8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
February 21, 2023, 3:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,682
Gold Stars: 189
Taylor is far from your regular brawny target man. He's not small, but he's not exactly massive and most of his threat comes from occupying the defenders and linking up play between midfield and the other forwards. In the modern era of giant defenders, he doesn't win a massive number of aerial challenges outright, but the ones that he does win tend to go towards his teammates and it's the lay-offs which make him more effective. It is the other end of the scale to the big forwards who use their physical attributes to achieve their aims.

The comparison with Lumpaldinho is a good one because he was never dominant in the air, either, but used his brain more than most 'big' forwards.

If you look at Taylor's record from his career, he has scored around once every six appearances yet has still been a regular in most of the teams where he's played. Says a lot about his general ability.

It will be interesting to see if we do try and keep him on for another season. I'd be happy enough if we did, but I don't think we could rely on him being available for the majority of a season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 78
Mariner_09
February 21, 2023, 3:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Taylor is very clever with the way he uses his body. He positions himself so he wins balls and holds up the ball when he really isn't favourite for. It enables us to get up the pitch well, he can win cheap free kicks and alleviate pressure. The difference he makes is tangible and fundamental.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 78
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 21, 2023, 3:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,028
Gold Stars: 190
What he brings to the overall squad is a different dynamic to the front line. It’s a different option for the defenders when playing out. It frees up mcatee so therefore giving the midfield more space and options too. It allows mcatee to play his natural attacking game and offers the wingers (when used) a target when crossing in. Not only that, it’s the hassle he gives defenders, irritating/annoying/hassling them. Drawing fouls and putting them off their game.

No, he’s never going to be a world beater or transfer for millions. But, he’s an important part of how PH sets his side up to play.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 78
It Bites
February 21, 2023, 4:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,217
Gold Stars: 266
I'm a bit mystified by the early post saying Taylor is a dying breed. That type of player is alive and kicking (literally) in league 2 - there've been no end of posts complaining that we got muscled out of games and we need players to be more physical.

While not exactly a Ryan Taylor, Northampton's No 9 on Saturday was a bit of a handful in the first half - he was physical, held the ball up, was a threat in the air and chased everything (he faded in the second half and got less to feed off as we took more control).

It's just lazy talk isn't it . There's some right units in the premier league right now
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 78
chaos33
February 21, 2023, 4:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,000
Gold Stars: 362
Interesting to see if he starts tonight.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 78
Mariner_09
February 21, 2023, 4:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.09
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from chaos33
Interesting to see if he starts tonight.

I'd be very surprised, he's only played 6 minutes in 3.5 months!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 78
ginnywings
February 21, 2023, 4:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from It Bites

It's just lazy talk isn't it . There's some right units in the premier league right now

Not according to PH in his pre match interview.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 78
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 21, 2023, 4:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,320
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from ginnywings

Not according to PH in his pre match interview.

I'm beginning to think that you can't believe a word PH says before a game - not in a Holloway 'I'm a lying tw*t' kind of way but he appears to say stuff that's designed to give nothing away to the opposition and wrong foot them in every way.

The problem is that it confuses us as well  

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 78
chaos33
February 21, 2023, 5:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,000
Gold Stars: 362
I’d be sort of surprised if he starts, and sort of not.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 78
Gaffer58
February 21, 2023, 6:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Emille Heskey was never prolific but basically played every game and was very highly thought of by his fellow forwards, Michael Owen being one who appreciated heskeys play, I would assume McAtee has a smile on his face when he knows  Taylor’s playing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 78
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ryan Taylor

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.