Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Legacy of our FA Cup run?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 248 Guests

Legacy of our FA Cup run?

This thread currently has 8,694 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
March 21, 2023, 6:28am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.42
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,506
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from lukeo
I'm slightly concerned people are expecting too much for next season, I've seen and heard people mention promotion. We need to be realistic. Ideally this season if we can push on and finish top 12 then we've done well. Next season for me it's about progression and aslong as we're close to the play offs with a couple of games to go it's progression. Ideally I'd love for us to be in the play offs and with the way PH works I can genuinely see that as a possibility. But, as we all know, play offs are a lottery.

Are they though ?
Carlisle are having a good go at top 3 and they wont have a massive budget ,just a good manager .
Sutton are flirting with the play offs to and we gave them a lesson last week .
I am all for incremental gains ,but much like the NL league 2 is going to get more and more difficult to get out of over the coming years .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 71
grimps
March 21, 2023, 6:28am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,160
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from lukeo
I'm slightly concerned people are expecting too much for next season, I've seen and heard people mention promotion. We need to be realistic. Ideally this season if we can push on and finish top 12 then we've done well. Next season for me it's about progression and aslong as we're close to the play offs with a couple of games to go it's progression. Ideally I'd love for us to be in the play offs and with the way PH works I can genuinely see that as a possibility. But, as we all know, play offs are a lottery.

I think we’re allowed to have high expectations, I’m tired of a total lack of ambition from our fans .
A club of our size with our support should be at least a league higher
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 71
aldi_01
March 21, 2023, 6:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
We should be ambitious and to be honest, I’d imagine that the playoffs are the ambition within the cub for next year. That not to say they’ll lose their minds and sack Hurst in October if we’re not top 3. He’s here for the long haul and it most definitely part of the bigger project.

We need some years of stability and development, development which doesn’t necessarily mean on field.

It’s clear the ambition is more that just to survive like we’ve had for the last 20 years. The ambition is more than just making do and we actually have a plan and vision for the club. Perhaps that’s where the slightly hyperbolic ambition is coming from? We know the people in charge know what they’re doing?

That said, the disparity between clubs and wages will only increase next year should Reynolds FC come up...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 71
lukeo
March 21, 2023, 7:13am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,406
Gold Stars: 149
All I'm saying is back the boys regardless... I'm hoping for play offs next season, it would be great (if not this!) But if we don't quite make it, aslong as we've progressed and taken more points than this year then it's a positive.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 71
lew chaterleys lover
March 21, 2023, 8:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from lukeo
All I'm saying is back the boys regardless... I'm hoping for play offs next season, it would be great (if not this!) But if we don't quite make it, aslong as we've progressed and taken more points than this year then it's a positive.

I honestly think we have to grab this opportunity with both hands and have the ambition and the determination to make it happen.

The club us on the up,we are in a good place, we have committed fans and have got good income.

Now is the time to strike hard. If we fail then fair enough, but we should be aiming for promotion next season.

Football is so unique; once you get on a roll events seem to take over and as long as the club, and perhaps Hurst in particular recognise that better players will demand more in wages whether we like it or not we should have a great season.

I'm not expecting marquee signings but am expecting more recognised high end league 2 talent.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 71
HertsGTFC
March 21, 2023, 8:37am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,005
Gold Stars: 228
Legacy is an interesting word as it can mean a negative scenario, but looking at the current leadership and their desire for the overall betterment of the club rather than their personal gain I'm 100% sure it will be positive.

Maybe the legacy is just proving the theory that when the leadership, staff, manager, players and supporters are on the same page then you can achieve some notable success on the pitch, for a legacy to be truly meaningful all the stake holders mentioned above need to do their bit.

Leaders need to be trusted to lead, managers to manage, players to play, staff to deliver and most important of all to every contributor on the board supporters "support" - be mindful that as an individual supporter just because you don't like it that "it" might not be wrong.

Will we get promoted next year? Possibly, but it will be really hard as it's a competitive division and you would expect the NL promoted clubs if it's the current top 2 to have big resources and the clubs coming down will want to get back up. Will we be better than this season in the league? Yes I'm sure we will and year on year improvement is pretty much the expectation I have.

All I know is that the owners, players and staff will do the best job they can as the culture and mindset is changing from one of subsistence to one of growth.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 71
moosey_club
March 21, 2023, 9:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,320
Gold Stars: 229
Legacy......for the remainder of all time we were the first club to achieve beating higher opposition in every round to the quarter finals.
You can't spend that or squander that. It's in the record books...and should a league two club make a similar attempt pound to a penny "emulating Grimsby" will be a term used.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 71
Mariner_09
March 21, 2023, 10:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55

I honestly think we have to grab this opportunity with both hands and have the ambition and the determination to make it happen.

The club us on the up,we are in a good place, we have committed fans and have got good income.

Now is the time to strike hard. If we fail then fair enough, but we should be aiming for promotion next season.

Football is so unique; once you get on a roll events seem to take over and as long as the club, and perhaps Hurst in particular recognise that better players will demand more in wages whether we like it or not we should have a great season.

I'm not expecting marquee signings but am expecting more recognised high end league 2 talent.

THIS.

This is a genuinely once in a lifetime opportunity to capitalise on an awful lot of a) good will, b) good publicity, c) momentum and, more importantly, d) resources.

We won't get an opportunity to push the club forward like we've got now. Everything is there, it's not like last year given next season won't be handicapped by a short preseason and, probably, a budget that needed more to compete if we're really honest.

I don't think we'll storm the league. Wrexham, Gillingham and then all but one of Stockport, Salford, Northampton and Bradford are still going to be able to chuck more money at it than us in all likelihood. I'm hoping the benefits of the exposure and momentum and no short close season will mitigate that to some extent.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 71
toontown
March 21, 2023, 1:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Mariner_09

THIS.

This is a genuinely once in a lifetime opportunity to capitalise on an awful lot of a) good will, b) good publicity, c) momentum and, more importantly, d) resources.

We won't get an opportunity to push the club forward like we've got now. Everything is there, it's not like last year given next season won't be handicapped by a short preseason and, probably, a budget that needed more to compete if we're really honest.

I don't think we'll storm the league. Wrexham, Gillingham and then all but one of Stockport, Salford, Northampton and Bradford are still going to be able to chuck more money at it than us in all likelihood. I'm hoping the benefits of the exposure and momentum and no short close season will mitigate that to some extent.

Agree with everything you've said except to add that if notts come up you can probably add them to that list the way they run beyond their means plus possibly selling langstaff to boot. We still need to aim for playoffs tho with our budget boost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 71
It Bites
March 21, 2023, 3:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,217
Gold Stars: 266
The legacy will be that the club isn't going to lose as much money as JS mentioned . I can't see a massive shift in wage structure either tbh . The club needs millions spending on it .
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Legacy of our FA Cup run?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.