Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › How are we this bad?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

How are we this bad?

This thread currently has 4,231 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Ashby mariner
February 17, 2024, 10:21pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
We made some good signings on paper. However losing max, smith, mcatee, emanual our leader waterfall being a year older. Also Taylor who held the ball up and had a great understanding with mcatee are all things to consider. I remember being at donny away and half the fans shouting we want Hursty out!  I thought becareful what you wish for an fa cup quarter final and a top half finish dosnt look to shabby compared to this season. I know Hurst signed alot of these players but I do think if he'd been here in January he would of rectified things. He always had good Januarys in the transfer market. Also I thought after his achievements last season and the incredible conference season he had probably done enough by the owners to give him chance to of stayed longer and like I say had a January to sort the squad out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 48
mariner91
February 17, 2024, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,650
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Ashby mariner
We made some good signings on paper. However losing max, smith, mcatee, emanual our leader waterfall being a year older. Also Taylor who held the ball up and had a great understanding with mcatee are all things to consider. I remember being at donny away and half the fans shouting we want Hursty out!  I thought becareful what you wish for an fa cup quarter final and a top half finish dosnt look to shabby compared to this season. I know Hurst signed alot of these players but I do think if he'd been here in January he would of rectified things. He always had good Januarys in the transfer market. Also I thought after his achievements last season and the incredible conference season he had probably done enough by the owners to give him chance to of stayed longer and like I say had a January to sort the squad out.

Except for the last time we were in this position.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 48
davmariner
February 18, 2024, 1:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,930
Gold Stars: 79
Hurst definitely copulated up on the recruitment and let too many solid players go. He does love a churn and I think the risk he took ultimately backfired because so many of the individuals he brought in are poor.

However, I do think he would have tweaked it in January as he did during our promotion season and in the last one. Don't forget he brought in the likes of George Lloyd and Emmanuel in January 2023.

My point is, I don’t think we’d be in such as mess had PH stayed. Maybe a statto can tell us how many points we’d be on based on his record prior to getting the boot?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 48
AncientExiledMariner
February 18, 2024, 1:49am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from davmariner
Hurst definitely copulated up on the recruitment and let too many solid players go. He does love a churn and I think the risk he took ultimately backfired because so many of the individuals he brought in are poor.

However, I do think he would have tweaked it in January as he did during our promotion season and in the last one. Don't forget he brought in the likes of George Lloyd and Emmanuel in January 2023.

My point is, I don’t think we’d be in such as mess had PH stayed. Maybe a statto can tell us how many points we’d be on based on his record prior to getting the boot?

I made this point before we sacked Hurst. I said if we changed, the new manager would go with his own players and quality is limited in January. Hurst himself wouldn't be happy with this and would want to change things. I was one of the few here still defending him.

Now I find myself one of the few defending DA, because the thing most don't realise is, changing doesn't always work. You always have the same squad and you need someone who can get something out of that squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 48
golfer
February 18, 2024, 8:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,430
Gold Stars: 116

Hunt has been injured. Charles is coming back to fitness and cannot fully last the 90, Eisa is scoring though. Glennon was good going forward, but getting shredded. Hume looked quite good against Stockport from the bits I saw.

Glennon was made to look worse than he was because he was getting no cover especially from Maher who has absolutely no positional sense.- just back off back off until the forward is in shooting range. - when he does tackle he's a yard too late. In any team you need a strong backbone which we haven't had since Waterfall in his prime. 3 at the back is the only option but who do we have that we can put faith in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 48
GrimRob
February 18, 2024, 9:02am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
The biggest mistake was imposing a playing style on the new manager. That should be 100% down to the coaching staff they should be able to play how they want whatever is most effective.  The Grimsby Way was a fantasy, rolling back the clock to a forgone age.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 48
pen penfras
February 18, 2024, 10:32am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from GrimRob
The biggest mistake was imposing a playing style on the new manager. That should be 100% down to the coaching staff they should be able to play how they want whatever is most effective.  The Grimsby Way was a fantasy, rolling back the clock to a forgone age.

They didn't force it on Artell, they picked him because that's his style.

I think we've had a lot of luck the last 2 years. The promotion was the most luck I can remember a team having ever. And the cup run was hiding the inadequacies of that team who had spirit but little quality. I think this luck has meant the owners have bought into their own rhetoric and thinking it's easy if you do things the 'right way'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 48
Yoda
February 18, 2024, 10:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
The fa cup last season masked a lot of problems we hardly won at home last season up until the last few games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 48
GollyGTFC
February 18, 2024, 11:47am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,957
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Yoda
The fa cup last season masked a lot of problems we hardly won at home last season up until the last few games.

Yeah, but everyone understood why we struggled. We only had 55 days between the play-off Final and the L2 season starting. The play-off Final was 29 days after the L2 regular season finished and all the other clubs were well in to recruiting players before we knew which division we would be in.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › How are we this bad?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.