HertsGTFC
April 27, 2023, 7:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from toontown
Brilliant, heart on the sleeve, totally committed player, that just happened to have real skill and talent too - he loved the fans and we loved him. It was a match made in heaven last season.

Loved his interaction with the fans off the pitch, standing on the terraces against Salford for example and mingling with the fans. He was hilarious at the play off victory parade.

Absolutely best of luck for him next year and he is one of those players who will always be warmly welcomed back at BP.

Ha ha ha…… I remember that video clip of him outside the town hall bottle in both hands, getting off his t1ts singing “Scunny get battered” … he deserved every bit of that moment.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 58
Heisenberg
April 27, 2023, 7:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
I’ve been watching town since the late eighties so I’ve seen a lot of championship football, but McAtee is a legend, full f#cking stop.

I hope Luton give him a chance and he takes it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
davmariner
April 27, 2023, 8:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Johnny f.ucking McAtee, what a guy. And what great memories he’s made for us.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 58
IlkleyMariner
April 27, 2023, 9:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Great to read about so much support

We should also thank Scunthorpe for lack of judgement and PH for backing his.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
forza ivano
April 27, 2023, 9:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
Good luck John , it's been a pleasure watching you.

Just try and keep your sensible head on........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 58
out of town
April 27, 2023, 9:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +717
Gold Stars: 10
A player who has given us all some fantastic moments that will last a lifetime. GTFC legend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
Poojah
April 27, 2023, 10:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,757
Gold Stars: 1,509
There’s a moment that sticks in my mind, a moment when I realised we’d got a proper player on our hands. It wasn’t a goal, a piece of skill, or even an assist.

It was that game under the lights against Wrexham. The night you truly realised that football was back after Covid.

With the score 1-1, the game in the balance, McAtee chased a ball back to their ‘keeper on an absolute hiding to nothing. But the desire of the kid. He chased that ball down like a fúcking man possessed, watched the ‘keeper shít the bed and flung himself in front of the ball, getting a good foot on it as it looped back towards the Osmond and out of play.

In doing that, we conceded a goal kick. All that effort, just for that. But what it did was set the tone. It stoked the crowd. And it seriously got to Wrexham, y’know, for what wouldn’t be the last time that season.

In that moment he led from the front. His infectious swagger bleeding into his teammates. And that’s just what he did. In all the big moments last season, the moments that really mattered, he was there for us. Could we have recovered from that soft Mullin pen in the play-offs had he not responded, with the goal of the season no less, in a matter of seconds? He was our talisman. And what a fúcking fantastic talisman he was.  

I struggle to think of a player in my lifetime watching Town who did more for us in successive key moments than John McAtee. Kevin Donovan is the closest I can get to, and though it was at a higher level I’m still not sure his contribution was quite as significant. John McAtee pulled us out of some serious holes.

This season possibly hasn’t lived up to the huge expectations he set in 21/22, though I suspect there are plenty of mitigating circumstances. But I don’t really care; he’s given us some brilliant moments over the last two years. Astounding moments. Breathtaking ones. Some of the best of my years watching Town. Memories I will take to the grave.

Thanks John. You will forever be a Town hero. Go do yourself proud. We all know you will.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 58
ginnywings
April 27, 2023, 10:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah
There’s a moment that sticks in my mind, a moment when I realised we’d got a proper player on our hands. It wasn’t a goal, a piece of skill, or even an assist.

It was that game under the lights against Wrexham. The night you truly realised that football was back after Covid.

With the score 1-1, the game in game in the balance, McAtee chased a ball back to their ‘keeper on an absolute hiding to nothing. But the desire of the kid. He chased that ball down like a fúcking man possessed, watched the ‘keeper shít the bed and flung himself in front of the ball, getting a good foot on it as it looped back towards the Osmond and out of play.

In doing that, we conceded a goal kick. All that effort, just for that. But what it did was set the tone. It stoked the crowd. And it seriously got to Wrexham, y’know, for what wouldn’t be the last time that season.

In that moment he led from the front. His infectious swagger bleeding into his teammates. And that’s just what he did. In all the big moments last season, the moments that really mattered, he was there for us. Could we have recovered from that soft Mullin pen in the play-offs had he not responded, with the goal of the season no less, in a matter of seconds? He was our talisman. And what a fúcking fantastic talisman he was.  

I struggle to think of a player in my lifetime watching Town who did more for us in successive key moments than John McAtee. Kevin Donovan is the closest I can get to, and though it was at a higher level I’m still not sure his contribution was quite as significant. John McAtee pulled us out of some serious holes.

This season possibly hasn’t lived up to the huge expectations he set in 21/22, though I suspect there are plenty of mitigating circumstances. But I don’t really care; he’s given us some brilliant moments over the last two years. Astounding moments. Breathtaking ones. Some of the best of my years watching Town. Memories I will take to the grave.

Thanks John. You will forever be a Town hero. Go do yourself proud. We all know you will.

Another key moment was the equaliser against Solihull in the play off final. The position he was in meant he had very little to aim at and beat the keeper, while still keeping the ball inside the post. He was almost dead on his feet by then having run himself into the ground.

It was a truly great goal and turned the tide our way.

Good luck John, you will be missed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 58
blundellpork
April 27, 2023, 11:01pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,668
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from ginnywings

Another key moment was the equaliser against Solihull in the play off final. The position he was in meant he had very little to aim at and beat the keeper, while still keeping the ball inside the post. He was almost dead on his feet by then having run himself into the ground.

It was a truly great goal and turned the tide our way.

There was never a doubt in my mind that he wouldn’t score. He was the only player i wanted to be in that position. You just knew it was going to be a goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 58
SouthLakesMariner
April 27, 2023, 11:38pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +941
Gold Stars: 21
Sometimes a player comes along with not just talent but with a presence and an ability to lift not just the crowd but also to elevate his team mates to new levels and possibilities.

John McAtee was our Cantona, a true legend and has written himself into Mariners history.

Thank you John - I hope you go on to have the successful career that you deserve.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John McAtee

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.