Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 258 Guests

A few things that bother me

This thread currently has 9,149 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
February 16, 2023, 4:37pm
Guest User
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
To be honest I don’t accept that the cup run has anything whatsoever to do with our league form, especially as a number of those brought in during the window are cup tied. Our home form has been poor all season not just since November when we thrashed Plymouth.

Simplisticly the ball spends far too much time in the last third of our half. We don’t have the ability to get the ball forward and keep it there and our midfield far too frequently give the ball away even when not under pressure. Would reiterate other posts I and others have made in that our recruitment has not been good enough and given we are not able to compete physically against most of the L2 opposition we really needed our midfield and forwards to be top level L2 quality players to compensate and unfortunately ours are just competent with no one particularly outstanding.

Didn’t really expect we would be pushing for promotion this season, although quietly hoped the feel factor bounce might take us there, but certainly expected us to be comfortably mid-table without any fear of relegation. Unfortunately that’s what we have and a couple of quick wins is urgently required to remove these fears.

And where are we going to get the money from to buy and pay the wages these top quality players will demand.  You're just repeating what has been said 100's of times on this forum.  PH has obviously been given a budget, and it can only stretch so far, many, if not all of the top quality players will be out of our reach.  Really, how do you not understand this?

Reply: 60 - 88
lew chaterleys lover
February 16, 2023, 4:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,774
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from 123614

And where are we going to get the money from to buy and pay the wages these top quality players will demand.  You're just repeating what has been said 100's of times on this forum.  PH has obviously been given a budget, and it can only stretch so far, many, if not all of the top quality players will be out of our reach.  Really, how do you not understand this?

Several of us don't understand it as we are one of the "big 6" daft as it sounds (as per an interesting Twitter account today) in the division. We are in the lowest division in the Football league (although I am glad to be even there after last season's miracle) and have crowds that would grace league 1.

We are not spending enough on players, however you cut it in relation to the size of the club, so something will have to give. I think Paul Hurst is as much to blame as to me he never aims high enough. He needs to start taking up the owners offer of money and being available/willing to talk about any player.

I posted earlier there are all sorts of ways to make the budget go further, but we also need to increase it. Nobody is talking about paying stupid money as we would never do that, but not being able to get a couple of league 2-ready players in the area we badly need is rather pathetic when we have such a good fan base, who in my opinion deserve a bit better in this regard.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 88
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 16, 2023, 5:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from 123614

Who are you to tell me what I do and don’t understand? Not all quality players cost loads of money you just need to have better recruitment and spending more money guarantees nothing. We spent money on Hunt who everyone hoped would be one of those quality players but to date that hasn’t transpired but he’s still young and he has time to come good. Green, Holohan, Morris are good pro’s but ultimately we need better and I would say pretty much every side we have played will have at least one midfield player who would strengthen our side, you telling me everyone of these is on more money than town pay or commands a big fee?

We might be repeating this 100’s of times equally there are those like you who seem to think everything is rosy and any decent player is unattainable. I’ve been going to BP for nearly 60 years and the quality of the football played by town in home matches has been, in the majority of matches, some of the worst and least entertaining I can remember.

As I said previously I was not expecting us to be pressing for promotion but I sure as hell expected better than we have had served up to date.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 88
February 16, 2023, 5:18pm
Guest User

Who are you to tell me what I do and don’t understand? Not all quality players cost loads of money you just need to have better recruitment and spending more money guarantees nothing. We spent money on Hunt who everyone hoped would be one of those quality players but to date that hasn’t transpired but he’s still young and he has time to come good. Green, Holohan, Morris are good pro’s but ultimately we need better and I would say pretty much every side we have played will have at least one midfield player who would strengthen our side, you telling me everyone of these is on more money than town pay or commands a big fee?

We might be repeating this 100’s of times equally there are those like you who seem to think everything is rosy and any decent player is unattainable. I’ve been going to BP for nearly 60 years and the quality of the football played by town in home matches has been, in the majority of matches, some of the worst and least entertaining I can remember.

As I said previously I was not expecting us to be pressing for promotion but I sure as hell expected better than we have had served up to date.

I don't think everything is rosy, far from it, but I don't keep on about things that have been beaten to death on this forum.  Dunno why you think the amount of years you have been watching town matters regarding this thread, but if we are going down that road, I have been supporting town for 72 years.  Again, money and location, end of story.

Reply: 63 - 88
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 16, 2023, 5:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,773
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from 123614

I don't think everything is rosy, far from it, but I don't keep on about things that have been beaten to death on this forum.  Dunno why you think the amount of years you have been watching town matters regarding this thread, but if we are going down that road, I have been supporting town for 72 years.  Again, money and location, end of story.

Well what should we discuss on this football forum, the weather? If it’s just about money and location we might as well give up then as Grimsby isn’t going to move and our owners will continue to run a tight ship and at present don’t appear keen on bringing in any other investors. Personally I think we might see some of those being loosened a little next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 88
arryarryarry
February 16, 2023, 6:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,050
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from 123614

Err you do keep on about things, the season we were relegated you kept saying we would win the next game and kept banging on about we would stay up when it was blatantly obvious due to that clown Holloway and Hurst's poor recruitment in the January there was only one way we were heading but you wouldn't have it
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 88
GrimPol
February 16, 2023, 6:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76

I’m pretty sure Rashford’s poor form had little to do with his free school lunch / universal credit work. It’s just an excuse for The Daily Mail to lay into him for being black, self-aware and for not following their Tory line.

More likely reasons for his drop in form were the abusive aftermath of Euro 20; splitting up with his girlfriend; United signing Ronaldo and Sancho; relegated to 2nd or 3rd choice set piece taker; being played out of position; playing most of 2020/21 with long-standing shoulder and stomach problems, recovering slowly from surgery on these and the general mess that Man Utd were until Ten Hag joined.

Much better to blame everyone else, than take some responsibility, I always find.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 88
February 16, 2023, 6:55pm
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

Err you do keep on about things, the season we were relegated you kept saying we would win the next game and kept banging on about we would stay up when it was blatantly obvious due to that clown Holloway and Hurst's poor recruitment in the January there was only one way we were heading but you wouldn't have it

Hahaha, 'poor recruitment' again, pathetic.

Reply: 67 - 88
February 16, 2023, 7:00pm
Guest User

Well what should we discuss on this football forum, the weather? If it’s just about money and location we might as well give up then as Grimsby isn’t going to move and our owners will continue to run a tight ship and at present don’t appear keen on bringing in any other investors. Personally I think we might see some of those being loosened a little next season.

You're twisting my words, I never said we shouldn't discuss football matters.  'They don't seem keen on bringing in other investors', you sure about that, are you 'in the know'?

Reply: 68 - 88
February 16, 2023, 7:05pm
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

Pathetic dig at me.  What I said referred to people who keep banging on about a poor transfer window, on THIS thread, NOTHING to do with what was posted in another thread, 2 years ago.  I can't remember that far back, and if you went to all the trouble of searching out everything I posted back then, well wow, you need to get a life!

Reply: 69 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A few things that bother me

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.