Son of Cod
May 23, 2023, 4:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from RonMariner

Can't see many fans of any club experiencing anything like that fortnight.

I was watching the Southampton game again last week (well, why not!!) and at one point the commentator mentions the  Wrexham game to McCoist and says 'surely one of the games of the decade.'  McCoist agrees and says ' Yes. I remember it well'.  That playoff campaign was so remarkable that it's not only us that will remember it.  

Yep, people remember the Wrexham game and are aware that we went up, maybe even remember it was against Solihull if they take an interest in lower league football. Not amongst proper Town fans, but the Notts match gets lost a bit in all the madness and glory of those two subsequent matches. In reality though, the Notts game has the most monumental moment of all three games for me. The Holohan equaliser is one of those last ditch absolutely do or die moments and you're so used to seeing the delivery shanked into row Z or nodded away by the first defender that the fact that we actually bundle the ball home just amplifies the reaction. How could a ridiculous scramble get more ridiculous too? Throw in a Crocombe assist. Now cut to Burchnall crouching down as his world crumples and then to the away end that looks like a massive intercourse off rave. Absolutely iconic goal that I'll never tire of seeing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 48
aldi_01
May 23, 2023, 9:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Poojah

Remember with a minute or so to go we pretended it wasn’t an issue if we lost? 😂😂

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 48
aldi_01
May 23, 2023, 9:17pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yep, people remember the Wrexham game and are aware that we went up, maybe even remember it was against Solihull if they take an interest in lower league football. Not amongst proper Town fans, but the Notts match gets lost a bit in all the madness and glory of those two subsequent matches. In reality though, the Notts game has the most monumental moment of all three games for me. The Holohan equaliser is one of those last ditch absolutely do or die moments and you're so used to seeing the delivery shanked into row Z or nodded away by the first defender that the fact that we actually bundle the ball home just amplifies the reaction. How could a ridiculous scramble get more ridiculous too? Throw in a Crocombe assist. Now cut to Burchnall crouching down as his world crumples and then to the away end that looks like a massive intercourse off rave. Absolutely iconic goal that I'll never tire of seeing.

What a brilliant way to describe that away end…it was flipping carnage. They talk about limbs but it’s almost always  an over used phrase but that might, both goals saw even the most mild mannered fan lose their flipping mind…I remember leaving all three games in a daze…

Stood trying to buy a car park ticket after and having to get someone to help me figure out the machine, genuine bewilderment…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 48
Poojah
May 23, 2023, 9:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,559
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from aldi_01

Remember with a minute or so to go we pretended it wasn’t an issue if we lost? 😂😂

By around the 94th minute I’d already gone right through all the stages of grief and was balls deep in “acceptance” by that point.

Barring a very brief resurgence after their penalty, we were never really in it after that. The game HAD gone. Until their lad needlessly pushed Clifton in the back on the edge of their box…

…game on, muthafuckas!

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 48
aldi_01
May 23, 2023, 9:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

By around the 94th minute I’d already gone right through all the stages of grief and was balls deep in “acceptance” by that point.

Barring a very brief resurgence after their penalty, we were never really in it after that. The game HAD gone. Until their lad needlessly pushed Clifton in the back on the edge of their box…

…game on, muthafuckas!

I believe, with some cliched gesticulation about towns sort of non performance we’d accepted defeat and seemed to have come to terms with another season in the conference…

Then that moron pushed Clifton and the idiot in the stand ran off with the ball…I’m sure the additional time waiting for that mammary gave us our chance…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 48
SamoanMariner
May 24, 2023, 12:48am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +88
Fantastic memories from this time last year. I was listening on the radio and went berserk at my desk at work when we got the equaliser much to the bemusement of colleagues. Watching the highlights a bit later on, something that struck me was the look Abrahams gave the camera at the end of the game - like he knew what was about to happen in the coming games. Really struck me as reflecting the confidence in the team at the time and made me think it might just be possible. A very strange feeling after years of never feeling like things would go our way!

20mins and 23 secs into the highlights:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDJOsTnTcug&t=1219s[/url]

Fortunately managed to make it back to blighty to catch the final and see it happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 48
RonMariner
May 25, 2023, 10:02pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226
I love it when Gav runs over the fans and shouts BOOM! An unforgettable moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 48
RonMariner
May 25, 2023, 10:04pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,717
Gold Stars: 226
And Sunday is the anniversary of another rather eventful game!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 48
FishOutOfWater
May 26, 2023, 4:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Numanoid
Makes you realise how important Maguire Drew was in those games

On the way out of Nottingham we stopped at a McDs for a coffee before driving home

Some guy who was on the Notts coaching staff was in there too and came up to me and my lad and said how he impressed he was with us as a team and in particular said how Fox and Souza had run the show

To be honest everyone who played that night did the Town proud, as they did again at Wrecsam and at the London Stadium

Oh what a night, oh what a fortnight  🤩

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 48
Heisenberg
May 26, 2023, 5:13pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,066
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from SamoanMariner
Fantastic memories from this time last year. I was listening on the radio and went berserk at my desk at work when we got the equaliser much to the bemusement of colleagues. Watching the highlights a bit later on, something that struck me was the look Abrahams gave the camera at the end of the game - like he knew what was about to happen in the coming games. Really struck me as reflecting the confidence in the team at the time and made me think it might just be possible. A very strange feeling after years of never feeling like things would go our way!

20mins and 23 secs into the highlights:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDJOsTnTcug&t=1219s[/url]

Fortunately managed to make it back to blighty to catch the final and see it happen.

Abrahams knew all along. Jesus told him.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A year ago today

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.