6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 28, 2023, 1:27am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
He made my (then) 5 year old son not only start watching football, but start liking Town too. He will always be my sons first football hero and because it’s a town player it’s made all the more special.

He gave us that massive spark last season to get us over the line and am sure he wouldn’t want to be singled out for praise but to say the whole squad were on it together.

Thankyou and good luck to you.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
SheepGTFC
April 28, 2023, 2:19am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +0 / -1
Approval: +288
Gold Stars: 6
Big Match John. Always delivered in important games 1 way or another. We wouldn't be where we are without his contributions and thank you for them!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
aldi_01
April 28, 2023, 7:19am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
When he went through for the equaliser in the final, he was the only player on the park we wanted on the end and he delivered, he generally always did in that situation.

Thanks for the memories. Enjoy your career…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
nedsnags
April 28, 2023, 7:51am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +70
Gold Stars: 24
Just like to say a big thanks John not only for what you achieved playing for us but for the inspiration and hope you gave to all the young town fans when you became there idol and they wanted to become the next “John McAtee”.Good luck and all the best for the future
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
GrimRob
April 28, 2023, 9:56am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,452
Gold Stars: 114
So many players come and go and are soon forgotten but McAtee has written himself into the history books. Will follow his career with interest and hope he makes the transition up.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 58
chaos33
April 28, 2023, 10:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,999
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from Poojah
There’s a moment that sticks in my mind, a moment when I realised we’d got a proper player on our hands. It wasn’t a goal, a piece of skill, or even an assist.

It was that game under the lights against Wrexham. The night you truly realised that football was back after Covid.

With the score 1-1, the game in the balance, McAtee chased a ball back to their ‘keeper on an absolute hiding to nothing. But the desire of the kid. He chased that ball down like a fúcking man possessed, watched the ‘keeper shít the bed and flung himself in front of the ball, getting a good foot on it as it looped back towards the Osmond and out of play.

In doing that, we conceded a goal kick. All that effort, just for that. But what it did was set the tone. It stoked the crowd. And it seriously got to Wrexham, y’know, for what wouldn’t be the last time that season.

In that moment he led from the front. His infectious swagger bleeding into his teammates. And that’s just what he did. In all the big moments last season, the moments that really mattered, he was there for us. Could we have recovered from that soft Mullin pen in the play-offs had he not responded, with the goal of the season no less, in a matter of seconds? He was our talisman. And what a fúcking fantastic talisman he was.  

I struggle to think of a player in my lifetime watching Town who did more for us in successive key moments than John McAtee. Kevin Donovan is the closest I can get to, and though it was at a higher level I’m still not sure his contribution was quite as significant. John McAtee pulled us out of some serious holes.

This season possibly hasn’t lived up to the huge expectations he set in 21/22, though I suspect there are plenty of mitigating circumstances. But I don’t really care; he’s given us some brilliant moments over the last two years. Astounding moments. Breathtaking ones. Some of the best of my years watching Town. Memories I will take to the grave.

Thanks John. You will forever be a Town hero. Go do yourself proud. We all know you will.

Absolutely this! I hope he reads it.
Once a Mariner, always a Mariner. Come back sometime John. You’ll always be at home in this family, and you’ll always be loved, admired and appreciated.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
April 28, 2023, 1:50pm
Guest User
Re John doing a lap of honour with the squad in our last game of the season, has his loan ended with us now, and if so, do you think Luton would let him attend that match?
Reply: 36 - 58
TownSNAFU5
April 28, 2023, 3:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
He stepped up at Wrexham and against Solihull - when we needed it most.

(Like Donovan at Wembley v Northampton).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
ginnywings
April 28, 2023, 3:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 123614
Re John doing a lap of honour with the squad in our last game of the season, has his loan ended with us now, and if so, do you think Luton would let him attend that match?

His loan is until the end of the season. The reason he wont play for us anymore is because of injury.

Can't see why he wouldn't be allowed to attend our last game, although we don't know if he has gone back to Luton for his treatment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
Mappers
April 28, 2023, 7:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,481
Gold Stars: 119
Don't think he can go down as one of the legends
But definately one of the heroes

I will always remember The London Stadium and that goal , followed by a very relaxed celebration . He must have been the only one .

Thanks & good luck to Mr Mcatee
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John McAtee

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.