Limerick Mariner
March 25, 2023, 12:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,746
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from 137

I can only guess that it is average home and away attendances - our loyal and large away following would be reflected in that.

I used your link to look at League 1 (where we hope to be after next season   ) and we'd be 15th with our home average.
The top 8 sides are all 11,000+ so we'll do well just to compete.

I'm not at all convinced that attendance numbers are needed to indicate we need a new ground, however.

We need a new ground FULL STOP. BP is past its sell-by date by at least two decades.
But we cannot expect our owners to magic a new ground out of thin air. So we have to keep waiting...  

It's not just the attendances either is it. Even if Blundell Park was rebuilt to maximise the capacity on the site - maybe 12k, the revenue-generating potential from hospitality would still be very limited - there just isn't enough under-stand floor area available.

I paid £210 for my Brighton hospitality package (I was in the West Stand not the Town hospitality allocation). Town sold 100 places and there were maybe another 50+ Town fans all told in the Brighton part. That's 30k of revenue from just away fans in hospitality and they have hundreds of places all-told. That's not going to happen every week in League 1, but Wednesday, Derby, Bolton, Ipswich could all sell maybe 50-100 packages for a Saturday league game.

Even one big stand like at Lincoln or Mansfield will have much more hospitalty space than the cramped McMenemy's area that we can offer.

What would be the potential walk-up sales of hospitality (excluding exec boxes) for a League 2 home play-off semi v Bradford? We couldn't charge £200 but we could certainly charge £100. Maybe 300 at £100 - £30k? That's more than our total walk-up match day revenue for a League game at the moment.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
Limerick Mariner
March 25, 2023, 2:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,746
Gold Stars: 138
And just to follow this up - only circa 70 seats not sold today. So based upon the Mansfield approach, with maybe 400 from Walsall, that would be a 7,500+ declared.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
immariner
March 25, 2023, 2:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
And just to follow this up - only circa 70 seats not sold today. So based upon the Mansfield approach, with maybe 400 from Walsall, that would be a 7,500+ declared.

Not looking good for today. Sub-5

Seriously, where is everyone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
HerveJosse
March 25, 2023, 3:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,209
Gold Stars: 145
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Usual suspects will be on then saying we never sell out so don’t need a bigger ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
immariner
March 25, 2023, 4:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from immariner

Not looking good for today. Sub-5

Seriously, where is everyone?

6100 haha Maybe not then. Was very sparse at Osmond end of the Upper at 5 to 3. The 3 rows around me are largely empty though
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
Mappers
March 25, 2023, 4:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.42
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,506
Gold Stars: 120
Loads of empty ST seats again ,they must just not be releasing them online when they cant go maybe 1k today i reckon .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
AussieMariner
March 25, 2023, 5:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,076
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from immariner

6100 haha Maybe not then. Was very sparse at Osmond end of the Upper at 5 to 3. The 3 rows around me are largely empty though

Have you considered taking a bath?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
March 26, 2023, 5:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from immariner

Yes, lots of empty seats around us in our part of the UF which is closest to the Osmond. Several near me are usually occupied by fans who travel a long way for home games but make most of them anyway.

As for the other empty seats, it still costs money to come to games on top of a ST, especially if you live away, and I think plenty of fans are spent up.

I've missed two home league games. I got a taker for one match and despite offering it out to friends for free, couldn't get one for the Colchester game.

It'd be fair to say that home games haven't been that exciting this season. I come over to see my friends and for many seasons that was the rationale behind renewing my ST.

Hopefully we will get more entertainment at home next season. UTM

Reply: 27 - 37
March 26, 2023, 5:36pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings

That average attendance figure for Mansfield looks unnaturally high to me.

They historically average less than 5000.

I have some friends at Mansfield and they did sell over 5000 STs for this campaign. They are struggling with injuries at the moment and their recent home form isn't brilliant so I expect some fans aren't making all the games.

I also know quite a few friends who go to watch Donny (I sometimes go with them. They have a great programme shop   accessible to home and away supporters) and they will estimate the crowd to be much lower than the official attendance. This may be because seniors (60+ there) can buy a ST from £159 so if you make less than ten games you haven't made a loss. Their early results belied their performances at the start of the season so I can imagine plenty have given up. It made our defeat at home to them that much harder to take.

Burnley used to put attendances in their programme which would also include the number if non-attending ST holders. That used to be over 1000. Brentford have 1000 empty seats each game on average out of a 17500 capacity at a time when they have only lost one home game to date.
Reply: 28 - 37
ginnywings
March 26, 2023, 5:46pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 800

I have some friends at Mansfield and they did sell over 5000 STs for this campaign. They are struggling with injuries at the moment and their recent home form isn't brilliant so I expect some fans aren't making all the games.

I also know quite a few friends who go to watch Donny (I sometimes go with them. They have a great programme shop   accessible to home and away supporters) and they will estimate the crowd to be much lower than the official attendance. This may be because seniors (60+ there) can buy a ST from £159 so if you make less than ten games you haven't made a loss. Their early results belied their performances at the start of the season so I can imagine plenty have given up. It made our defeat at home to them that much harder to take.

Burnley used to put attendances in their programme which would also include the number if non-attending ST holders. That used to be over 1000. Brentford have 1000 empty seats each game on average out of a 17500 capacity at a time when they have only lost one home game to date.

They must have had a significant uptick in attendances this season then for some reason as they usually average around 5000 or less most seasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Average attendances

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.