Grimal
April 11, 2024, 10:57am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from diehardmariner
Well as others have said his recruitment so far hasn't been too bad.

Tharme - Very good
Thompson - Very good

Hume & Smith - Ok.

Obikwu and Wood - Ok.  DN35 podcast summed up Jan loans nicely this week when they described them as 'you get what you're given'.  When you consider that with the exception of George Lloyd and the two season long loans, we were absolutely dreadful in the loan market last season, especially with younger players.

If we end up with 12 then we probably need another 12.  Within that 12 if we had a 25% strike rate as good as Tharme and Thompson that gives us 3 very good additions.  You add that to an existing spine of 3 (Tharme, Thompson & Rose) and you've got over half your first XI as more than decent.  

You don't need a team of superstars to be effective at this level.  Just a strong core and a few sprinklings of quality.  

The biggest stick to hit Artell's Crewe time with was his recruitment when his young stars were sold, it was largely accepted as awful. But it feels an unfair stick to beat him with. 1) We're not at League One so let's not worry about how he recruited at that level and 2) we don't know enough about the budget constraints etc, he was working with.  

My view is he's done pretty ok with recruitment so far. I don't see any reason why he won't improve the squad in the summer.

I agree with most of this but sorry can't agree that Obikwu is OK, he's a terrible player, I wouldn't mind seeing Lady G. galloping down the M180 on her white steed to collect him and deliver him back where he's come from. I know he's young but so frustrating to watch, doesn't hold the ball up, can't pass and for a guy his height doesn't win hardly any headers.I personally hope to never see him in a Town shirt ever again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
diehardmariner
April 11, 2024, 11:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,650
Gold Stars: 539
He was painful to watch on Tuesday, that much is for sure!

But he was also virtually unplayable against Sutton for example.  

There's a player in there, the biggest challenge is getting it out consistently.   Getting young lads from these elite Academy's always ends up with a similar type product, i.e. they're just so raw and generally not ready for the rough and tumble of professional football.

As other have said elsewhere, I'd personally prefer to see us blooding our own kids and giving them experience than doing the dirty work for other sides.  But there's clearly a reason behind it.  But I still think Obikwu is 'ok', nothing more or less and certainly better than virtually all the young loan lads we've had before.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
mariner91
April 11, 2024, 11:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,695
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from diehardmariner
He was painful to watch on Tuesday, that much is for sure!

But he was also virtually unplayable against Sutton for example.  

There's a player in there, the biggest challenge is getting it out consistently.   Getting young lads from these elite Academy's always ends up with a similar type product, i.e. they're just so raw and generally not ready for the rough and tumble of professional football.

As other have said elsewhere, I'd personally prefer to see us blooding our own kids and giving them experience than doing the dirty work for other sides.  But there's clearly a reason behind it.  But I still think Obikwu is 'ok', nothing more or less and certainly better than virtually all the young loan lads we've had before.

He was also good against MK and ultimately scored the only goal of the game. He's scored three goals and gained us four vital points, the goal against Sutton being doubly important as it stopped them picking up more points. He's been an okay signing but nothing more than that. Ideally we would get better for next season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
neverapen
April 11, 2024, 11:48am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +126
Gold Stars: 1
Don't disagree with anything that's really been said re Obikwu, he has scored pivotal goals for us but equally has looked completely lost in some matches

I'm all for bring young ones through, however we are at a massive point in the season where maybe experience is more valuable.

Maybe if things go our way at the weekend and we find ourselves safe then great let Obikwu rinse the rest of his time with us, but equally would giving someone like Cam Gardner a go be more beneficial to the club (not sure when his loan ends?)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
lew chaterleys lover
April 11, 2024, 12:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
If we keep player raw youngsters with no connection to the club when they are bringing so little to the team we deserve all we get.

Surely to God there were experienced players desperate for game time when we were looking in January.

I'm not sure why we even think it is a good idea at all. The Championship and the way they play the game is completely different to league 2. I doubt any of them have known anything but having plenty of time to showcase their skills against other youngsters having plenty of time to showcase their skills.

It is unfair on the players, and unfair on our brilliant support that we are trying to rely on youngsters like this.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
Ruston AT
April 11, 2024, 12:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +431
Gold Stars: 10

I agree with die hard mariner re blooding our own, the problem is if we haven't sold the better youngsters before they've completed the 3 year YT,  we've released these lads in their last year' you only have to look at the semi pro leagues plastered with journey men.
The Academy system of the higher leagues (thank you Howard Wilkinson) haven't done the lower section of the football pyramid any favours,  they  hoover up the better youngsters by selling them the dream then release them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
Stew0_0
April 11, 2024, 12:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
For me we start the next transfer window with these...

Doug Tharme (still under contract)
Harvey Rodgers (still under contract)
Toby Mullarkey (still under contract)
Curtis Thompson (still under contract)
Alex Hunt (still under contract)
Harry Clifton (offer new contract)
Charles Vernam (still under contract)
Danny Rose (still under contract)

The rest can go. Bring in...
2 new keepers
2 new full backs plus backups (4)
A centre half powerhouse (Captain)
2/3 new creative midfielders with an engine and goals in them
A new solid midfielder (upgrade on Green)
2/3 new rapid direct wingers
A target man strike partner for Rose
A George Lloyd type workhorse striker

Looking like 14-16 new signings in the summer. Gonna be busy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
Hagrid
April 11, 2024, 12:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,483
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Stew0_0

2 new keepers

And for me personally we cannot be looking to start the season with Rodgers and Mullarkey as starters- especially if we move to 4 at the back
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
Mappers
April 11, 2024, 1:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,394
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Stew0_0

2 new keepers

I like Tharme but if we go to a back 4 he will need a quicker CB partner  next to him as he is very slow - unless we play deep but I doubt that's something Artell will want next time out .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
toontown
April 11, 2024, 1:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mappers

I like Tharme but if we go to a back 4 he will need a quicker CB partner  next to him as he is very slow - unless we play deep but I doubt that's something Artell will want next time out .

Tharme is a great defender and a good leader, strong in the air and the tackle, with a good throw - but he's not got much pace and his distribution is woeful. Not convinced he will be great at Artellball when Artell wheels that out again, just like he wasn't last time. I really really hope Artell has learnt his lesson this season or else next season (if we stay up) could see the wheels come off very quickly indeed. Assuming we go back to a back 4 we need a quicker partner for him who has some distribution skills.

A Tharme and Rodgers partnership in a back 4 got relegated from league 1 and trying the same again in league 2 will not bring a successful promotion challenge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Doug Tharme and Curtis Thompson

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.