Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Legacy of our FA Cup run?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 253 Guests

Legacy of our FA Cup run?

This thread currently has 8,692 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
March 21, 2023, 6:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,284
Gold Stars: 266
another way of describing the legacy of the cup run, of last years play off, of 1878's influence is that it is now fun to support Town, it's easy to support Town, it makes you proud to support Town
Under Fenty it was a drudgery and a duty
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 71
Mappers
March 21, 2023, 6:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.41
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,506
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from forza ivano
another way of describing the legacy of the cup run, of last years play off, of 1878's influence is that it is now fun to support Town, it's easy to support Town, it makes you proud to support Town
Under Fenty it was a drudgery and a duty

Comedy at times though
Maybe our current custodians can arrange 'a night with '
Peter Swann & GetYourFacts right at Mcmenemys ,I would pay to see that show .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 71
WOZOFGRIMSBY
March 21, 2023, 6:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,023
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mappers

Comedy at times though
Maybe our current custodians can arrange 'a night with '
Peter Swann & GetYourFacts right at Mcmenemys ,I would pay to see that show .

Can Mike Newell be the support act

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
buckstown
March 21, 2023, 8:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,237
Gold Stars: 80
I think the club need to seize the initiative while the cup glory is fresh in the mind - for example get season tickets on sale sharpish and use the cup run for marketing. People have short memories, especially if this season fizzles out with  as series of drab home performances
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
HertsGTFC
March 21, 2023, 8:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from buckstown
I think the club need to seize the initiative while the cup glory is fresh in the mind - for example get season tickets on sale sharpish and use the cup run for marketing. People have short memories, especially if this season fizzles out with  as series of drab home performances

I agree that we need to move quickly on this not only to take the opportunity to ride on the back of the cup run but also just to give people some time to find the money.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
mimma
March 21, 2023, 11:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,580
Gold Stars: 78
We have momentum. Once you have it, keep it going because it is very difficult to get back if you let it slip. That was why we ended up back in non league under Fenty. He went for stability and consolidation rather than keeping it going.
don't for a minute think that the current owners will make the same mistakes that the old owner did.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
aldi_01
March 22, 2023, 6:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from mimma
We have momentum. Once you have it, keep it going because it is very difficult to get back if you let it slip. That was why we ended up back in non league under Fenty. He went for stability and consolidation rather than keeping it going.
don't for a minute think that the current owners will make the same mistakes that the old owner did.

You’re being generous with saying he went for consolidation and stability, that implies there was a plan. There wasn’t. We got back up and he sat back and literally did all the things that got us relegated in the first place…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
GrimPol
March 22, 2023, 7:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Mariner_09

THIS.

This is a genuinely once in a lifetime opportunity to capitalise on an awful lot of a) good will, b) good publicity, c) momentum and, more importantly, d) resources.

We won't get an opportunity to push the club forward like we've got now. Everything is there, it's not like last year given next season won't be handicapped by a short preseason and, probably, a budget that needed more to compete if we're really honest.

I don't think we'll storm the league. Wrexham, Gillingham and then all but one of Stockport, Salford, Northampton and Bradford are still going to be able to chuck more money at it than us in all likelihood. I'm hoping the benefits of the exposure and momentum and no short close season will mitigate that to some extent.

Quite right. The Stars Have Aligned This Season, we must Carpe Diem. Seize the opportunity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
gtfc_chris
March 22, 2023, 7:36am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,519
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from grimps

I think we’re allowed to have high expectations, I’m tired of a total lack of ambition from our fans .
A club of our size with our support should be at least a league higher

I don't disagree but I think the balance point is how realistic the ambition is against the level of competition.

Like many on here, I supported Town through the 90s when we were often a Championship team and my early away days were at fantastic grounds, so I agree that all things considered L1 should be our level. But since we were in the Championship there have been a lot of Clubs that have surpassed their reputation and standing of that era and progressed, whilst we declined. That isn't to say that it means we should now be happy to simply be in L2, but that more teams are realistically competing to play at that L1, meaning reputation and history aren't the markers they were 10/20 years ago.

Our ambition should certainly be to be playing in L1 within the next few years, but if we as fans try to expedite that ambition and expect too much too quick, we risk re-creating the discord between team/manager/owners/club that existed under Fenty, despite the fact everything about what we're doing right now is geared towards improvements in every area. After all the good that has happened in the last 18 months, I would be so downhearted to see fans turning away because they held the same ambitions as the Club but were too impatient/too demanding of the timescales to see it happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
grimps
March 22, 2023, 8:00am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,158
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from aldi_01

You’re being generous with saying he went for consolidation and stability, that implies there was a plan. There wasn’t. We got back up and he sat back and literally did all the things that got us relegated in the first place…

His plan was to finish 3rd from bottom every season with spending as little as possible ( he failed twice )

This is what gets me mad when people say we shouldn’t expect too much , we should be demanding top 7 every season as a minimum and after this season I’m expecting that
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Legacy of our FA Cup run?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.