Grimsby2012
March 13, 2023, 2:06pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,464
Gold Stars: 22
We'll probably lose 7-0 but the day will be šŸ‘

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go aheadĀ Ā  If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your repliesĀ Ā 
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
LondonMariner43
March 13, 2023, 2:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,979
Gold Stars: 64
My main hope is that we do better than we did against Chelsea a few years ago.  That was pretty painful to watch - particularly sitting in the Chelsea stands!

I think the reason this cup run has been so successful is that we are a team that seems to play well on the counter.  This is why our home form, particularly against lesser teams, has been so poor.  Apart from the occasional defensive lapse, we seem to be able to contain pressure well and then get down the other end and cause a threat.

If we can go 20 minutes without conceding, the players will grow in belief and then who knows.  However, anything better than a 4 goal losing margin would be success!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
Bristol Mariner
March 13, 2023, 2:20pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
coach to london on Sat then another to Brighton hoping for beers Sat night in The Lanes.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
Poojah
March 13, 2023, 2:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,883
Gold Stars: 1,525
Quoted from LondonMariner43
My main hope is that we do better than we did against Chelsea a few years ago.  That was pretty painful to watch - particularly sitting in the Chelsea stands!

I think the reason this cup run has been so successful is that we are a team that seems to play well on the counter.  This is why our home form, particularly against lesser teams, has been so poor.  Apart from the occasional defensive lapse, we seem to be able to contain pressure well and then get down the other end and cause a threat.

If we can go 20 minutes without conceding, the players will grow in belief and then who knows.  However, anything better than a 4 goal losing margin would be success!

Iā€™m quietly confident that weā€™ll do better than that, not that 7-1 is a particularly high benchmark. Jolley got that game tactically badly wrong, and weā€™re punished by an extremely good team for our troubles. Man for man against 11 players who think and move so much faster than you do was a disaster waiting to happen.

Hurst has proven how good he is at setting teams up for big, one off games. In the last year alone weā€™ve beaten Notts County, Wrexham, Solihull, Plymouth, Cambridge, Burton, Luton and Southampton in such encounters, all of whom were placed above us in the football pyramid to varying degrees of extremity. You canā€™t fluke that.

Of course, Brighton are on another level to even those at the sharper end of that list; theyā€™ve routinely made top Premier League teams (including last seasonā€™s Champions League finalists) look very silly.

They have however already lost this season to a bang average Charlton team and, whilst this is clutching at straws a bit, I wonder whether playing a ā€œlesserā€ team upsets their rhythm a bit.

Iā€™ve watched a bit of Brighton since De Zerbi took over, and they play a very unique, interesting game. Almost like a hybrid of Man City and Liverpoolā€™s game - tiki taka in their own last third, invite and cleverly play through the press then go full ā€˜heavy metalā€™ on the break. Itā€™s a risky approach, but theyā€™re incredibly good at it.

Weā€™re not going to press as keenly or as quickly as their top-flight opponents; itā€™s going to be a different kind of game for them altogether, so it will be interesting to see how their players adapt to that.

Who knows? Brighton should prevail comfortably, but the narrative of a Town victory I couldnā€™t find in my minds eye when the draw was made has started to write itself, albeit only in my imagination. An early Brighton mistake leads to a red card, and itā€™s game on.

Iā€™ll continue to dream until itā€™s a practical impossibility. Football is the funniest of funny games.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
Son of Cod
March 13, 2023, 2:46pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Poojah

In the last year alone weā€™ve beaten Notts County, Wrexham, Solihull, Plymouth, Cambridge, Burton, Luton and Southampton in such encounters, all of whom were placed above us in the football pyramid to varying degrees of extremity. You canā€™t fluke that.  

And Crewe!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
The Caterham Mariner
March 13, 2023, 3:19pm
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +102
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from wuffing

PS: don't forget the other 621 Mariners!

PPS Don't forget the other Mariners who had to buy Hospitality to get to see the Brighton game too!!!!!
UTM

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUTĀ Ā you can't take the Grimsby!Ā Ā Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
Rodley Mariner
March 13, 2023, 3:23pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
To even compete we'll need to be at our best, them have am off day and us get some luck. Agree with those saying we have to get through the first twenty minutes like we did at Luton and Southampton but it's easy to forget they both had early goals disallowed for offside. They were both off but neither of them needed to be.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
lew chaterleys lover
March 13, 2023, 3:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,777
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Son of Cod

And Crewe!

And Manchester City, who to be fair pushed us all the way to penalties.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
LH
March 13, 2023, 4:05pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
The longer we stay in the game the better chance weā€™ve got. Iā€™m just going in the hope we can get a goal and that we fans can make some big noise to win some neutrals over. If and it is a huge if we can somehow get the win itā€™s a bonus.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
Theimperialcoroner
March 13, 2023, 4:10pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,283
Gold Stars: 103
We have to be 20% better than normal and they 20% worse. Thatā€™s massively unlikely, but imagine, just imagine. Weā€™ve had bigger individual upsets I think, Everton away was the equivalent of beating the current Man City side. However not club in the land has ever done what we have the chance to do on Sunday and it would be peak Town to go and do it. By the same token I went to Hartlepool and Hillsborough and Anfield so know what itā€™s like to get hammered. That would also be a very Town thing to do.
All that said Iā€™m more excited than Tigger after experimenting with speed so the weekend canā€™t come soon enough.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FA Cup Quarter Final Week

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.