wuffing
March 13, 2023, 12:02pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +851
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Hagrid
How incredible does that feel to be typing/reading that...

i know we have a game on Tuesday but i'm ridiculously excited for Sunday, not expecting a win, but i'm hoping for brilliant memories and a weekend of fun in a vibrant City with 4000other mariners.

We are travelling down on Saturday, hopefully meet a few town fans on the Saturday night for some drinks, and then get to the Amex around 1 on Sunday after some drinks in Lewes.

this is a week we'll probably never experience again, lets enjoy every single moment of it.

PS: don't forget the other 621 Mariners!

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 56
LH
March 13, 2023, 12:02pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,601
Gold Stars: 177
Hurst won’t let the players get distracted by it and they’ll be concentrated entirely on Tuesday being the consummate professionals they are. We’re allowed to be excited for what is a more than likely once in a lifetime, novelty event.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 56
Hagrid
March 13, 2023, 12:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,518
Gold Stars: 544
Quoted from Chrisblor

Billy big balderdash stuff. Imagine the outrage on here if it was the other way round and another League Two club were all excitedly posting about some cup match they were playing in the weekend after they were scheduled to play us. There'd be hoards of posters on here insisting Hurst printed out the posts and stuck them up in the dressing room to show how arrogant and distracted the opposition were.

How dare we not be excited for an FA Cup Quarter final, the nerve of us
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 56
Rodley Mariner
March 13, 2023, 12:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,258
Gold Stars: 180
Absolutely bizarre to be trying to police people getting excited about a game of this magnitude. If Sutton want to pin this post to the dressing room wall then they can knock themselves out. I suspect that rather than be motivated by it they'd just worry about why their manager gave a intercourse what a few fans on an independent forum think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 56
toontown
March 13, 2023, 12:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,273
Gold Stars: 70
I can think of few games less likely to distract me from an FA Cup quarter final away at a top half Premiership side than a dead rubber at archetypal non league boot it Sutton thanks.

Had plenty of these non league london suburb type away games during our years in actual non league.

Hope we play the Reserves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 56
RichMariner
March 13, 2023, 12:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,163
Gold Stars: 211
Yeah, I'm not missing out on the opportunity to get excited about our impending FA Cup quarter final appearance on national telly next Sunday — we may never see the like again!

I think, also, that we can be both excited about the cup game and also not be dismissive of tomorrow's game at Sutton.

Granted, it's only natural that those playing tomorrow night will have the cup game on their mind, even if they don't admit it to the press (or themselves). They're human, like us. I can't blame them for that.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 25 - 56
TownSNAFU5
March 13, 2023, 12:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
We are all worried about conceding an early goal.  Brighton are a big step up in class.

However, we have not conceded a goal in the first half of this cup run for just short of 6 matches,  (Plymouth after 5 minutes, We then scored 4 before HT).

The mighty Southampton have not conceded a goal in 3 of their last 4 matches. Their keeper named in team of the week today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 56
marinerjase
March 13, 2023, 1:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,682
Gold Stars: 147
The only thing that matters against Sutton is that whoever plays has the right attitude. If anyone thinks that PH, staff and players are just going there to go through the motions then that’s just more than a tad disrespectful and questioning their professionalism.

Supporters on the other hand..I’d argue it’s pretty hard to get excited about Sutton v Grimsby at the best of times..and reaching an FA Cup QF May happen once in peoples lifetimes..and that’s this Sunday…so if you want to start looking forward too it now…crack on.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 56
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 13, 2023, 1:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,320
Gold Stars: 309
Still working on tickets here. Still have irons in the fire.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 56
pontoonlew
March 13, 2023, 1:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Going down on the Saturday & staying 2 nights (got to make the most of it!)

Going with no expectation but in hope of at least something to get excited about during the game, winning again would just be greedy, wouldn’t it?!

Could be a once in a lifetime for most of us
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FA Cup Quarter Final Week

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.