Reply: 40 - 56
lukeo
April 20, 2023, 5:59am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,416
Gold Stars: 149
I was 9 years old and remember being in the YEB club (now a lidl) and my mum saying if we get to Wembley again I can go. So I managed to get to the 2nd game. I can't remember much, just the singing afterwards and standing on the chair taking it all in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 56
Les Brechin
April 20, 2023, 8:44am

Posts Per Day: 4.16
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,727
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from lukeo
I was 9 years old and remember being in the YEB club (now a lidl) and my mum saying if we get to Wembley again I can go. So I managed to get to the 2nd game. I can't remember much, just the singing afterwards and standing on the chair taking it all in.

The YEB club! That brings back a few memories. Monday nights after snooker we often had a lock-in there and left at stupid o'clock in the morning. Taught me one thing though that it's not always a good idea to play cards for money after a few beers. (Not always though!)  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
Mappers
April 20, 2023, 3:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.42
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,506
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I’d just finished uni and was working at bootlegger in meggies but had already told them I had plans for the Bournemouth game. They said I couldn’t have the Northampton game off and told me to not even bother phoning in sick! So I didn’t!

I’d seen England play at Wembley a fair few times prior to the Bournemouth game, but nothing will ever beat how proud I was of seeing town there the first time. I was with my best mates, the same ones that I’d been with watching town in front of 3500-4000 fans, and town were now playing at the home of football. I get emotional thinking about those 6 weeks now

Similiar sort of thoughts to me the period between the euphoria of Euro 96 and THAT season were my most enjoyable watching Town and football in general , the country just seemed a happy place and life was good ;  at the time you take times /things like that for granted , but they really were once in a lifetime memories .

Still watch that Northampton game back sometimes , just to see how superior we were to them and how King Kev sat big Woodman down .

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
Mayaman
April 20, 2023, 3:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,442
Gold Stars: 74
Bailey's goal celebration , the cringiest ever?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
Poojah
April 20, 2023, 8:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,527
A random thought occurred to me in the car earlier. The day we beat Bournemouth at Wembley, Alan Buckley was 2 years younger (46) than Paul Hurst (48 ) is now. Technically Buckley would turn 47 the next day, but there’s still about 18 months in it.

Maybe it’s just me, or a quirk of the fact I was only really a kid during AB’s first two stints, but in my mind’s eye he seems much older, then, than our Paul does now.

Apologies if reading that has wasted 15 seconds of your time, I just found it mildly interesting.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
It Bites
April 20, 2023, 8:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,217
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Abdul19

Strange seeing those goals without it cutting to some blokes in the pub

That was some awful editing and ruined the recording for me
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
Abdul19
April 20, 2023, 9:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,615
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Poojah
A random thought occurred to me in the car earlier. The day we beat Bournemouth at Wembley, Alan Buckley was 2 years younger (46) than Paul Hurst (48 ) is now. Technically Buckley would turn 47 the next day, but there’s still about 18 months in it.

Maybe it’s just me, or a quirk of the fact I was only really a kid during AB’s first two stints, but in my mind’s eye he seems much older, then, than our Paul does now.

Apologies if reading that has wasted 15 seconds of your time, I just found it mildly interesting.

I was talking about this general point the other day and came to the conclusion that people just looked older back then!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
HertsGTFC
April 20, 2023, 9:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,006
Gold Stars: 228
Seeing Town make that walk from the old Wembley dressing rooms and tunnel across the pitch like teams used to do apart from our kids and grand kids being born rates as one of the best moments in my life. I’d seen it done by “big” clubs on the TV loads of times but never thought I’d see it done again.

Remember getting there really early and driving into the car park it looked like John Kirk was directing the Town traffic into parking spaces.

Lucky enough to see it again a few weeks later, though it was the play offs which is always torture.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
jamesgtfc
April 20, 2023, 9:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,049
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Abdul19

I was talking about this general point the other day and came to the conclusion that people just looked older back then!

Michael Boulding is 47 and looks younger than some of our current players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 25 years ago

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.