OddShapedBalls
May 3, 2023, 9:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Reynolds hinting at a Gareth Bale signing on his Instagram...

I can see the spanish papers now:

Golf
Wales
Wrexham

in that order....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 139
Mappers
May 3, 2023, 10:12am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.41
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,506
Gold Stars: 120
First up at BP will do get some hostility going , put Reynolds and the other bloke up in that commentary gantry in the upper .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 139
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 3, 2023, 11:37am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from Mappers
First up at BP will do get some hostility going , put Reynolds and the other bloke up in that commentary gantry in the upper .

No, no, no.....if we're going to be doing that we want to be playing them on a Tuesday night in January. Let them understand what real cold is.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 139
Limerick Mariner
May 3, 2023, 12:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,744
Gold Stars: 138

No, no, no.....if we're going to be doing that we want to be playing them on a Tuesday night in January. Let them understand what real cold is.

And put them in the Main Stand - let them p!ss over their shoes in the dark...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 139
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 3, 2023, 12:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,319
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

And put them in the Main Stand - let them p!ss over their shoes in the dark...

On a night where you have to warm your hands up before you get the old boy out.

Is this Hollywood enough for you Deadpool?  

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 139
bedders78
May 3, 2023, 12:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +839
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from forza ivano

The Pope and Biden are flying in instead

I may as well say this now, Sue Cook has pulled out

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 139
diehardmariner
May 3, 2023, 1:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from Maringer
Driving to work yesterday, I bunged Radio 4 on to hear the end of the Today programme. Turned it off within seconds after hearing the words, 'Wrexham', 'Open-top' and 'Bus' in the same sentence. That's meant to be the country's premier serious morning news program.

Crappy editorial selections, that's for sure.

They've had their noses up the backside of Wrexham a few times in the past few years, none more so than when they so bravely fought against Sheffield United...against all the odds but just came up short.

Oh and we beat some side called Luton by some score or other.

Private Message
Reply: 136 - 139
diehardmariner
May 3, 2023, 1:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,716
Gold Stars: 543
I suppose we are becoming obsessed with the obsession, but it's just nauseating isn't it?  

This faux interest isn't because of Wrexham and how much their real fans deserve it.  It's all because of the cult of personality that surrounds Reynolds (less so McElhenney).  

As little as six years ago Lincoln City won the Conference in the same season that they got to the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup only to fall against Arsenal.  This is Arsenal who went onto win the FA Cup, finish 5th in the Premier League (a single point outside the top 4 places and Champs League qualification) and got to the last 16 of the Champs League that season.

Lincoln came from adversity just a matter of months prior to doing that.  Their story was genuinely interesting.  The Cowley's took them from non-entities to winners.  Footnotes of acknowledge and recognition.

Our story last season was more interesting.  From the depths of engaging a conman, right through to white knights riding to the rescue and absolutely against the odds bouncing back at the first time of asking.  Anyone with no connection to Grimsby wouldn't even be aware it happened.

There's hundreds of more interesting stories than Wrexham who have just lobbed money at it.  They've not adopted a smart approach, they've not done anything unique.  They've spent fees on wages that clubs two leagues above can't compete with.  They got a guy with 8 England caps to come out of retirement to play for them.  It's Championship Manager with the Edit function on levels of stupidity.

Their story is dull as intercourse.  But people are engrossed because their owner is mega-famous.  

I don't begrudge them success.  I don't really care too much that they've bought their way to that success, at every level there's always at least one club who outspends the rest.  That's the nature of a competitive sport.  But I am flipping tired of the fawning over them when it's not really a congratulations for the side or the club, it's a pathetic attempt at adulation towards a Hollywood superstar.  
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 139
Mappers
May 3, 2023, 1:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.41
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,506
Gold Stars: 120
There is loads more interesting stories

Luton
Us
Lincoln
Wycombe
Harrogate
Accrington
Carlisle (potentially)
Sutton Utd

They are the stories that give clubs hope
I don't dislike Wrexham one bit but it's not hope they are giving , just a false underdog narrative based on money and glory ; it may well take them through the leagues - however I know which way I would want relative success and it's not this Wrexham way  . I enjoy what we are now, the Yank and Canadian can shove Wales up their arses .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 139
RonMariner
May 3, 2023, 5:34pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,860
Gold Stars: 230
It’s celebrity obsession nothing more. If it was just local millionaire blowing a fortune to buy success no one would care. It happens all the time.

Enjoy it while you can Wrexham because the minute Reynolds’s gets a new hobby you are in trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 139
14 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.