6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
April 11, 2024, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,651
Gold Stars: 539
I think Tharme is there as the warrior, leader, just basic defender for the future.  

I was worried when he was first brought in if he was there to play 'ArtellBall'.  However I genuinely think it'll be those around him who will be the ones bringing it out and passing it.  You can't have everyone doing the same thing.

That said, with games under his belt Tharme looks far more assured with the ball at his feet and doing actual stuff with it.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
rancido
April 11, 2024, 4:19pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,613
Gold Stars: 96
I'm sure that if Artell wants to play out from the back he and the recruitment team will identify players who can do this. Don't forget he inherited players who , in hindsight, couldn't play the way he wanted them to.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
Southwark Mariner
April 11, 2024, 5:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,562
Gold Stars: 83
I know Gardner was given a contract but have any other youth team players been offered contracts since his??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
Maringer
April 11, 2024, 7:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,627
Gold Stars: 185
Where's this idea that Tharme is slow come from? Seems OK to me, pace-wise. A typical League Two defender. He looks better than the rest defensively and we all know about that throw.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
louth_in_the_south
April 11, 2024, 7:59pm

Exile
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Quoted from rancido
I'm sure that if Artell wants to play out from the back he and the recruitment team will identify players who can do this. Don't forget he inherited players who , in hindsight, couldn't play the way he wanted them to.

I really really hope this vanity project gets shelved and he realises that L2 is not the place for this . Ffs Dortmund fooked it up last night trying to play out and it could cost them a place in the CL semis . I just can’t see the benefit of attempting it at L2 level.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
Mappers
April 11, 2024, 8:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,393
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Maringer
Where's this idea that Tharme is slow come from? Seems OK to me, pace-wise. A typical League Two defender. He looks better than the rest defensively and we all know about that throw.

Any time we have to attack and he get's turned around-  3 or 4 examples second half against Harrogate .

He needs a mobile companion or to consistently defend deep - he's looked very good in the back 5 when in the main we have either been sat behind the ball or cautiously attacking .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
Mappers
April 11, 2024, 8:20pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,393
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

I really really hope this vanity project gets shelved and he realises that L2 is not the place for this . Ffs Dortmund fooked it up last night trying to play out and it could cost them a place in the CL semis . I just can’t see the benefit of attempting it at L2 level.

I am dubious in truth aswell . Maybe it can work , with the right players /budget - MK have not done badly but Notts the other one's who try and play total football got found out really badly . Mansfield play a bit and looked good + might get promotion but it's been a long process for them with a lot of ££££ thrown at  it .

Most of the other teams who do well seem to mix it up well at this level or just have better players (see Wrexham & Stockport ) neither of them exactly looked like Real Madrid in the games against us just effective and clinical . I hope the 'teams who do well make over  600 passes a game ' quote wasn't something he is taking seriously  or will try and implement ; hopefully just a broader insight as teams (any) who do well at league 2 level very rarely pass that number .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
kevikov
April 11, 2024, 9:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from rancido

Sadly he inherited players who can barely play anyway at all.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
louth_in_the_south
April 12, 2024, 4:48am

Exile
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Quoted from Mappers

I am dubious in truth aswell . Maybe it can work , with the right players /budget - MK have not done badly but Notts the other one's who try and play total football got found out really badly . Mansfield play a bit and looked good + might get promotion but it's been a long process for them with a lot of ££££ thrown at  it .

Most of the other teams who do well seem to mix it up well at this level or just have better players (see Wrexham & Stockport ) neither of them exactly looked like Real Madrid in the games against us just effective and clinical . I hope the 'teams who do well make over  600 passes a game ' quote wasn't something he is taking seriously  or will try and implement ; hopefully just a broader insight as teams (any) who do well at league 2 level very rarely pass that number .

If he does attempt to create a team that makes 600 passes a game I guarantee it will only end up getting him the sack and we’ll have a seriously negative goal difference and be in a similar position when in the league when the next manager takes over .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Doug Tharme and Curtis Thompson

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.