existent....

Yeah, it'll be the same for a lot of clubs too.  I get it, it's our shithole and we've got fond memories of it.  But the casual fan doesn't have that connection.  We constantly need new blood coming through the gates and the more we want to progress through the leagues the more of it we need.  The current state of Blundell Park isn't helping attract those people.    It's not just the ground. No-one is going to continue to come to a lovely, plush ground if the entertainment is poor.  They have to be done in conjunction with each other, which is why it boils my urine when people say we should just invest in the playing staff and forget the Scotch Eggs...
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 127
MuddyWaters
April 16, 2024, 3:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker

All of the above is true - except it's not a very popular thing to admit. Add to the fact that Harrington Street is like dogshit city and I'm not sure the local residents are terribly excited about on street parking either.
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 127
rancido
April 16, 2024, 3:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Maybe but the playing surface at BP and training facilities were woefully neglected under his tenure. How can your expect a team to perform properly if their preparation is in third rate facilities and their performance surface is poor? You can't expect anybody in any trade to produce their best if their training is poor and they don't have adequate tools ie in our case a half-decent football surface.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 127
MuddyWaters
April 16, 2024, 4:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Maybe but the playing surface at BP and training facilities were woefully neglected under his tenure. How can your expect a team to perform properly if their preparation is in third rate facilities and their performance surface is poor? You can't expect anybody in any trade to produce their best if their training is poor and they don't have adequate tools ie in our case a half-decent football surface.

As I said, a lot of what he did was unforgivable.
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 127
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 16, 2024, 4:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

All of the above is true - except it's not a very popular thing to admit. Add to the fact that Harrington Street is like dogshit city and I'm not sure the local residents are terribly excited about on street parking either.

I'm very comfortable being unpopular so here comes another unpopular view...

Compare Blundell Park to going to MK Dons: we arrived reasonably early, parked the car about 20 yards from the gate, went and had a decent meal looking at the stadium, wandered across to the stadium, was treated really well by the stadium staff, had a great view of the game in comfort and close to a bar and was in the car and away about 15 minutes after full time. It was an all round enjoyable experience.

I KNOW we won't be building the MK Stadium but it was like watching football in another world.

Edit: I was thinking about this and have another perspective to add. I'm on my second marriage and have only been married about 4 years. My wife had never been to a football match before she met me and she instinctively wants to go to Chelsea v Man Utd because she sees them on the TV and it's all glitz and glamour. But, she is genuinely getting a real interest in Town and enjoys going to the games - she used to enjoy the people watching and the visit to another town but now she's beginning to invest emotionally in the football. I have to think about 'selling' watching Grimsby to her so I can keep her interest and make it an enjoyable shared experience.

It is much easier to 'sell' her watching Grimsby at MK Dons or Wimbledon than it is at Grimsby.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 127
Chrisblor
April 16, 2024, 4:32pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,932
Gold Stars: 238
I absolutely hated going to the MK Dons stadium this year - it's about 8 times bigger than it needs to be, surrounded by a gigantic expanse of carparks and shite chain retail outlets, and they wanted close to a tenner off you for the privilege of parking next to the stadium. They then had the cheek to shove us away fans up in a corner miles away from the pitch, with thousands of empty covered seats sat unused below us. It was a dreadful experience and absolutely something we should be looking to completely avoid emulating ourselves.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 127
lew chaterleys lover
April 16, 2024, 4:36pm
Vodka Drinker

I'm very comfortable being unpopular so here comes another unpopular view...

Compare Blundell Park to going to MK Dons: we arrived reasonably early, parked the car about 20 yards from the gate, went and had a decent meal looking at the stadium, wandered across to the stadium, was treated really well by the stadium staff, had a great view of the game in comfort and close to a bar and was in the car and away about 15 minutes after full time. It was an all round enjoyable experience.

I KNOW we won't be building the MK Stadium but it was like watching football in another world.

It depends on what you want out of life I guess but that wouldn't excite me.

I go to football for the drama, the connection to the team and fellow fans and I will quite happily put up with walking from the car and facilities that aren't the same as a plush evening out. Judging by the number of home tickets sold between 6-7000 people don't have much problem with it nor do hundreds of thousands of people in lower league grounds up and down the country.

I'm looking forward to any improvements we can make to BP but if and until we start a resurgence up the leagues it is not really too much of a worry at this stage.
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 127
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 16, 2024, 4:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Interesting that you use the phrase 'put up with..'

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 127
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 16, 2024, 4:43pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor
I absolutely hated going to the MK Dons stadium this year - it's about 8 times bigger than it needs to be, surrounded by a gigantic expanse of carparks and shite chain retail outlets, and they wanted close to a tenner off you for the privilege of parking next to the stadium. They then had the cheek to shove us away fans up in a corner miles away from the pitch, with thousands of empty covered seats sat unused below us. It was a dreadful experience and absolutely something we should be looking to completely avoid emulating ourselves.

I'm not going to argue with you as your opinion is your opinion..

