Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Your expectations for next season ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 278 Guests

For our finishing league position
Only title will do
Top 3
Top 7
Top 10
10th-15th
Anything but a relegation battle will do
  View Results 191 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Your expectations for next season ?

This thread currently has 4,273 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
The Caterham Mariner
April 30, 2023, 9:08pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +103
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'm happy with us establishing ourselves as a solid League Two club for now after two relegations into the National League, anything more would be a bonus for me.

What Hurst did at Shrewsbury gives cause for optimism though.

THANK YOU!!
MY thoughts to before we get carried away to be  optimistic to what the future holds.
UTM 2023/24

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
Mappers
April 30, 2023, 9:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.41
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,506
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I wouldn't go as far as saying expect, but I want us all to aim for it.

I will get lynched for this but I won't be calling for Hurst to go if there is a bump in the road next season. Progress/improvement doesn't go up in a straight line, sometimes there are bumps in the road.

Hurst won't be leaving unless he works miracles with us or gets us relegated, so it's pointless for anyone to want him out ,if we are even doing moderately well .

I would not want him gone if we did not go up , he offers good stability at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
April 30, 2023, 11:14pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +878
Gold Stars: 123
Ask again on the first day after the transfer window closes and compare it to this poll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
grimsby pete
May 1, 2023, 12:36am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
Hoping for a top 7 finish which we should manage if we get the right players in and sort out home form out.

No teams out there who worry me after all we have beaten them all before.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
SouthLakesMariner
May 1, 2023, 1:20am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +945
Gold Stars: 21
We seem likely to finish in the top half this season, most likely 11th, possibly 12th, so we’ve re-established ourselves as a solid tier 4 team. With an increased budget, a manager/coaching staff who have an enhanced understanding of what is required to succeed in this division and a few retained players who could make the same claim, you have to be optimistic that we can do better next season.

For a play-off place we need to improve by 17 points or more - can we expect that big a leap?

There were times this season that we were looking downwards, so for me, if we are challenging for a place in the play-offs, even if that ends in us falling just short, I’ll be happy and will see that as further progress.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
fishboyUTM
May 1, 2023, 6:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
What I really want to see is a less chaotic style of football and some control in posession. These lads have done well given the mitigating circumstances and the limited pre season, but it's been madness at times with posession being exchanged every few seconds. Perhaps we need an older head in midfield to calm things down when we do have the ball. We should be looking for a minimum of the play offs, this club has slept for too long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
tintowner
May 1, 2023, 6:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
Unfortunately, I fear we are going to get served up pretty much the same as this season.

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
fishcake63
May 1, 2023, 7:07am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
The cup money & season ticket sales should be sufficient to challenge top 3 but i'd like to sit on fence abit & see who we sign
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
Mappers
May 1, 2023, 7:16am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.41
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,506
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from tintowner
Unfortunately, I fear we are going to get served up pretty much the same as this season.

Maybe that's a better question :

Would people take the same style (especially at home )
and a better finishing position .

Or a better style ,an identity to our play BUT a worse finish or on par with this season ?

I know in an ideal world it would be both , but going on this season ,the style of play in league 2  is not in the main conducive to success .

It's a hard slog of a league , I have mentioned before, on the whole most teams are at a pretty similiar level and teams wildly inconsistent .

I suppose if we are being pessimistic , goal 1 will be to get to 50 points and not 'do a Hartlepool' or a Grimsby from that short time ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Maringer
May 1, 2023, 7:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,680
Gold Stars: 189
Hoping for a top 7 finish next year, but I'd be happy enough with a top 10 finish (and a half-decent Cup run) if we can develop a more cohesive pattern of play and score a few more goals. It has been very haphazard at times this season and Hurst has chopped and changed so much because I think he realises that the quality isn't really there in the squad we currently have.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Your expectations for next season ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.