But I don't know where you tried to park, we were literally 20 yards from the gate and parked for free.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 127
Chrisblor
April 16, 2024, 4:51pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,932
Gold Stars: 238

I'm not going to argue with you as your opinion is your opinion..

But I don't know where you tried to park, we were literally 20 yards from the gate and parked for free.

I parked on street in the industrial area south of the stadium on street for free. The retail park has free car parking for customers, but the guidance issued by MK Dons on matchday parking explicitly prohibits match-going supporters from parking there without paying £8 in advance (or £10 on the day) and meant you simply got lucky and dodged a £60 parking fine - https://www.mkdons.com/club/visit-stadiummk/

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 127
lew chaterleys lover
April 16, 2024, 5:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Interesting that you use the phrase 'put up with..'

It's walking from the car which is parked a reasonable distance from the stadium...its hardly one of life's insurmountable problems.

Private Message
Reply: 123 - 127
Poojah
April 16, 2024, 6:11pm
Vodka Drinker
I suppose there are two main aspects to the effectiveness of a football ground; how well it works for the club commercially and how well it works for match-going fans.

The commercial side is quite tangible; how much money does it make the club inside and outside match days. Spurs’ ground is a case study in this regard, though admittedly it did cost a billion quid or so to build.

As for what makes a good match going-experience, there’s a degree of subjectivity about that depending on what you want. I remember going to Bolton’s ground as a 13 year old, for Town’s first away game of the 98/99 season (and Lee Ashcroft’s debut if memory serves) and being absolutely blown away by it. The modernity of the design was like nothing else I’d seen before, and the fact we were able to rock up in my old man’s old Volvo, park right next to the ground and nip for a Big Mac at the Maccies on the adjacent retail park was a huge bonus. I’d be a lot less excited about that away day as a 38 year-old, though.

Take MK Dons. Let’s just forget what they represent as a club for a moment. Forget how soulless Milton Keynes is. And forget the fact the ground is routinely 80% empty. For the sake of the argument, let’s pretend the opposite of all of those things are true.

In and of itself, it’s a quality stadium and it wouldn’t look out of place in the Premier League - but however you cut it, it’s  in a poor location. And that’s always going to be hard to recover from.

For me, a good new stadium in this day and age should be within walking distance of the town’s primary railway station, and the town’s core amenities - traditional pubs, restaurants, all that jazz. It should draw people into the town, not away from it. There are exceptions, like Brighton, where it just wasn’t feasible to build a ground in the city centre, but they atone for that well with free public transport.

Ultimately, whether Blundell Park constitutes a good away day largely depends on where it falls on the fixture list. A warm, summer’s day in August is going to be more pleasant than a cold, wet and windy evening in January. But in principle, being able to arrive on the train, have a stroll down the sea front, grab some decent fish and chips and a few pints before walking to the ground is a pretty good recipe as far as a Town of Cleethorpes / Grimsby’s size is likely to offer (not to mention being a lot cheaper than central London or any other major city in England for that matter).

Had our vain attempts to relocate to Great Coates or Peaks Parkway been successful, it would have been a disaster, with hindsight. Who truly wants plastic, suburban football with poor transport connections?

There’s a lot wrong with BP, especially commercially speaking, as our most recent accounts laid bare. But as others have pointed out, for all its obvious foibles, it offers a profoundly better overall footballing experience than a lot of grounds at and around this level. There’s an element of being careful what you wish for.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 127
MarinerWY
April 16, 2024, 6:21pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from Poojah
Had our vain attempts to relocate to Great Coates or Peaks Parkway been successful, it would have been a disaster, with hindsight. Who truly wants plastic, suburban football with poor transport connections?

York City's new stadium comes to mind

By all accounts a very well designed stadium, but out of the city, in a soulless retail park with not a pub in sight. Drive there, drive back, do not pass go (or any of great things you might actually visit York for, not least great pubs)
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 127
1mickylyons
April 16, 2024, 6:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
A fantastic thread guys and well done to all who have contributed with some well thought out comments. For what it's worth simple maths it's £23 for a match ticket £75 for a corporate match ticket clearly ALL football clubs need to maximise corporate. The problem is was and always will be the punters want to enjoy the football Town's gates the past 2 seasons have been astounding given the fayre on offer.Personally I feel those gates are largely support of 1878 but how long will it remain if the football doesn't improve 🤔
I genuinely hope this time next year were challenging for the play offs and I see no reason whatsoever why that isn't a possible scenario. C'mon GTFC let's roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 127
Poojah
April 16, 2024, 6:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MarinerWY

York City's new stadium comes to mind

By all accounts a very well designed stadium, but out of the city, in a soulless retail park with not a pub in sight. Drive there, drive back, do not pass go (or any of great things you might actually visit York for, not least great pubs)

York’s a great example. Bootham Crescent was a massivevshíthole - much more so than BP, but I used to love that away day.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 127
13 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Never in this mess again

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.